Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

That is quite a story yellowrose. I was only 7 but I remember it very well. We were at Painesville Speedway when it started. I remember the rain and power lines being down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,292 times
Default bargain fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mosna View Post
Does anyone remember a place called "Bargain Fair" in Mentor? It was on route 20 near where the Great Lakes Mall is now. It was an old barn that sold almost everything, kind of like a WalMart or Home Depot. It operated in the 50's.
Dear Mr. Mosner
I remember Bargain Fair very well, I met my husband there as he worked there for a few years. I also grew up in Willoughby and we were just trying to remember when it closed. It was a combination of Walmart and Home Depot. Was an old Dairy Barn. My husband worked there in the late 50's and early 60's in the sporting goods, tools and camera department also in the lawn and garden in the front of the building.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
Default Polish Boy

I used to eat 10 Polish boys a week when I lived on Hampshire and I almost puked when I went back and saw the parking garage. I've matched the kielbasa, the slaw, the fries, and the bun, but I just can't find a comparable hot sauce. Does anyone know what they used? Rosie, are you out there?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

129 posts, read 346,415 times
When I was 3, I was on the Paige Palmer Exercise Show. I had the mat, rubber straps, and barbell for years afterward.
When I was 5, I was on Romper Room. The two most vivid menories are the HUGE cookie with the tiny chocolate chips (from Hough Bakery, maybe?) and learning about TV magic from the end sequence. When Miss Barbara said "Romper stomper bomper boo, tell me tell me tell me who..." she held up one mirror, but then switched it out for the other mirror with the cutout for reading the kids names off a card. I was very disappointed to learn it wasn't real magic, it was special effects! (maybe why I'm such a cynic now...)

Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
I'm from east side off east 55th and St Clair. ST Vitus catholic School is my elementary school for 8 years had a blast there we tried to drive the nuns crazy. My mom and aunt were the Kendall Sisters and they are in the Polka Hall of Fame there. Love Christmas in Cleveland I think that's why the Christmas Story movie is my favorite. We left in 68 my sister got beat up on the bus coming home from Collinwood High School because she was white. So glad to have left and will never go back. Childhood memories are awesome but after elementary school it went to hell. Scary place to live.
THe best bakeries in the world. Lamont's pizza on St clair best ever, Maple Lanes on St Clair and east 69th used to help set pins with my best friend her Mom and Aunt owned it.Boot hoppin! I make potica myself and Klophe order my sloveian sausage from Riddells up there so I keep those traditions in the family.

Last edited by diane baker; 06-29-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
Love this thread! I'm only on page 16 so forgive if some of this has been mentioned. Been gone 30 years but moving back!

--the reggae band I-tal LOOOOVED them
--Spankys bar on the west side. My friends brother came home after going there one night in the early 70's and said " Wow, heard a great new band tonight called HEART!"
-- Swedish Smorgasbord (?) restaurant by Midway Mall- different and yummy at least to a kid
--flying in the Tin Goose to PIB. I can still smell the inside and hear the clacking folding chairs. My plane freak husband is sooo jealous that I flew in one (many many times).
-- i got to interview Dorothy Fuldheim for high school in the 70's. I was sooo intimidated. She was curt and in a big hurry " I only have 5 minutes!". But I must have asked the right questions because her whole demeanor changed and we were there over an hour. I threw out the interview years ago...stupid!
--wasn't Earl Scheib local originally. I hated those commercials

July 4, '68. I was sitting in a large building listening to a program and the one entire wall was nothing but floor to ceiling glass windows. When the "night" and then the deluge hit the glass we all just stared in amazement before someone finally "came to" and said "Get away from the windows!"

People make fun, but i had a great childhood in C. We had the best stations MMS and CKLW and just a whole lot of fun!
Rock on!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,864 times
Franz the Toymaker?! If you water-boarded me I couldn't have come up with Franz!

I grew up near St. Ignatius (West Blvd./Lorain) and later West Park (Lorain Rocky River Dr.)

I remember riding on West Blvd. and through the curves near Madison.

I remember a couple of great Royal Castles in the area (the Birch Beer!!! and mini-burgers)

I remember Barnaby saying "If anybody calls tell 'em Barnaby says hello, and tell 'em I think that you are the nicest person in the world... just you."

I remember not only MMS, but WNCR (better, if you ask me)

I remember bands that only Clevelanders knew, like Artful Dodger

How about this one: I remember the Dairymen's sign on the Shpreway that poured milk from the bottle to the glass!

Last edited by drb0505; 07-04-2010 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: more ideas

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,026 times
Default Dairy

Dairy-Deelight on W. 44th and Bridge. IT IS STILL OPEN
AND HAD A LINE of PEOPLE TO GET SOMETHING COLD Go , figure
today it was 90 degrees plus

Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
LOL, I predict this thread will still be running 5 years from now... and by then the who LeBron James saga will be ancient history and one of those thing "only a Clevelander can appreciate"

Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,602 times
Malts at Higbees
The Mad Hatter 25 cent drinks
The Doors at a theater, I think the Palace or the State, I had second row seats
Bobbie Brooks factory outlet
Robert Hall
Getting Indians tickets for every "A" I received on my report card, taking the rapid to a game without a parent at the age of 11 or so
Manner's Big Boy fried mushrooms and strawberry pie
The Library Bar and penny 3.2 beer
La Cave
Camping at Pymatuming Lake
Frozen custard
Euclid Beach kisses, popcorn balls and the rocket ride over the Lake, the Rotor (gag me)
Holiday lake
A Quarry out that way to swim in -- perhaps near Nelson Ledges
Toboganing at Forest Hills
Euclid Race Dairy
The "singing" bridge to the west side which may have been another city if you were from the east side and vice versa.
1975 hearing a friend who was going to see Bruce Springsteen, WHO?
Motown from Detroit on CKLW
WIXY 1260 before WMMS and WNCR
The Lake front before the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Eric Carmen
The Raspberries
Moved away in 1974 -- still have fond memories of music, food and tons of fun and laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland