Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM

155 posts, read 460,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
I was in Chardon yesterday for the famous maple festivals. I am the only adult Asian Male among the whole huge crowd for the whole afternoon. I saw zero Mexican, 3-4 blacks, and several Italian flags in front of some houses. Anyway, I ended up spending a hundred bucks for kids ride, lots of pancake and Italian Suasage.

There are not that diverse display in that area, which is 20mile linear distant to Cleveland.
This surprises me none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
I was in Chardon yesterday for the famous maple festivals. I am the only adult Asian Male among the whole huge crowd for the whole afternoon. I saw zero Mexican, 3-4 blacks, and several Italian flags in front of some houses. Anyway, I ended up spending a hundred bucks for kids ride, lots of pancake and Italian Suasage.

There are not that diverse display in that area, which is 20mile linear distant to Cleveland.
Was da sassage good? I love east side Italian food. Mmm.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
There are exceptions to every rule. Not so much to this one, though. Most suburbs are extremely bland architecturally, whereas most cities have quit ea diverse display of architecture. This is not what I hate about the suburbs, however. It is the car-centric culture and the lack of sense of place (mostly due to the layout). Of course, not every suburb is this way, but an overwhlemingly high percentage of places built in the last 30 years or so do fit the bill.
Sounds like you haven't been to suburbs in the CT/NYC/Boston areas. Most suburbs have a downtown with mom & pop stores, excellent authentic food, mass transit (Metro North RR, Shoreline East RR, taxis, buses) and a town center that is walkable. Of course, there are some beautiful rural towns scattered in between that are car-centric, but the population is less. Also, almost all towns which fit my description above oppose big box retailers and chain restaurants.

Is it that Connecticut suburbs are different, or Ohio suburbs are bland?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

63 posts, read 230,649 times
mikemeatball,

the fest was much more diverse on saturday night...i too drained my savings there for 2 corndogs, fries and wristbands for rides.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sounds like you haven't been to suburbs in the CT/NYC/Boston areas. Most suburbs have a downtown with mom & pop stores, excellent authentic food, mass transit (Metro North RR, Shoreline East RR, taxis, buses) and a town center that is walkable. Of course, there are some beautiful rural towns scattered in between that are car-centric, but the population is less. Also, almost all towns which fit my description above oppose big box retailers and chain restaurants.

Is it that Connecticut suburbs are different, or Ohio suburbs are bland?
Good points. I am not condemning all suburbs. Cleveland has a few that are very nice. Most are older "streetcar suburbs" like Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, and Shaker Heights. Others have nice quaint downtowns like Willoughby and Chagrin Falls, even though those are now surrounded by cardboard boxes and congestion. Most suburbs I have seen, however, are as bland as can be, plopping down thousands of tract homes in 3 shades of gray, and big box stores and chain resturants line ugly 7 lane highways and are the only retail options for miles. It is these that I am against. Walkable suburbs with transit access and unique retail options are on par with larger cities in my book.

For an example of what too many suburbs are looking like these days, see Highlands Ranch in Colorado, any southern California suburb, or the video for the Rush song Subdivisions (filmed on the outskirts of Toronto).

New England suburbs are not much like the rest of the country as many of them grew out of old rural towns designed before the automobile dominated and when aesthetics still took priority over cost-cutting measures. I also feel that many New Englanders have an interest in preserving this feel than people in most other parts of the country.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Default Luddites

So, you want to ban the automobile and prefabricated construction

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times

and

Instead of:

Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
This

And This

Instead Of, This

And This

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
For the second picutre, shouldn't there be a bubble saying "all this for only $250k, plus I have to drop $20k per car since I have to drive even just to get to the local park or grocery store, and then each of the kids will need a car as well, and until then I have to cart them around EVERYWHERE, and then there's all that auto insurance, gasoline, maintenance, and did I mention all that time spent driving EVERYWHERE?!?!?! And golly gee, I thought I'd be so safe out here, but then I realized 3 times as many people die in car accidents every year than there are homicides. But, boy, isn't this tiny vinyl-clad bungalow so much nicer than all those large 4 and 5 bedroom well-constructed houses in the city with lots just as big and mature trees abounding?

Nah, I guess that wouldn't fit. So, yeah, your simple images really do tell the whole story.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Chef, you do realize that you would probaly pay 6 figures for that Cadillac, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland