Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,288,909 times

Advertisements

In the same vein as the thread Greenville Area Developments, I thought it would be good to keep up with the the larger Public Works projects in the East. So any large highway development etc, outside of Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Crosstown Traffic - DOT will study economic impact of its $4.4 billion I-95 toll proposal | newsobserver.com blogs

Something has to be done. But I still don't understand the widening of I-95 to eight lanes from St. Pauls to I-40. Nor do I see the benefit of six lanes for most of it. I can understand six lanes from US 64 to/through Fayetteville. That would hit the major cities and towns near I-95, to allow for additional local traffic. But eight lanes to St. Pauls is crazy.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,129,938 times
Believe it or not, I see something in the linked article dated 2-12-12 (Plan fights evasion of I-95 toll in North Carolina - Home Page - NewsObserver.com) that will affect the DOT's decision regarding turning US 264 into an Interstate.

What I'm seeing is something that will greatly increase the cost because of something that none of us expected. It has been mentioned in articles in The Daily Reflector but we (or at least I) didn't put too much thought into it.

The new Federal standard for bridges and overpasses is 17.5 feet. I'd be willing to bet that few to none of the overpasses on US 264 is 17.5 feet. I'm thinking that most, if not all, of them were built to 15 feet.

From the newspaper article "Oversize trucks sometimes strike the undersides of low bridges around Dunn with clearances of 15 feet or less. These bridges will be rebuilt to meet the current federal clearance standard, 17.5 feet."

Given this information, I'm not real optimistic that US 264 will be turned into an Interstate in the next few decades.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Believe it or not, I see something in the linked article dated 2-12-12 (Plan fights evasion of I-95 toll in North Carolina - Home Page - NewsObserver.com) that will affect the DOT's decision regarding turning US 264 into an Interstate.

What I'm seeing is something that will greatly increase the cost because of something that none of us expected. It has been mentioned in articles in The Daily Reflector but we (or at least I) didn't put too much thought into it.

The new Federal standard for bridges and overpasses is 17.5 feet. I'd be willing to bet that few to none of the overpasses on US 264 is 17.5 feet. I'm thinking that most, if not all, of them were built to 15 feet.

From the newspaper article "Oversize trucks sometimes strike the undersides of low bridges around Dunn with clearances of 15 feet or less. These bridges will be rebuilt to meet the current federal clearance standard, 17.5 feet."

Given this information, I'm not real optimistic that US 264 will be turned into an Interstate in the next few decades.
That is disappointing, if the difference is correct. Having to rebuild satisfactory bridged 3ft higher is a no-go. There are five bridges on 795/64, and I don't recall them being modified. There are 15 bridges between 301 and the 264 overpass.

One would think building it originally to interstate standards (at least for bridges) wouldn't have been THAT much more. Dang lack of vision.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,129,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
TOne would think building it originally to interstate standards (at least for bridges) wouldn't have been THAT much more. Dang lack of vision.
It may have been built to Interstate standards as they existed at the time. It has been a while since the road was built. It's my understanding that US 264 was designed in the late 80s and most of it completed by 1993.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM

286 posts, read 656,523 times
The bypass around Wilson was finished early 2000s and the bypass around Knightdale was finished 2005-ish

264 otherwise was pretty much done as you said in the early 90s. The last part to be completed was between Farmville and Greenville.

The exit at 111/222 was added later - it was actually a crossroads until the early-mid 2000s. The completion of that was what allowed the speed limit to be increased.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,507,719 times
AASHTO is very strict with their standards when it comes to highways being designated as interstates. Since replacing bridges is the most expensive part of building interstates, I wouldn't expect 264 to become one anytime in the next 10years. I haven't been on 795 in a while so I'm note sure how high those bridges are but I'm guessing that if a highway is already designated as an interstate then it doesn't have to comply with standards that were changed after it was built.

Glad to see something being done about 95 but yeah I too only expected 8 lanes around the Fayetteville area. I'm not one to have a problem with them building out 8 lanes in a lengthier segment though. It helps to futureproof the highway even further as NC continues to grow rapidly.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,818,703 times
here in wilmington they are about to build a somewhat controversial 4-lane highway through a neighborhood. The "military cutoff extension". Extends Military Cutoff from the Market Street intersection , north to I-140. will post maps if i find time.

about these toll roads -- sound complicated, i don't really understand how they will work, yet. but i do support the general idea of charging northerners for the use of I-95, the same way those states are already charging people who drive north.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
here in wilmington they are about to build a somewhat controversial 4-lane highway through a neighborhood. The "military cutoff extension". Extends Military Cutoff from the Market Street intersection , north to I-140. will post maps if i find time.

about these toll roads -- sound complicated, i don't really understand how they will work, yet. but i do support the general idea of charging northerners for the use of I-95, the same way those states are already charging people who drive north.
You are referring to a section of the Hampstead Bypass

And another map:
http://www.wmpo.org/PDF/2011-11-01_M...pAmendment.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina