Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 04:00 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I've passed through there several times over the years including last summer (a friend and I parked at Uptown and caught the late Red Line train back, but did not relish the idea of getting off at Little Italy late a night and walking under that huge RR bridge to the car -- so we Red Lined it to Windermere then Healthline-d it back to the car which was parked on Euclid.
Interesting strategy. Did you have farecards or did you have to pay for a transfer?

It's problematic to me that transfers are easier traveling inter-county than when riding on RTA's own system without a fare card (which offers free transfers). That's why I typically buy a day pass when I plan to use RTA.

Six transit agencies, including RTA, now offer free transfers | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Fact Sheet: Out-of-County transfers | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Here's something I didn't know, although I'm not certain how useful it would be unless arriving at Hopkins on a late-night flight.

<< All-Day Passes purchased after 9:30 p.m. are valid until 3 a.m. the second day after issuance.>>

Customer Service - FAQ | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Interesting strategy. Did you have farecards or did you have to pay for a transfer?

It's problematic to me that transfers are easier traveling inter-county than when riding on RTA's own system without a fare card (which offers free transfers). That's why I typically buy a day pass when I plan to use RTA.

Six transit agencies, including RTA, now offer free transfers | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Fact Sheet: Out-of-County transfers | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Here's something I didn't know, although I'm not certain how useful it would be unless arriving at Hopkins on a late-night flight.

<< All-Day Passes purchased after 9:30 p.m. are valid until 3 a.m. the second day after issuance.>>

We had all-day passes, which is what I almost always get unless I am certain I am making 1, 1-way trip, which is rare... RTA did away with transfers a couple decades ago. You either buy an individual fare ($2.25) or buy an all-day pass for $5.00 that is good for the day on all vehicles till 3a the next day. I believe you can also buy weekly or monthly passes for a discount.

I'm not certain about out-of-county trips or any fare agreements between RTA and Laketran or Akron Metro RTA.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:12 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Rather than a downtown loop what I would really love to see is the Shaker Rapid connect with University Circle/The Cleveland Clinic. These are such dominant employers for people in the Eastern suburbs, and the Shaker Rapid gets so close, but just far enough that it's not all that attractive as a transportation option.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
We had all-day passes, which is what I almost always get unless I am certain I am making 1, 1-way trip, which is rare... RTA did away with transfers a couple decades ago. You either buy an individual fare ($2.25) or buy an all-day pass for $5.00 that is good for the day on all vehicles till 3a the next day. I believe you can also buy weekly or monthly passes for a discount.

I'm not certain about out-of-county trips or any fare agreements between RTA and Laketran or Akron Metro RTA.
You have about 2 hours I think to transfer for every one ride you take.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:32 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It was mostly used during Browns games and pretty much never any other time. The station by the rock hall is kinda useless because most people visiting the rock hall are staying nearby anyway and it's easier to just walk it. The most useful station is the Flats East Bank station, it is nearby all the hot spots in the Flats. However, a problem with that is that there is still also massive parking there and the hours aren't late enough.

If that line could extend down already existing track to Collinwood/Euclid and also be a commuter line, that would be awesome, but it will never happen.
FEB is definitely the most useful stop.

I do want to note that the W 3rd Street stop also serves the Science Center, which my family would love to utilize as a 1-seat destination if the line weren't suspended. It's a full 20 minute walk from Public Square and is *not* served by the downtown trolleys.

Also, the Amtrak Station has lots of unrealized potential. If the Three C's train and more frequent trains to Chicago/DC/NYC become a reality, then a rail connection at the station would be a great asset.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
That's why I typically buy a day pass when I plan to use RTA.
Silly question, but can you buy fare cards / day passes on the bus?

I have always purchased passes at the grocery store or in Tower City.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Rather than a downtown loop what I would really love to see is the Shaker Rapid connect with University Circle/The Cleveland Clinic. These are such dominant employers for people in the Eastern suburbs, and the Shaker Rapid gets so close, but just far enough that it's not all that attractive as a transportation option.
I agree in principle, but I don't see it happening. For one, there isn't an obvious route to use besides just taking a lane or two from existing streets (which would still be worthwhile IMO).

But the bigger problem is that the idea is probably DOA. Politically, it's probably wiser to expand service to new areas, reaching more residents, even if that service is mediocre. Providing great service for the few residents who already have good service isn't going to be popular.

A UC connection would be far more useful to us than downtown though. My wife works there, and we frequent the events and institutions in UC far more than downtown. But even bus connections are poor unless you live within walking distance of Shaker Square.

You can't reliably transfer to the 48 because both it and the blue/green lines are on 30 minute frequencies.

Going to 55th to transfer on the red line isn't that attractive either since it is backtracking and you still have a bit of a walk from either red line station (or another wait for the 30 minute frequency CircleLink buses).

Old 12-06-2021, 09:08 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Silly question, but can you buy fare cards / day passes on the bus?

I have always purchased passes at the grocery store or in Tower City.
Yes you can get all day passes on the bus/train itself, provided you have exact amount ($5).

Old 12-06-2021, 09:54 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You have about 2 hours I think to transfer for every one ride you take.
Single fare tickets have NO transfer privileges. Passes have unlimited transfers during the covered period of use. Farecards offer one transfer within 2 1/2 hours of its first use for a single fare.

<<I ride two buses daily to get to work and two buses to get home from work. I often work less than five days per week. What other options do I have besides the All-Day Pass?

You can buy 5-trip Bus/Rapid farecards. Instead of receiving a separate transfer, the 5-trip Farecard will print the expiration date and time when you use it for the first time. Passengers paying fares with farecards are able to use their farecards as a transfer for 2.5 hours after the first use.>>

Old 12-07-2021, 10:56 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Seven-day passes are currently $25 and monthly passes are $95. (As far as I know they're half price if you're over 65 or disabled, with ID.)

I ride 4 to 6+ buses/rapids seven days a week, so a monthly pass is definitely worth it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: