Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times

Advertisements

The best way to survive and thrive in a Cleveland Winter is to get a rear wheel vehicle, with a very large V-8 engine. Then, take it out and see if you can do some doughnuts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Very sad for you. I am in the process of moving back to Cleveland. I have lived all over the US, and am coming back b/c of the great things Cleveland does have. Winter can be lovely, even on the grey days...if you aren't a depressed person. I know people get Seasonal Depression (so please don't come back at me with that), but knowing that winter is just a season like all others, and you can escape on a vacation to rejuve...comm'on.
Cleveland has some of the best schools. I currently reside in FL which has sun year round..BUT..it has crap schools, bugs the size of TX, fire ants in every lawn, Blazing heat that makes your a** stick to your car seat, nothing but retirees who will never pass a tax levy to help the area, no museums, culture, arts, everyone is transient~ so their is no hometown pride, no sports teams (for the most part...and if they have them, their fans suck b/c they go to the games to see the teams they grew up with play..), and I could go on. There are NO JOBS in FL, and if you find one, you'll make 1/2 what you make anywhere north of Georgia. Ohio is suffering the same as most of the country. You sound bitter and your comments are so grossly overblown. I'm sorry if something horrible is happening to you, but Cleveland actually has a lot to offer most people.
On that note...got an email from one of the managers I oversee. This person is from the Southeast originally, but currently residing in TX. When he found out we were moving back to Cleveland...he said "Good for you, Cleveland is a great town. I worked there for a couple years on a project, and I really enjoyed it. The winters are rough, but overall...you are making a great move". Now, that came from someone who has lived in 30 of the 50 states.
I'm not saying that Cleveland is the worst place to live but you are in for a rude awakening. Give it 6 months from when you get here.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I'm not saying that Cleveland is the worst place to live but you are in for a rude awakening. Give it 6 months from when you get here.
About what? Why do people say these things as if everyone sees the world through the same prism?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
About what? Why do people say these things as if everyone sees the world through the same prism?
Wether people "see" things the same way or not, has absolutely no bearing on what is real and what isn't.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 PM

236 posts, read 695,601 times
Good feedback. Because we want to live in Shaker or Cleveland Heights where taxes are sick (Shaker in particular), population is declining, demographics are marginal, and schools questionable...to slowing declining (in Shaker...CH as most of you know already blows) it makes sense to rent. I'll pay the taxes in the form of higher rent but won't have to deal with the repair bills (or the worry) of having to deal with a 60+ year old home. We'll take our cash and invest in rental properties in the south where we can break even on cash flow but know (or at least of higher probability) that long term, due to population growth and selective acquisition in supply constrained infill locations that the value will increase.

To an earlier point, it is fairly expensive to rent in these two submarkets because of the demand for rental property thanks to the Clinic, Case and schools in Shaker (today), so we'll pay a premium, but for the flexibility to move and not have to worry about price depreciation or god forbid selling home a home in Cleveland (suburbs) it's probably worth it.

It's easy to say if you know you'll be somewhere for longer than 5 years than it makes sense to buy but in my situation, while I'd love to be settled for 5 years + who really knows.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
she's not even here yet, that's all i am saying.. let's see if she's tooting the same horn in 6 months... how possibly can you say a place is so great if you dont live here or haven't for years.. Heck, maybe she'll love it... but lets see..
I don't hate Cleveland... however i don't love it either..

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM

191 posts, read 442,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
she's not even here yet, that's all i am saying.. let's see if she's tooting the same horn in 6 months... how possibly can you say a place is so great if you dont live here or haven't for years.. Heck, maybe she'll love it... but lets see..
I don't hate Cleveland... however i don't love it either..
I'm pretty sure she is a native from the area. And how come every time someone says they like Cleveland, the anti-Cleveland crowd has to jump in and tell us how bad Cleveland is?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Good feedback. Because we want to live in Shaker or Cleveland Heights where taxes are sick (Shaker in particular), population is declining, demographics are marginal, and schools questionable...to slowing declining (in Shaker...CH as most of you know already blows) it makes sense to rent. I'll pay the taxes in the form of higher rent but won't have to deal with the repair bills (or the worry) of having to deal with a 60+ year old home. We'll take our cash and invest in rental properties in the south where we can break even on cash flow but know (or at least of higher probability) that long term, due to population growth and selective acquisition in supply constrained infill locations that the value will increase.

To an earlier point, it is fairly expensive to rent in these two submarkets because of the demand for rental property thanks to the Clinic, Case and schools in Shaker (today), so we'll pay a premium, but for the flexibility to move and not have to worry about price depreciation or god forbid selling home a home in Cleveland (suburbs) it's probably worth it.

It's easy to say if you know you'll be somewhere for longer than 5 years than it makes sense to buy but in my situation, while I'd love to be settled for 5 years + who really knows.
The biggest problem with Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights is the high taxes. That said, you can find some good deals on nice houses in these areas and if there's a time to buy, it's now. I don't know if there are many other areas in the entire country that offer such quality houses for very affordable prices like one can find in CH and SH. And in the nicer areas of each respective city, "marginal demographics" aren't an issue.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Wether people "see" things the same way or not, has absolutely no bearing on what is real and what isn't.
That would be true for factual items. However, it was opinion that was being presented.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
I'm pretty sure she is a native from the area. And how come every time someone says they like Cleveland, the anti-Cleveland crowd has to jump in and tell us how bad Cleveland is?
native from "years ago" things and times change.... and did i say how bad cleveland is? just don't glorify a place that you haven't been to in years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland