Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 23,646 times

Advertisements

Need some input. The family is thinking of relocating to leland in Brunswick county we have friends in brunswick forest and they love it there nothing but good things to say. It will be myself wife and 3 kids ages 21,17, and 16. I'm not looking for work so that's not a issue. I'm leaning more towards a community with amenities. We will be looking into compass pointe and brunswick forest along with other areas. What can we expect from the weather in summer is it humid a lot. What about mosquitos is it bad. Should we be concerned with the nuclear plant near by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Not a bad place to move to. Would check to make sure you are OK with the high school in that area....there are a couple private high schools in New Hanover County, but you will be crossing the bridge, so make sure you get used to that.

I once had a parent that lived in Leland tell me out on the soccer field that they wished their kid could go to my kids school...they seemed to miss the fact that Leland is in another County entirely so it is impossible to put your kid in New Hanover County schools.

I think some folks that move into the Wilmington area miss the boat (literally) about living in Wilmington and get too caught up in new construction. The goal is to get waterfront or water access for the smallest price possible. There are still foreclosures on the water that can be had and the locals that have the ability have been buying them up. There is a huge difference in value between waterfront and non waterfront.

As well, not to bust on Brunswick Forest or others but...in a few years the River Lights community will be started, which is basically a huge new development south of the Shipyard on the River (its already in the city limits). It will offer new construction opportunities with some mixed use and a lot of waterfront access. It will be in New Hanover County, so it will be more valuable.

So look at the schools and don't complain about the bridge....as long as you are OK with those two things, you should be fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
What about mosquitos is it bad. Should we be concerned with the nuclear plant near by.
The mosquitoes are bad unless the community sprays. I am told that Magnolia Greens sprays, but you should specifically ask what Compass Pointe or Brunswick Forest does. In addition, many homeowners have screened porches to use during the summer.

The nuclear plant has not caused problems, but nobody can predict if it would. It depends on your tolerance.

If you kids are thinking of college, I would also check what Brunswick Community College and UNCW have to offer. Like the previous poster have said, I think your kids would find much more to do in Wilmington than in Leland.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 23,646 times
Thanks for your input.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM

158 posts, read 345,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The mosquitoes are bad unless the community sprays. I am told that Magnolia Greens sprays, but you should specifically ask what Compass Pointe or Brunswick Forest does. In addition, many homeowners have screened porches to use during the summer.

The nuclear plant has not caused problems, but nobody can predict if it would. It depends on your tolerance.

If you kids are thinking of college, I would also check what Brunswick Community College and UNCW have to offer. Like the previous poster have said, I think your kids would find much more to do in Wilmington than in Leland.

Can you please tell me where the Nuclear plant is located in relationship to Brunswick Forest? Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
Can you please tell me where the Nuclear plant is located in relationship to Brunswick Forest? Thanks
From the BF entrance, it is 22 miles away in Southport. The physical address is 8520 River Rd SE, Southport, NC 28461 .

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

158 posts, read 345,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
From the BF entrance, it is 22 miles away in Southport. The physical address is 8520 River Rd SE, Southport, NC 28461 .
Thanks for the info

Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Most of the Southern parts of Brunswick Co and New Hanover County are in the fallout zone of the Brunswick Nuclear plant...although that plant doesn't really seem to be a problem. Most people don't even know it is there. It is a clean industry as long as they keep it maintained.

As a side note, Progress Energy is essentially rebuilding its Plant north of Wilmington off 421 to bring it up to today's emission standards...there is not much population directly adjacent to the plant, but it should reduce the overall emissions in the Wilmington area once it is completed. I believe it was a $300 million plant upgrade.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,620 times
My parents purchased a retirement home in brunswick forest and they love it. I have visited there several times and all I can say is that it is a very relaxing place. I cant get over how friendly the people are down there. There is shopping very close and a coffee place just a walk away.

The only thing that I have heard is that the area can be prone to flooding, but so far my folks said that they have not had any issues.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM

32 posts, read 100,133 times
I spent a year looking for a home in the Leland/Wilmington area. I went to 60 showing - mostly new construction. Some really awesome homes throughout the area, so, for me, it all came down to neighborhood. I kept going back to Brunswick Forest, and I just moved (from NYC) into a new construction home there two months ago. I'm really happy with my decision. If you'd like more specifics, feel free to write me directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina