Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 06:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times

Advertisements

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...on-shot-killed

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/09/...ing-east-side/

It was known that Frank Q. Jackson had past run ins with the law but it is nevertheless a very tragic thing to happen to the Cleveland Mayor's family. Still, one has got to wonder how the Mayor could control the City and keep ordinary people safe when he couldn't even control his own family members and keep them safe. This could have been a random shooting and the police are investigating but given the young man's troubled past, I have my doubts. I believe he was targeted. After the initial grief subsides, people are going to ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 PM

194 posts, read 190,880 times
RIP to Frank Q., BUT he was a grown man who made his own decisions, including his affiliation with a local gang. His grandfather has been mayor of a major U.S. city since what seems like the beginning of time, so it's too bad that Frank Q. squandered the privilege of having a powerful and influential grandfather. It's disappointing that someone more deserving didn't have access to the opportunity that he blew.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...on-shot-killed

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/09/...ing-east-side/

It was known that Frank Q. Jackson had past run ins with the law but it is nevertheless a very tragic thing to happen to the Cleveland Mayor's family. Still, one has got to wonder how the Mayor could control the City and keep ordinary people safe when he couldn't even control his own family members and keep them safe. This could have been a random shooting and the police are investigating but given the young man's troubled past, I have my doubts. I believe he was targeted. After the initial grief subsides, people are going to ask questions.

Pardon my language. "Protect" is probably a better word than "control" in this instance.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
This is unbelievably tragic. I feel bad for this young man as well as Mayor Jackson.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:08 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
This is unbelievably tragic. I feel bad for this young man as well as Mayor Jackson.
It's the opposite of unbelievable. Try inevitable. Frank Q. was about as hardened a gangbanger as can be at age 24. May God have mercy on his soul.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:30 PM

230 posts, read 119,771 times
Family of those in high places are not immune from issues.

And it's not only in Cleveland...

Max Barry, the son of Nashville (now former) Mayor Megan Barry, died of an apparent drug overdose, the mayor's office announced. He was 22 and the mayor's only child.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/...7ffa1824a.html

Old 09-21-2021, 08:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's the opposite of unbelievable. Try inevitable. Frank Q. was about as hardened a gangbanger as can be at age 24. May God have mercy on his soul.
I didn't say the killing was unbelievable but unbelievably tragic. Whatever anyone thinks of the job Frank Jackson has done as mayor is beside the point -- I think he's done a pretty darn good job, myself -- the fact is, he himself is a man of the 'hood who scratched his way out, got a GED, then junior college (Tri-C) degree and progressing through law school, city council, its presidency and into the mayor's chair for the longest tenure in Cleveland history which, btw, coincided with the City's most impressive in-city economic growth spurt in my lifetime. (and his prep for and handling the 2016 Republican National Convention, after all the downtown growth Frank fostered in attracting it to Cleveland (as well as the DNC which lost out), was flawless and really enhanced Cleveland's rep worldwide).

But even given all that, Frank never left his tough Central neighborhood; never left his people behind, which includes its residents as well as his family. I'm sure he tried to do good for his family and set an example as a good role model; frank is always well dressed, well-spoken, and has an even temperament -- he rarely if ever raises his voice or belittles anybody. But he's human. While people accuse him of being an enabler of the murdered grandson who bore the mayor's name, he tried to protect him and, I'm sure, get the young man to do right. But what more could the mayor do? Frank Q. Jackson was a grown man of 24 capable of charting his own course. But unlike Grandaddy he could never escape the 'hood, psychologically, and it ended up costing his life.

Yes, I feel bad for the mayor who, btw, lost a drug-addicted female cousin just over a decade ago to Anthony Sowell, the infamous Mt. Pleasant mass murder. Frank Jackson has traveled the emotional wringer, for sure.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I didn't say the killing was unbelievable but unbelievably tragic. Whatever anyone thinks of the job Frank Jackson has done as mayor is beside the point -- I think he's done a pretty darn good job, myself -- the fact is, he himself is a man of the 'hood who scratched his way out, got a GED, then junior college (Tri-C) degree and progressing through law school, city council, its presidency and into the mayor's chair for the longest tenure in Cleveland history which, btw, coincided with the City's most impressive in-city economic growth spurt in my lifetime. (and his prep for and handling the 2016 Republican National Convention, after all the downtown growth Frank fostered in attracting it to Cleveland (as well as the DNC which lost out), was flawless and really enhanced Cleveland's rep worldwide).

But even given all that, Frank never left his tough Central neighborhood; never left his people behind, which includes its residents as well as his family. I'm sure he tried to do good for his family and set an example as a good role model; frank is always well dressed, well-spoken, and has an even temperament -- he rarely if ever raises his voice or belittles anybody. But he's human. While people accuse him of being an enabler of the murdered grandson who bore the mayor's name, he tried to protect him and, I'm sure, get the young man to do right. But what more could the mayor do? Frank Q. Jackson was a grown man of 24 capable of charting his own course. But unlike Grandaddy he could never escape the 'hood, psychologically, and it ended up costing his life.

Yes, I feel bad for the mayor who, btw, lost a drug-addicted female cousin just over a decade ago to Anthony Sowell, the infamous Mt. Pleasant mass murder. Frank Jackson has traveled the emotional wringer, for sure.

It is all the more sad. Drugs and violence are two very hard things to get out of a relationship from. Either way, if you let your troubled relative stay and try to rectify him/her or you kick him/her out of your life and shut the door from behind, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Money, jobs, and extracurricular activities alone will not save a soul from the depths of these problems. What is also needed is education and guidance, especially to ward of temptation into getting involved in these things. Unfortunately, no matter how good of a mayor Jackson has been, he's probably going to unfairly get cast by the media as a weak leader who is soft on crime because no major politician can have a close relative get killed and not get questioned about it. We here at CDF can have understanding but the media often does not care. Since Jackson is not running again, I sense this will probably enhance the narratives of the future running candidates.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
The grandson's body, hit by many bullets, reportedly was found near his dirt bike.

I heard/read another report that earlier Sunday that somebody on a dirt bike (I can't find where I heard or read about the shooter being on a dirt bike in the earlier shooting) had shot a 12-year-old boy and two men near a local recreation center. The implication that I made was that Jackson's grandson may have been murdered in retaliation for the earlier shooting. Although the 12-year-old boy was seriously injured, two other men apparently were the intended targets.

<<A 12-year-old boy and several others were shot in the same area later in the evening. It is unclear if the shootings are related to Jackson's death.>>

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/in...4-33ef986b32e6

<<According to the medical examiner’s records, Jackson was found lying face down in the side yard of a home.

A dirt bike was located near his body.

Multiple law enforcement sources told 19 News a female drove Jackson to the area shortly before his death.

Someone then ran up to him and shot him multiple times, sources said.... [was Jackson's shooter staking out the dirt bike?]

According to law enforcement sources, police are investigating a possible connection between Jackson’s murder and the shooting of a child Sunday night.

About an hour before Jackson was shot, investigators said three people--including a 12-year-old--were shot near the Lonnie Burton Recreation Center at the corner of East 46th Street and Outhwaite Avenue.

The shooting happened just a few blocks from the mayor’s East 38th Street home, which is also listed as Frank Q. Jackson’s residence in court records from 2021....

Sources told 19 News police are also investigating a possible connection between Jackson’s death and the 2019 fatal shooting of Antonio Parra in Cleveland.

Jackson was named a “prime suspect” in Parra’s death after a Volkswagen Passat he owned was seen speeding away from the shooting scene in August 2019.>>

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...after-shooting

Last edited by WRnative; 09-22-2021 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-30-2021, 10:48 AM

230 posts, read 119,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It is all the more sad. Drugs and violence are two very hard things to get out of a relationship from. Either way, if you let your troubled relative stay and try to rectify him/her or you kick him/her out of your life and shut the door from behind, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Money, jobs, and extracurricular activities alone will not save a soul from the depths of these problems. What is also needed is education and guidance, especially to ward of temptation into getting involved in these things. Unfortunately, no matter how good of a mayor Jackson has been, he's probably going to unfairly get cast by the media as a weak leader who is soft on crime because no major politician can have a close relative get killed and not get questioned about it. We here at CDF can have understanding but the media often does not care. Since Jackson is not running again, I sense this will probably enhance the narratives of the future running candidates.
I wish the "Rock & Roll" hall of fame which happens to reside in Cleveland would ditch rap. Music that glorifies the violent drug/gang "thug life" needs to be in a hall of shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland