Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
. Liz

We passed through Leland on 74 yesterday. I used to look at your posts and wonder where Leland was located. I have passed through there many times, but had never noticed the town. Thanks for introducing me to a new town. Is the proposed, I believe, Highway 17 going to affect where you live. Do you know if the ground under all those trees for miles along Highway 74 is suitable for building houses. If so, there is still a lot of room for people in North Carolina. I have always wondered about what those trees are hiding in the way of terrain.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-14-2007 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: quote in reference has been deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Is the proposed, I believe, Highway 17 going to affect where you live. Do you know if the ground under all those trees for miles along Highway 74 is suitable for building houses.
Since I am still new to the area, I am unfamiliar with the proposal. Can you link me to any articles?

Glad you noticed the area. I love it. It seems to have cleaned up it's act in recent years. Apparently it used to be full of mobile homes and those are disappearing in favor of regular single family homes. I got told by a member here when I first checked out Leland that
Quote:
Leland is redneck heaven full of trailor parks and partying. I guess the Northerners are running the country folks out of their towns now. Leland would not have been a town that you would have wanted to live about 5 years ago.
I've lived here since May and have not seen any of what that poster said. It's a very NICE and growing area.

I'm in a subdivision off 133 behind an older subdivision. There are some huge NEW subdivisions going in along 17 near where the Leland Super WalMart is located. This area is going NUTS and I don't "see" them displacing anyone in this case. (along that hwy.) Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I hope I haven't upset you. The proposed road I found on the North Carolina State Transportation Map 2006 which is the official NC Map, seems to be a highway 17 bypass of Wilmington. My husband said it may already be completed. I was looking for the location of Leland when I noticed it.

It starts just below Scotts Hill on Highway 17 and the section from I-40--133 and across the river has already been finished. I didn't know where you lived in Leland. The proposed by-pass 17 goes West of Leland and then reconnects with 17 at Bishop. If you are off 133 I don't see how it could do anything but good for you. That may be why things are going crazy where you live.

The town we live in has improved since the day we moved in. We now live about half way in between The Queenscup Steeplechase and the Stonebridge Golf Course. You can look those two up if you like. Our town is Mineral Springs.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:41 PM

Oh, you did not upset me a bit.

The bypass is there already. I thought you meant a new one. And the area around it is going nuts, growing like a weed. (KUDZU) Next time I'm out, I'll take my camera and get some shots of the area. Here are just some of the subdivisions going up on that stretch of hwy, all within about a 1 1/2 mile section of the road.

Magnolia Greens
Waterford of the Carolinas
Brunswick Forest

Liz

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 78,748 times
Default Leland area

The 17 bypass currently ends at Hwy 421 on the west side of Wilmington but it is planned to continue on over to Leland. Currently you have to take a little jaunt down S 421 and over a bridge to get to Leland. I have not lived here that long but my territory covers the Leland area and it really seems to be a fast growing area and probably will continue to grow. Housing costs are cheaper in some areas around Leland and then there are plenty of more upscale new planned communities starting to spring up. Just past Leland on 17 South there is alot of commercial growth also with a new strip mall anchored by a Walmart. Shopping is still pretty scarce but you don't have to travel far to Wilmington which has some great places to explore.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:38 PM

For those checking out Leland/Belville, here is an excellent map of the two towns and the subdivisions in them: http://www.townofbelville.com/map.pdf (broken link) Liz

Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
Hello, Moving to leland and was wondering if anyone knows of a good doggie park, vet and boarding facility in the area. Also, I was told that the walmart along hgwy17 is fairly new. Does anyone know if they are building more commercial stores like Target, Lowes and home depot? How about a mall....Just curious

Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
We have friends who live in Leland- that area is building up, but still not too crazy yet. They love living there and it's very convenient for someone who works in Wilmington- I'd rather live in Leland than in Wilmington.

I bet all the towns around there will look so different in another 5-10 years. I am shocked at how that area is growing up like a weed. My husband is from there, I've lived in NC all of my life and visited there 3-4 times a year. Even just in 10 years, all the beaches around there have changed a lot. What bothers me is the coastline, from a boating perspective. There are lots of places you once could put a boat in the water and now those places are too shallow, and a lot of the small boating ramps have been torn down for condos and things. Bird Island used to be more of an island than it is now, you can walk to it via the beach at low tide. etc...Leland actually seems nicer to me than it used to ... They're doing some nice things there, lots of new homes.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 17,082 times
I moved to wilmington nc and lived there for 5 years, then moved to Leland. I still worked in Wilmington, which I thought would be fine using the expressway via 421 to get into the middle of wilmington to eastwood rd area. The Cape Fear Memorial bridge is so often backed up, for no good reason other than general ignorant confusion on the part of motorists or the poorly designed traffic light system. Even if you are trying to go around to the 421 bridge, the backup for the CFM bridge sometimes holds you up as well as those motorists trying to go thru the drawbridge (which opens pretty often at 8 am-ish and 5pm-ish, isn't that convenient?). This is a frustrating, sometimes 40 min long delay that happens several times a week! Transportation from Leland to Wilmington is more a pain than it would seem.
Secondly, I wouldn't recommend living in Leland to my worst enemy. The town, though being built up on the side with hwy 17 coming toward wilmington, is so backward and po-dunk it's terrifying. The police force in particular is a corrupt, terrifying lack of safety and source of terrorism to the motorists and citizens alike. There are 3 drug dogs and more than ten squad cars in this area alone, which ends up in a stalking situation where you go out on the road and a 5 minute drive turns into getting your tag run 3 times on your way to the grocery store.
Though you may be wonderful, law abiding citizens, there are two very distinct classes in the leland area, the ridiculously rich on the waterford and magnolia greens sides, and the much poorer, and frequently terrorized citizens of mid leland, where the Hardees, wafflehouse, piggly wiggly are. Many of my friends and aquaintances, not speeders or law breakers, have been unlawfully pulled, detained, searched and arrested by this corrupt police force.
I wish someone would have told me about this "Nothing But Trouble" (the movie with dan ackroyd) backward town where outsiders are not accepted and harrassment by locals and police alike could make your life there a hell.

Oh, and there have been several people that have told me that they've been pulled over by the police, searched, and upon finding narcotics in their possession, have just taken the narcotics and let the people go, instead of going through proper routes of justice. Stealing narcotics and not reporting this to superiors is a pretty big crime in itself, don't you think?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM

9 posts, read 51,900 times
If you're looking to live in a more upscale/gated community in the Leland area, there are several going in now. We found a few on this website. It does have 1 listed wrong. There's one called the Bluffs on the Cape Fear that is listed in Wilmington, it's actually in Leland too. North Carolina Private Golf Course Gated Communities and Luxury Homes at PrivateCommunities.com

We've got friends in Wilmington, and they are of the opinion that Leland is really starting to turn into a bedroom community of Wilmington. They said 5 years ago they didn't know anyone who lived in Leland, nor did they know anyone who would consider living there. Now they have some friends living in some really nice, new neighborhoods over there who love it. They are retired and don't have to try to make it across the bridge into Wilmington during rush hour, which I think would make a difference. They love the new super Walmart location, and they are getting a new grocery store as well as restaurants and some other things. They really only go into Wilmington to socialize and go to church. I guess if they were out and about more, they may notice some of the issues noted above, but then again, they may not since they aren't the types to go driving around with narcotics in the car that aren't prescribed!

As always, have a wonderful and blessed day.

Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina