Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,704 times

Advertisements

I'm a die-hard Clevelander. I don't really care about the jokes, negative press, the Cuyahoga River burning or the "mistake on the lake" jokes. If you think Cleveland is bad, spend a little time somewhere else. No matter where you live, it's what you make of it. If you let the negativity of people that are unhappy no matter WHERE they are get to you, then you're not gonna be happy to be here or anywhere else. And God knows the last place you should be getting your information is through the media!!!
I love it here, I moved back after 22 years in another state and when I crossed the Ohio border, I came alive!! It is great to be home and I'm staying. The seasons, the culture, the people, the beauty of the Ohio landscape, our ability to roll with the changes over the past 50 years is reason for every Clevelander to celebrate! So give yourselves all a big pat on the back and keep bein' proud to be in the Rock and Roll Capital of the World!!
In case you haven't notice, the entire country is going downhill. No cities or rural areas are what they used to be. Make the best of a great city with so much to offer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Cleveland has the lakefront and some interesting architecture, particularly downtown. It's come a long way in a period during which just about every economic force has worked against not just Cleveland but the entire region. Old jokes, misconceptions and stereotypes die hard. Not that anyone from Texas would know about that.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM

50 posts, read 110,030 times
Cleveland, an overpriced city? Head to the Improv on Wednesdays before noon, they have open mic auditions.

Someone mentioned our Imax theatre, is that place ever gonna play regular movies? I would've loved watching Avatar in there. Or The Dark Knight, or Up, or Superman Returns, Or.... yeah you get the idea.

So the downtown population was WORSE? That's sad man. Whenever out of town friends come and visit or I meet people who are just passing by, they always comment on how empty our downtown is. I don't disagree either, I've been to other cities, I've seen their downtowns. So much more activity...

Tower City... I feel like that place embodies the story of this city. It started pretty small, all these huge plans were created for it, thoughts of putting upscale retailers like Gucci, Dolce & Gabana, Coach etc. only to become a hangout and overrun by black east side high schoolers before the city finally stepped in. Now, it's an "average" mall @ best ( and I feel like that's being nice ) with none of the stores that make people flock to Southpark/Beachwood/Great Northern.

To answer the OP's original question: Is Cleveland bad? If you live in the suburbs and work in suburbs/an actual nice area of Cleveland proper then no. If you come by my neck of the woods, you better stock up on your anti-depressant meds.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
1,000,000% agree about our Imax. Why aren't they playing regular movies?

Also agree you are one heck of a pessimist, Nemuri. My god man MOVE already if you are that miserable.

I lived in Cleveland and worked in Cleveland and I loved it. People who live in the 'Burbs and work in the 'burbs and only come downtown for a Cavs game have NO idea what they are missing.
Now I live in Cleveland and work in a suburb... my commute ROCKS now but I really miss being downtown.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM

191 posts, read 442,705 times
I unfortunately work with a bunch of suburbanites in Westlake. It's amazing how little people know about the city and how amazed they are when they find out things like East 4th and the West Side Market. But the good news is the more they find out about the city the more they like. It just hurts when something bad happens like the Anthony Sowell last year and everybody has to use it to justify their boring and bland life.

IMAX definitely needs to expand their offerings. I enjoy seeing the movies they currently have but they only change every couple of months if not longer. We need to use all our resources to get people into the city and not just to come to sports games.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM

I sent the Science Center an email asking why they don't have regular movies there. No reply yet.
Maybe if a few other folks asked the same question they might think it a good idea. *hint*

Email address: andreskij@glsc.org

Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
I do not think Cleveland is a bad city to live in at all. Cleveland is a dynamic city that ooze with history and character. The architecture isn't bad either, although I will say Cincinnati wins in that department. Other than that, Cleveland is my favorite city in Ohio. I've often thought, if I do stay in Ohio, I'm moving to Cleveland. (Shhhh, don't tell the people in the Cincinnati forums I said that.)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Cleveland definitely needs to make better use of the lakefront. With a city of Cleveland's magnitude, you would expect there to be more activity happening on the lake.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
I've lived all over the country and came back home to Cleveland. While it certainly has its share of issues (as any city does), it has great people, great neighborhoods, and a lot of culture/arts/history/sports (albeit bad), waterfront, beach, boating, etc. This is MUCH more than you can say about many cities out there.
Hey, lots of people knock it who have never lived here. Unless you are living under a rock, or a terrible hermit...if you've ever lived here...you wouldn't pay any attention to the negative press. Cleveland is a great town, to live in, to grow up in, and to work in...minus the RITA taxes. lol

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
I unfortunately work with a bunch of suburbanites in Westlake. It's amazing how little people know about the city and how amazed they are when they find out things like East 4th and the West Side Market. But the good news is the more they find out about the city the more they like. It just hurts when something bad happens like the Anthony Sowell last year and everybody has to use it to justify their boring and bland life.

IMAX definitely needs to expand their offerings. I enjoy seeing the movies they currently have but they only change every couple of months if not longer. We need to use all our resources to get people into the city and not just to come to sports games.
Anyone who isn't new to the Cleveland area knows about E.4th and West Side Market. I find it hard to believe residents of Westlake don't know about these things. Actually, I refuse to believe it. You are probably dealing with people who just moved to Cleveland.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM

I agree with Boffo. Sure everyone has HEARD of the Westside Market. Everyone has HEARD of the Corner Alley and East 4th. Hearng about it and experiencing it.... 2 different things.
How many of those "suburbanite Westlakians" have actually been inside either?
Sadly, I would guess, not many. Many of the same people who say "Cleveland sucks... there's nothing to do here..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland