Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 AM
ww3

1 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
The one true show that I miss was the Rick Gilmore Show on 1100 WTAM.

He was on some weeknights, and on weekends from 8 to midnight.

Rick Gilmore had a great repartee with his audience, and catered to a younger mixed crowd. He picked some interesting topics to light up the board. Where is he now???
We understand that he is very ill now. At Manor Care on Rocky River drive, is what the internet says. His show greatly influenced me.. I do two radio shows myself and received a letter from him once. Praying for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 69,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshall View Post
Does anyone remember "The Final Approach"??? Best dance bar at the Sheraton Hotel at Hopkins Airport! Top Floor - you could see the airport and over the Lake too. The city lit up at night was beautiful. Had many of great times there, back in the 70's!!!!!

Or how about "Captain Frank's" at the end of East 9th St! (Which is now Voinovich Park.) Remember having my very first restaurant meal there - my parents were dirt-poor. Lived in a trailer park in Kirtland and one day my Dad decided it was time to take his family to a restaurant for a special dinner. I remember having the kids meal - Fried Chicken!!!! I'll never EVER forget that! Born-n-raised in Kirtland since 1956.
I ate at Captain Franks one winter night when a big storm was coming in off the lake. Pretty cool. Good food and cheap. Probably why they went out of business.

"The Final Approach" was just beginning to lose its allure by the time I could go out to bars and drink. Anyone know what occupies that space now?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plewin View Post
I'm not sure about Mentor but there were Beef Corrals in South Euclid and Mayfield, they were a competitor of Arbys who also had a really good longhorn burger. I hunted around the web and could not find anything more, but I remember their jingle, "come on down to the Beef Corral, for the beef with the western flavor . . ."
There was a Beef Corral on Detroit Ave. at the west end of Lakewood that survived into the 1980's. I used to go there with my Mom on the way home after going to Westgate Mall for a Saturday matinee. Good burgers, from what I remember.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plewin View Post
Helen Hutchleys ice cream
Forgot about this one. There was one in Lakewood on Detroit. Good ice cream. We used to go there after football practice at Kaufmann Park.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
I remember going to see the lights at Nela Park every year at about this time. Do they still do that?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 51,384 times
I always thought: only a Clevelander would know what the heck there is for sale at Marc's/Bernie Shulman's. The fact that you can always find anything in trial size in the entrance of the store (handy now for those liquid restrictions on airplanes), frozen pizza and cheap seltzer. And there's those surly cashiers (at least on the east side). I grew up knowing not to take that personally...

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,100 times
Default Wmms-home of the buzzard

Remember..."The Agora"?
"The Moving Picture Company" ? Best burger in downtown Cleveland.
"The Lincoln House"? (It may still be there, I just moved back after 22 years in Florida...ugh!!!) \
I LOVE CLEVELAND...I'M SO GLAD TO BE HOME!!!
From a Misplaced Buckeye!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM

Zayre's was my first job!!! That was in 1968! I was a cashier and worked fulltime. I brought home $71 a week after taxes and thought I had hit "the big time" LOL
Thanks for the memories everyone!!]
Love It!
Fellow Buckeye

Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 PM

I remember the Brown Derby too! Yes, it had a big bar and the restaurant, itself, was built in a semi-circle. They had great steaks! Do you recall how small Cleveland Hopkins was back then!?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
I went to Your's Truly on Shaker Square.... that was a pretty good restaurant. Anyone ever been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland