Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 34,629 times

Advertisements

Wow. Great news about the Y. I will be restoring an old house, so if anyone can recommend skilled workers, let me know. I always work as my own contractor and am looking forward to fixing the house, planting fruit trees and a garden and just enjoying the natural beauty and peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,390 times
I actually just moved to Florida from living in Currituck. I personally love the community feeling that Currituck gives off. If you love being outdoors, it's perfect for you. Not a bad commute to the beach, or Virginia. You'll love it.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 34,629 times
Default Where in FL?

There are nice things about FL, but it is dangerous in most places. The economy here now is terrible and many people are leaving. Good luck to you wherever you moved.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 PM

28 posts, read 45,082 times
Considering moving from a very rural town in NY to Currituck County within 18 months. Bringing 2 horses, dog & husband. Is this a horse friendly area? Are there large animal vets, feed stores, farriers, boarding stables, hay suppliers, tack shops, horse shows? Is it buggy in the summer? Advice would be greatly appreciated. TY!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comewhatmay View Post
Considering moving from a very rural town in NY to Currituck County within 18 months. Bringing 2 horses, dog & husband. Is this a horse friendly area?
My initial guess is that this is not the best area for horses. The soil is either sandy or marshy, and it is not rich pastureland. There will be mosquitoes everywhere in the summer. Horse farms are more prevalent in several inland area such as Granville County, Hillsborough and the Sand Hills around Pinehurst.

Which town are you moving to, and where would you be working?

I think the closest equine vet will be in Chesapeake, Virginia. See this listing: http://coastalequinevet.com/

Otherwise in North Carolina, the closest large animal vets are in Warrenton or Greenville. The one in Greenville is a mobile service. See this list: http://horsemanship101.com/411/Veter...-Carolina.html

I think you are better equipped to research the tack shops, feed stores, etc using online Yellow Pages. I suspect most of those would also be in Chesapeake Virginia rather than Currituck. You might also contact the counties Agricultural Extension Service here: http://currituck.ces.ncsu.edu/

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-05-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My initial guess is that this is not the best area for horses. The soil is either sandy or marshy, and it is not rich pastureland. There will be mosquitoes everywhere in the summer.
Carova's wild mustang colony would seem to indicate otherwise.

At any rate, yes there's horse owners in Currituck. Like everything else, most of the services and shops you'll need will be up in Virginia. The 4-H center does horse shows, and you need to be aware of West Nile and EEE which have cropped up in the area.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 AM

Thanks J. Pederman & goldenage the information you are providing is exactly what I'm looking for, the insider's view.
Haven't decided on an exact location yet. Hope to be within a 30 minute drive to a beach. Working from home so as long as there is great internet service that isn't an issue. Would it be better to look in the Chesapeake area? Visiting the areas in mid Feb to get a better feel for things. West Nile & EEE have hit in our areas too (along with many cases of Lyme) so we vaccinate for everything. Are the mosquitoes bad? I'd rather not move to an area that has a problem with them because I don't want to be stuck inside. We're really spoiled here with a fantastic mobile vet practice. They'll be hard to replace. Is sand colic an issue? Are there hay growers in the area or does it shipped in from mid state?
Thanks again

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comewhatmay View Post
Working from home so as long as there is great internet service that isn't an issue. Would it be better to look in the Chesapeake area?.... Are there hay growers in the area or does it shipped in from mid state?
Thanks again
I'm not a resident of the area, so you could answer many of the questions better yourself. In general, Currituck County is not a densely populated area. It has only recently become a retirement area. So, I suspect the Internet option are not great. You probably will not have fiber optic, but you will have cable or DSL or satellite.

Regarding mosquitoes, they breed abundantly in standing water, and the main relief is to be close enough to the ocean to have breezes blow them away. Otherwise you would pay a contractor to spray your land. Most people in my area have screened porches to enjoy the outside in the summer. Personally, I find it difficult to take walks in the summer because of the mosquitoes and other bugs.

The question on sand colic can best be answered by the Vet school at NC State: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/sfs/ehc-...oe_cracks.html

There are grain dealers in Moyock and Elizabeth City. Why not call them and ask their price of hay and where it comes from? The link to the yellow pages is here: Hay in Surrounding Currituck County NC | Reviews - Yellowbook

I suspect the Carolina Hay Center sells it for construction barricades, and it's not the quality you want.

Personally I wondered why you would live in Currituck with horses. The land is not fertile enough to have *good* pasture. Agreed, some wild horses survived, but I would not intentionally feed an animal with beach grass. I suspect you would be better off in Chesapeake or the southern Virginia Beach areas which are still agricultural.

Don't forget that food and gasoline have higher transportation costs, and your hurricane insurance will be higher than you expect. I encourage you to also visit in the July so you can better judge the mosquitoes and flies, the beach-bound traffic, and the heat and humidity.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-06-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Default Horse Ownership in Currituck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
At any rate, yes there's horse owners in Currituck. Like everything else, most of the services and shops you'll need will be up in Virginia. The 4-H center does horse shows, and you need to be aware of West Nile and EEE which have cropped up in the area.
The poster may already know about this but there is a county activity center which has an indoor riding arena. So, Currituck may be more "horse-friendly" than I thought. The County link is here: Activity Center & Arena Riding -Currituck County, NC Government The address is on North Spot Road, Powells Point, NC. If anyone wants to view it on Google Earth, the area appears to be laid out in fields or pasture, and the peninsula is about 1 mile between the sound and the river.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks goldenage I will follow up on your suggestions and research the other areas. Hoping to visit throughout the year to get a good idea of the different climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina