Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,308 times

Advertisements

Ate there a lot good grub, Also ate at Tony's Pizza on 20 near Chects trailer park. Cicerilles, Kenny King Manners and Weavers Restraunt later known as Henny Pennys by Hacks trailer park. Used to love that part or Ohio, Vietnam ripped me away and desrroted my good memoried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 19,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowick131 View Post
Anyone from Shoregate School? Remember Federals in Shoregate Shopping Center in Willowick? Euclid Beach, Kenny Kings on Lake Shore Blvd and their drawer of prizes for kids?

Going to Master Pizza in a group?
remember Shoregate Lanes ? I was just thinkking about the Kenny King on Lakeshore Blvd because I am looking for a recipe that could duplicate the onion rings they had. Those were the the best thing thay had on the menu.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donp68 View Post
the neighborhood, if still there, was the old original corduroy road. if you went up garden (i think) til it ends at the lake then turn left, it was where corduroy used to run along the lake. it now has a big guard rail where the road washed away and fell into the lake. this road went quite a ways down the lake with about 15 houses on it, then it made a sharp left and came out where noziks marina is. i think al nozik is gone and the marina changed hands, and i don't know what it is called now. but anyway, if you were entering the marina from lakeshore blvd, as you come down the driveway it makes a sharp left in front of a big blue building. this building is built right where corduroy road came out. go behind the building and there is an opening in the trees where the road used to be. follow it north towards the lake and there is a little side street that goes off to your left. at the end of this old street is a big set of gates with an old brass sign that reads mentor deer park.
story behind this place is that a guy built it to raise deer he imported from china. the wrought iron fence he put in is only 8 feet tall. these deer were capable of jumping 12 feet. so most escaped and bred with our local deer. when you see deer with red color in their fur, they are most likely offspring of the chinese deer that were imported here back in the 30's or so.
when i was a kid, we used to play in all the houses back there. some were still completely furnished. the street lights would still come on at night. that was nearly 30 years ago, so i wonder whats left there now, if anything. i wish i would have taken that old brass sign from that set of gates. probably a really cool piece of pretty unknown mentor history there. i've only met two other people in all the years i've asked who knew about or remembered this place.

The road that runs along the lake is headlands road. In fact it is still called headlands road but there isn't much left. It does go all the way into the marina but it is more of a path now. Corduroy is the main road that comes in off of lakeshore. This is where I grew up. My parents still live on Corduroy. We were hiking over the weekend and found the reminents of the old deer park buildings and houses that used to be back there. There is also an old grave dated 1841 of a woman from Berkshire Mass and was 29 when she died. Few people know about it. Nozik's place (marina) is now been turned into a park and is owned by ODNR and all of those acre's of woods can be visited. It is the largest plot of undeveloped land on Lake Erie. Its great. I am trying to place where this road with the sign is but can't since it has been turned into a park and many things may have changed. Maybe you could give a little more detail. I will look for this sign while hiking this week.

There are no homes anymore along headlands road between the headlands and the marina. Just a dirt path around 3 feet wide. I'm not even sure this is the road although Google Earth still calls it headlands road. I believe the road is over the hill between the path and lake, and covered with debree.

I believe the orginal posters question was about the houses at the end of Corduroy road after you pass the shopping center. There are still homes on the south side of the road that goes left and right at the end of corduroy ( only about 50 yards in each direction.) but the houses or cottages on the north side (lake side) are over the hill on the beach and can't be seen. I doubt these are the houses you are talking about. I think the old homes fell over you are talking about and the cottages were built some time later right on the beach level.

We moved to Mentor Headlands when I was 14 over 35 years ago and the Deer park was already gone. My father remembers it from when we lived in Cleveland and he used to come to the headlands to hunt. I can't find any information on the Deer park and if anyone knows of any information I would appreciate them pointing me to it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by Hitthespot; 11-12-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,163 times
Does anyone remember "The Final Approach"??? Best dance bar at the Sheraton Hotel at Hopkins Airport! Top Floor - you could see the airport and over the Lake too. The city lit up at night was beautiful. Had many of great times there, back in the 70's!!!!!

Or how about "Captain Frank's" at the end of East 9th St! (Which is now Voinovich Park.) Remember having my very first restaurant meal there - my parents were dirt-poor. Lived in a trailer park in Kirtland and one day my Dad decided it was time to take his family to a restaurant for a special dinner. I remember having the kids meal - Fried Chicken!!!! I'll never EVER forget that! Born-n-raised in Kirtland since 1956.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 16,323 times
Default a few more of my food and fun favorites

Parma Pirogis
Mawbys onion burgers
Royal Castle Birch beer
The Giant slide and putt putt at SOM and Mayfield roads, which became a Chi Chis and then a Walgreens
Big Fun on Coventry
Samson the monkey at the shoe store at Richmond Mall
Helen Hutcheys ice cream
Foot long hot dogs at the old municipal stadium
Zipz UFO shared ice cream shop on Green road in South Euclid
The original style McDonlads on 152nd street
I think someone already said this, but I'll say it again - the little box oven lunches kids used to get at Higbees Silver Grille
The macaroni and cheese from Harvest House cafeterias inside Woolworths
Beef Coral and Red Barn restaurants

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plewin View Post
Parma Pirogis
The name Beef Corral rings a bell with me but I can't quite place it. I wonder if there was one in Mentor in the 70's...

Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 16,323 times
I'm not sure about Mentor but there were Beef Corrals in South Euclid and Mayfield, they were a competitor of Arbys who also had a really good longhorn burger. I hunted around the web and could not find anything more, but I remember their jingle, "come on down to the Beef Corral, for the beef with the western flavor . . ."

Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plewin View Post
Parma Pirogis
Mawbys onion burgers
Royal Castle Birch beer
The Giant slide and putt putt at SOM and Mayfield roads, which became a Chi Chis and then a Walgreens
Big Fun on Coventry
Samson the monkey at the shoe store at Richmond Mall
Helen Hutcheys ice cream
Foot long hot dogs at the old municipal stadium
Zipz UFO shared ice cream shop on Green road in South Euclid
The original style McDonlads on 152nd street
I think someone already said this, but I'll say it again - the little box oven lunches kids used to get at Higbees Silver Grille
The macaroni and cheese from Harvest House cafeterias inside Woolworths

Parma Pierogis was great...so was Red Barn!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM

3 posts, read 19,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshall View Post
Does anyone remember "The Final Approach"??? Best dance bar at the Sheraton Hotel at Hopkins Airport! Top Floor - you could see the airport and over the Lake too. The city lit up at night was beautiful. Had many of great times there, back in the 70's!!!!!

Or how about "Captain Frank's" at the end of East 9th St! (Which is now Voinovich Park.) Remember having my very first restaurant meal there - my parents were dirt-poor. Lived in a trailer park in Kirtland and one day my Dad decided it was time to take his family to a restaurant for a special dinner. I remember having the kids meal - Fried Chicken!!!! I'll never EVER forget that! Born-n-raised in Kirtland since 1956.
I remember Captain Franks very well, The Mad Hatter, Agora and Jeans Fun House too.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,120 times
Spang Donuts, Spang Little Red Wagon Truck, Does anyone have anymore Info ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland