Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,741 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Philly for 5 years, I know what high property tax, high food prices, high crime rate really are. I believe that some of the posters here who complain forget or don't know how bad "bad" really is. I think you will find that the cost of living is quite affordable compared to the city. The people who pay the high taxes have chosen to live in the gated golf communities. Dirty and nasty are subjective terms. I am sure a reasonable person could "make do" with the living situations and lead a good life in new bern. If you go anywhere in the south the "good" gentrified neighborhoods will be within walking distance of the bad neighborhoods.

If you like historic homes and a culture based around the water I think new bern is a great place with a low cost of living and friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Murder is murder, regardless of the geo loc, but I certainly agree with the rest of your post!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc01 View Post
I have lived in Philly for 5 years, I know what high property tax, high food prices, high crime rate really are. I believe that some of the posters here who complain forget or don't know how bad "bad" really is. I think you will find that the cost of living is quite affordable compared to the city.
In all fairness, the average family income in NB is less than $40k. I'm sure the average family income for Philly or other "cities" up North are much higher than $40k. Therefore, you can reasonably EXPECT to pay more for goods/services there. Regardless-you can't deny the fact that the cost of living in NB is high considering the average family income. Which explains why there are so many residents here living in poverty.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
In all fairness, the average family income in NB is less than $40k. I'm sure the average family income for Philly or other "cities" up North are much higher than $40k.
Philly's median household income is just under $37k, with 25.6% below poverty according to the US Census

In comparison New Bern's median household income in the same period was just over $35k, with a 23.5% poverty rate.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM

150 posts, read 351,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc01 View Post
I have lived in Philly for 5 years, I know what high property tax, high food prices, high crime rate really are. I believe that some of the posters here who complain forget or don't know how bad "bad" really is. I think you will find that the cost of living is quite affordable compared to the city. The people who pay the high taxes have chosen to live in the gated golf communities. Dirty and nasty are subjective terms. I am sure a reasonable person could "make do" with the living situations and lead a good life in new bern. If you go anywhere in the south the "good" gentrified neighborhoods will be within walking distance of the bad neighborhoods.

If you like historic homes and a culture based around the water I think new bern is a great place with a low cost of living and friendly people.
Yeah but in Philadelphia you also have museums, world-class universities and other amenities that we don't have down here...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM

20 posts, read 42,152 times
Default Fellow Long Islander

As an ex Long Islander I dont miss the LIE or the Belt Pkwy. Don't miss the ice and snow. Do miss diners and bakeries but the Carolina Bagel makes an excellent bagel the NY way. New Bern has a lot to offer with the historical section downtown. You also would appreciate life is less stressful- maybe because of minimal traffic- You can launch a boat from any of the ramps and not pay a dime. The tax rates on homes amounts to a tenth of what you would have paid on LI. Yes you have to be aware of your surroundings. But all said and done this is a very nice place to live. Because of the light traffic you are close to other areas that offer great dining and shopping like Jacksonville, Morehead City and Greenville beside New Bern. Depending on your circumstance and what appeals to you there are great neighborhoods like River Bend, Trent Woods, Carolina Colours and others. Good luck on whatever you decide

Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 AM

55 posts, read 98,859 times
I also am moving to New Bern, hopefully within a year. We recently spent a week touring the area and felt very comfortable. The downtown was charming, lots of great shops, friendly people, fabulous restaurant - The Chelsea. New Bern has exactly what we are looking for, warm weather, great boating and outdoor activities, more relaxed lifestyle. Six months of the year I am stressed about driving in the ice and snow. I am trading away winter weather for a higher crime rate and humidity but that is OK. I am tired of being cold all the time. Great selection of areas and housing types to choose from. Can't wait - would love to be in New Bern by winter.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
I am trading away winter weather for a higher crime rate and humidity but that is OK. I am tired of being cold all the time. Great selection of areas and housing types to choose from. Can't wait - would love to be in New Bern by winter.
You know what's really cool about the whole area? When we do get snow, any snow, the roads empty and people generally stay at home until the snow and ice melt off of the roads. If you're out about and driving around and do happen upon someone, hope it's not a native North Carolinian. They go at 10 to 15 MPH regardless of what road they're on. If you pass them they get all bent out of shape and put their high beams on you. Been there, had that happen.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
I am trading away winter weather for a higher crime rate and humidity but that is OK. I am tired of being cold all the time. Great selection of areas and housing types to choose from. Can't wait - would love to be in New Bern by winter.
Unless you live in the projects, of which there are two--one with waterfront dwellinlgs, or make a terrible choice and live in one of several neighborhoods, your realtor will know, the crime rate is moot.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 13,584 times
Hi Todd my name is Pam and I just recently relocated to Havelock in May from Long Island as well. I find it a much better and relaxed lifestyle than commuting from Long Island on the Long Island Railroad into Manhattan. There are great areas as people have posted. Havelock is the in-between town, New Bern to the West and Morehead City, Beaufort to the East, but whichever way you go you will be on the same two-lane highway, Highway 70. It is so much calmer, not as many idiots on the road and you have your beaches to the east with things to do. It is definitely a better way of life. The malls are smaller than what is in Long Island but sufficient to what you need. The larger nearby cities I have gone to are Jacksonville and Greenville for more shopping experience when I want to but the Walmart here in Havelock is pretty good and I like the one in Morehead City too.

I guess my only struggle now is trying to find a job. I am a legal secretary/assistant and you have to do the knocking on the doors. I personally dropped off my resume to a handful of law firms in downtown New Bern and had two interviews but I realized that I was probably asking for too much, although I thought I was in the ballpark of salaries for NC. The positions did not mention the salary so when they saw my salary request they probably eliminated me right then and there so I learned my lesson. I am currently looking on the state websites and USA Jobs for administrative assistant jobs or similar jobs I am capable. Till I find my job I am still putting my resumes around but as the holiday season is approaching I am putting in applications at stores in the mall.

So if anyone is reading this and knows of an administrative position in New Bern or Morehead City, please send me an email. Thank you in advance and good luck to you Todd. Have a great night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina