Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You must not watch TV, you ignorant ass. You can get HURT out there!

And let's be honest, the real reason people get 1/2 acre lots is because the gargantuan chunk of time that it takes to maintain the property gives them an excuse to not go for what they really want in life. People ask them, "So, why don't you write a book or join a community organization? You always talk about it." And the person responds, "But I'm so BUSY all the time! All I do is work on the house and yard the whole weekend! But it's ok, because THAT'S WHAT GOOD AMERICANS DO WITH THEIR TIME!"

I appreciate the sarcasm, that was pretty good.

OK, I need to get back to building a bubble to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Good, that's why you have a house. What could you possibly gain from a 1/4 acre lot, like many suburbs have these days. And if you believe everyone should own 2 acres so they can hide in the middle of it for "privacy", then I would say you aren't a realistic citizen of this planet. There simply is not enough land to give people huge green buffer zones from every other person on the planet, and still be able to live off the land.

I believe the biggest detriment to society we have seen since WWII is the insular mentality that suburbs have created. Whereas places used to truly be communities, whether big city like Cleveland or small town like Gallipolis, people now isolate themselves as much as possible. They get a house on a lot with a green buffer from their niehgbors and still feel the need to fence it in. They don't even have to leave their house to get into their car. They then drive to work alone and park in a parking lot and head straight into their building, not having to acknowledge anyone else exists, except to perhaps exhibit some road rage on the interstate. At the end of the work day, they do it in reverse. We are replacing multi-acre city parks having basketball courts, baseball fields, and pool, with tiny backyard pools and 1/4 acre lots for the kids to play in. And we have successfully created an increasingly selfish, socially maladjusted society.
You're a control freak. One of those people who wants to micro-manage everyone else's lives. In the end, people end up resenting it.

Life does not end in The Suburbs. People talk to their neighbors, join clubs, go to church, spend time with their families, etc, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Nope, micromanagement (and control freak) is a Homeowners Association that tells you what shades of gray you're allowed to paint your house, what type of mailbox you're allowed to have, and what your landscaping must look like. Oh yeah, you pay them for this, too. Control freaks are the people that must have 1/4 acre lot because their kids can never be out of their site. The park down the street is just too unsafe, even in the safest neighborhood.

I never said life in the suburbs ends. I know plenty of nice people who live in the suburbs. I just believe on the whole suburban America is straining our country's economy, resources, and minimizing our society to a corporate monotony.

I am just stating my piece. I can't control what everyone else does. If it gets to the point where enough people in the US disagree with me that I have no choice but to live in a cardboard box in an area that requires me to drive to get ANYWHERE, and my only retail options are Wal-Mart, Applebee's, McDonald's, Home Depot, and their ilk, I will have no problem moving elsewhere. This is a great country, but that doesn't mean we don't have to work to keep it great.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Nope, micromanagement (and control freak) is a Homeowners Association that tells you what shades of gray you're allowed to paint your house, what type of mailbox you're allowed to have, and what your landscaping must look like. Oh yeah, you pay them for this, too. Control freaks are the people that must have 1/4 acre lot because their kids can never be out of their site. The park down the street is just too unsafe, even in the safest neighborhood.

I never said life in the suburbs ends. I know plenty of nice people who live in the suburbs. I just believe on the whole suburban America is straining our country's economy, resources, and minimizing our society to a corporate monotony.

I am just stating my piece. I can't control what everyone else does. If it gets to the point where enough people in the US disagree with me that I have no choice but to live in a cardboard box in an area that requires me to drive to get ANYWHERE, and my only retail options are Wal-Mart, Applebee's, McDonald's, Home Depot, and their ilk, I will have no problem moving elsewhere. This is a great country, but that doesn't mean we don't have to work to keep it great.
Cities do not = Diversity of Architecture; Suburbs do not = non-diversity of architecture. Maybe you just don't like how many Whites tend to live in Suburbs and how many Blacks don't. In any case, in regards to architecture, what you seem to be reacting to is modern architecture. Remember Henry Ford and the assembly line. All his cars looked alike.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM

This is part of The American Dream, because it is nice

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uima...ite-picket.jpg

Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
This is part of The American Dream, because it is nice

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uima...ite-picket.jpg
That could be in Youngstown, but the house is too old. I bet there are places in the city of Cleveland that might look similar, from the right angle.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Default Cleveland Used To Be Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That could be in Youngstown, but the house is too old. I bet there are places in the city of Cleveland that might look similar, from the right angle.
Sure, Cleveland is full of "has beens."

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Cities do not = Diversity of Architecture; Suburbs do not = non-diversity of architecture.
There are exceptions to every rule. Not so much to this one, though. Most suburbs are extremely bland architecturally, whereas most cities have quit ea diverse display of architecture. This is not what I hate about the suburbs, however. It is the car-centric culture and the lack of sense of place (mostly due to the layout). Of course, not every suburb is this way, but an overwhlemingly high percentage of places built in the last 30 years or so do fit the bill.

Quote:
Maybe you just don't like how many Whites tend to live in Suburbs and how many Blacks don't.
Did you really just pull out the race card? You're getting desperate.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Sure, Cleveland is full of "has beens."
It's easier to rehab a "has been" than a "never was". Many new suburbs won't last 50 years, let alone 150.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM

436 posts, read 874,204 times
I was in Chardon yesterday for the famous maple festivals. I am the only adult Asian Male among the whole huge crowd for the whole afternoon. I saw zero Mexican, 3-4 blacks, and several Italian flags in front of some houses. Anyway, I ended up spending a hundred bucks for kids ride, lots of pancake and Italian Suasage.

There are not that diverse display in that area, which is 20mile linear distant to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland