Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM

436 posts, read 874,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yep, it's because they are expanding.
Not that simple, CC bought the surrounding slum in a cheap price, then build the new campus on top of them.

Also, CC police is the third largest station in Cleveland city.

Now you know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Sure, location has nothing to do with it

Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Did I mention this area, well at least parts of it ~ahem~, have a track record of being relatively stable, when compared to the rest of The Nation That's a pretty good reason to buy... in a neighborhood that isn't scary!

Still, I hear the greatest draw to The West, South and Far East Sides is Yard SizE.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
Is that your backyard?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM

Green space is nice. Particularly, when it doesn't cost taxpayers 500 million dollars to provide it

Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Green space IS nice. Especially when it's contiguous. 1/4 to 1/2 acre suburban lots, of which only half is ever used due to the inevitable plopping of the home in the middle of the lot, aren't very useful. Dense neighborhoods with plenty of parks (much larger than 1/2 acre) scattered throughout are much preferable (and useful) in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM

I enjoy my privacy

Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 AM

Good, that's why you have a house. What could you possibly gain from a 1/4 acre lot, like many suburbs have these days. And if you believe everyone should own 2 acres so they can hide in the middle of it for "privacy", then I would say you aren't a realistic citizen of this planet. There simply is not enough land to give people huge green buffer zones from every other person on the planet, and still be able to live off the land.

I believe the biggest detriment to society we have seen since WWII is the insular mentality that suburbs have created. Whereas places used to truly be communities, whether big city like Cleveland or small town like Gallipolis, people now isolate themselves as much as possible. They get a house on a lot with a green buffer from their niehgbors and still feel the need to fence it in. They don't even have to leave their house to get into their car. They then drive to work alone and park in a parking lot and head straight into their building, not having to acknowledge anyone else exists, except to perhaps exhibit some road rage on the interstate. At the end of the work day, they do it in reverse. We are replacing multi-acre city parks having basketball courts, baseball fields, and pool, with tiny backyard pools and 1/4 acre lots for the kids to play in. And we have successfully created an increasingly selfish, socially maladjusted society.

This has gotten way off topic anyways. How about some facts about whether or not buying a home in Cleveland is a good move. I believe it si a safe bet here because you will not make a lot of money, but you will not lose a lot either. If you are buying a home to live in, it's a safe investment. The Plain Dealer yesterday had a graph on home prices across the nation and around Cleveland. Cleveland's median home values did not skyrocket like the US average, but also has not plummeted like the entire country has either. So I think it's best to find a place you will enjoy living and buy a house there, and don't worry too much about "playing the real estate market".

Last edited by jam40jeff; 04-30-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Good, that's why you have a house. What could you possibly gain from a 1/4 acre lot, like many suburbs have these days. And if you believe everyone should own 2 acres so they can hide in the middle of it for "privacy", then I would say you aren't a realistic citizen of this planet. There simply is not enough land to give people huge green buffer zones from every other person on the planet, and still be able to live off the land.

I believe the biggest detriment to society we have seen since WWII is the insular mentality that suburbs have created. Whereas places used to truly be communities, whether big city like Cleveland or small town like Gallipolis, people now isolate themselves as much as possible. They get a house on a lot with a green buffer from their niehgbors and still feel the need to fence it in. They don't even have to leave their house to get into their car. They then drive to work alone and park in a parking lot and head straight into their building, not having to acknowledge anyone else exists, except to perhaps exhibit some road rage on the interstate. At the end of the work day, they do it in reverse. We are replacing multi-acre city parks having basketball courts, baseball fields, and pool, with tiny backyard pools and 1/4 acre lots for the kids to play in. And we have successfully created an increasingly selfish, socially maladjusted society.

This has gotten way off topic anyways. How about some facts about whether or not buying a home in Cleveland is a good move. I believe it si a safe bet here because you will not make a lot of money, but you will not lose a lot either. If you are buying a home to live in, it's a safe investment. The Plain Dealer yesterday had a graph on home prices across the nation and around Cleveland. Cleveland's median home values did not skyrocket like the US average, but also has not plummeted like the entire country has either. So I think it's best to find a place you will enjoy living and buy a house there, and don't worry too much about "playing the real estate market".
Excellent post.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post

You must not watch TV, you ignorant ass. You can get HURT out there!

And let's be honest, the real reason people get 1/2 acre lots is because the gargantuan chunk of time that it takes to maintain the property gives them an excuse to not go for what they really want in life. People ask them, "So, why don't you write a book or join a community organization? You always talk about it." And the person responds, "But I'm so BUSY all the time! All I do is work on the house and yard the whole weekend! But it's ok, because THAT'S WHAT GOOD AMERICANS DO WITH THEIR TIME!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland