Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM

24 posts, read 52,493 times

Advertisements

Will be in town on a very short trip 1st week of October. My husband and I will be taking I-40 down on a Sunday to the coastal area from Raleigh, what beach should we visit? Looking for something with a boardwalk, shops, and umbrella rentals. Again, its just a day we will be heading out in the morning and returning that evening.

Also would taking a ferry across to day Emerald Isle be too much for just a days worth?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Why not just explore the beaches of Emerald Isle & your not going to have luck finding Boardwalks
except Carolina Beach and it probably not the type of Boardwalks you are use to.
just a heads up.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Thank you so much Do they allow infants on the ferry's?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,850 times
Smile Emerald Isle is a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni20030 View Post
Will be in town on a very short trip 1st week of October. My husband and I will be taking I-40 down on a Sunday to the coastal area from Raleigh, what beach should we visit? Looking for something with a boardwalk, shops, and umbrella rentals. Again, its just a day we will be heading out in the morning and returning that evening.

Also would taking a ferry across to day Emerald Isle be too much for just a days worth?

Thank you in advance
You don't need a ferry now days to get to Emerald Isle. Just take I40 to exit 373 then follow signs to Route 24 and Jacksonville. Watch for the Swansboro signs off of the Jacksonville bypass- stay on Route 24 through Swansboro until the intersection with Route 58 between Cedar Point and Cape Carteret.

Take a right on Route 58, there is visitor information building on the right just after you make the right on 58 if you need to ask any questions.

This is my map of that area with some of my favorite restaurants noted on it. McDonald's is just a local landmark not one of my favorites.

Cross the bridge to Emerald Isle and take the first right after the first stoplight. That will put you on Islander Drive which leads to the Western Regional Beach access. It has a big paved parking lot, changing rooms, bathrooms, beach volley ball area, and even a ramp for accessibility.

If that area is too crowded for your taste, you can drive about another eight miles down the beach to the Eastern Regional Access. It is also has a large parking lot but only one side is paved. There are also bathrooms etc there. I doubt crowds will be a problem in Oct. By then it is mostly locals enjoying the beaches and fishermen chasing fish in the surf.

A little farther down east along the shore is one of my favorite beaches, Third Street. Eastern Regional and Third St show up on this map from the town. Our beaches run from the east to the west so the water is to the south.

Some of the best beaches are out Coast Guard Road near the Point. You can park at the Station Street Parking lot just off Coast Guard Road. It takes five to ten minutes to walk to the beach.

You should be able to rent an umbrella at one of the rental places on the Island, but I don't know if they do just daily rentals. Most are set up to service the weekly rental crowd. Bogue Banks Beach Rentals (http://www.boguebanksbeachgear.com/default.asp - broken link) is on the right at the intersection of Coast Guard Road and Hwy 58. I haven't been by their office in a while so you might want to call before you drop by there.

You can find a nice set of shops to enjoy in Swansboro or over at Emerald Plantation which is close to the Western Regional Beach Access. The closest thing to a boardwalk would be taking a walk on Bogue Inlet Pier. It is free and a nice way to get a different view of the ocean.

You can find more information in my Emerald Isle Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and some suggestions on what do with your time at this link though there won't be much local produce around in October but sweet potatoes.

You can take a Ferry (pontoon boat) over to Hammocks beach from the Swansboro area, and this is a link to the ferry schedule. I don't think taking an infant is a problem but there is just beach over there.

Last edited by dsobotta; 08-10-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: broken link

Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Only having one day, I'd suggest the Wilmington area beaches. You'll get there quicker than EI from raleigh.

At about equal time of heading to EI, you might want give Atlantic Beach a look, traveling down US 70. From there you can explore Fort Macon, hop over to the light house or visit shackleford banks. Plenty of Ferry's down that way. More than EI. Beaches are less crowded than EI, as well. Though honestly in a full day you can explore just about all of Bogue Banks and Carteret County you hit it hard enough.

Here's NC DOT ferry's but all are a lil out of your way.
NCDOT: Ferry Routes

Crystal Coast tourism site:
Crystal Coast NC | Emerald Isle NC | Outer Banks

Everyone else:
NCDOT: Tourism

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
The day-beach beach for Raleigh is Wrightsville Beach.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Wow Thank you all so much for such wonderful and thorough information!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
You don't need a ferry now days to get to Emerald Isle. Just take I40 to exit 373 then follow signs to Route 24 and Jacksonville. Watch for the Swansboro signs off of the Jacksonville bypass- stay on Route 24 through Swansboro until the intersection with Route 58 between Cedar Point and Cape Carteret.

Take a right on Route 58, there is visitor information building on the right just after you make the right on 58 if you need to ask any questions.

This is my map of that area with some of my favorite restaurants noted on it. McDonald's is just a local landmark not one of my favorites.

Cross the bridge to Emerald Isle and take the first right after the first stoplight. That will put you on Islander Drive which leads to the Western Regional Beach access. It has a big paved parking lot, changing rooms, bathrooms, beach volley ball area, and even a ramp for accessibility.

If that area is too crowded for your taste, you can drive about another eight miles down the beach to the Eastern Regional Access. It is also has a large parking lot but only one side is paved. There are also bathrooms etc there. I doubt crowds will be a problem in Oct. By then it is mostly locals enjoying the beaches and fishermen chasing fish in the surf.

A little farther down east along the shore is one of my favorite beaches, Third Street. Eastern Regional and Third St show up on this map from the town. Our beaches run from the east to the west so the water is to the south.

Some of the best beaches are out Coast Guard Road near the Point. You can park at the Station Street Parking lot just off Coast Guard Road. It takes five to ten minutes to walk to the beach.

You should be able to rent an umbrella at one of the rental places on the Island, but I don't know if they do just daily rentals. Most are set up to service the weekly rental crowd. Bogue Banks Beach Rentals (http://www.boguebanksbeachgear.com/default.asp - broken link) is on the right at the intersection of Coast Guard Road and Hwy 58. I haven't been by their office in a while so you might want to call before you drop by there.

You can find a nice set of shops to enjoy in Swansboro or over at Emerald Plantation which is close to the Western Regional Beach Access. The closest thing to a boardwalk would be taking a walk on Bogue Inlet Pier. It is free and a nice way to get a different view of the ocean.

You can find more information in my Emerald Isle Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and some suggestions on what do with your time at this link though there won't be much local produce around in October but sweet potatoes.

You can take a Ferry (pontoon boat) over to Hammocks beach from the Swansboro area, and this is a link to the ferry schedule. I don't think taking an infant is a problem but there is just beach over there.
Or it is just as relaxing and perhaps cooler to just spend all day taking the ferries and enjoying the views! I love the ferries!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
October 1 the seafood festival will be taking place in Morehead City. Ever had alligator-on-a-stick? That puts you right by the east side of bogue banks, beaufort, and Cape Lookout lighthouse.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM

21 posts, read 61,909 times
October can sometimes be too cold and windy to really enjoy the beach front. Beaufort can provide a great one-day experience that is scalable depending on the weather and your interests. I'd probably take Hwy 70 though instead of I-40. Either way your looking at about a 2-hr+ one-way trip. And, If the weather is good, you may want to consider fishing for spot off one of the piers.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina