Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times

Advertisements

Jump Rabbit

Wow, what a story. Turns out Main Street in New Bern has nothing to do with being a "main street." Sounds like you were in some really bad, if not worst part of town. I believe you missed the regular part of New Bern.

Sounds like you may have wasted a trip. Why don't you try again, but first, ask this forum some specific questions before you come back. New Bern is not Nirvana, but it's a lot better than what you experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_rabbit View Post
Here is my impression. I have been trying to find a decent place to start a family too. Well, I just got back from New Bern a week ago. First, let me say I use this site quite a bit for research and to anyone from the county, or city who tries to counter what I say-then I say shame on you. I see the trend of such all the time. Otherwise, your opinions are your opinions. Here is mine. A 3 1/2 hour drive there landed me first to Walmart-I was thrilled at first 2:15 in the afternoon and pretty normal crowed....not thugged up. Then on to main street (I always do a Walmart stop 1st then Main St) and boom landed me lost as cake in the ghetto, traversed the GPS, no luck being told get the f*out by thugs (problem people) and many eyesores, houses wrecked, trashed everywhere. I tried to navigate my way out but it just didn't...found one person doing a property insp. and asked ?'s best and most reasonable....so headed over main all over other side around 1st street and up everywhere...this place looks to have been nice 5-10 years ago but many people up and leaving it appears, and vacant reo's all over....so I worked in distressed reo's for over 6 years (in the field and have seen all kinds of stuff all over many states) but this is first time my stomach knotted-so I know what signs are....the breach has been broken and crime folks driving this area out and down. It is sad. I tried to go elsewhere but grew to burbs very quickly and then boring rural. Condos scattered, not my thing as are rip off-I understand your opinion or senior on that though but I am young and want house in nice area and enjoy community. Else, reverse racism common and tired seeing country going to crap. Just another place the same. I wouldn't go there, imagine another 5 years from now. I drove much everywhere. The land and soil and everything so scenic and beautiful to garden or enjoy outside, but encompassed by this crap. Fueled up at BP on my home there by hospital 2 drug deals outside and cashier to woman buying beer in front of me complaining for 5 minutes to each other. Why the h#!! can't people just enjoy and respect this beautiful country? The main drag to waterfront on main-well, so close. I also passed through Havelock and Morehead City, more impressions but that's another post. New Bern needs to start all over and clean the place up. [/font]
Wow, first learn how to write, stop using ... to change the sentence, use paragraphs, and use proper English and then people may actually listen to what you are trying to say. Besides, you forgot to delete the [/font] which makes it seem like you copied and pasted this from somewhere else. If you truly ended up in the bad part of town, then that is your own fault since it is easily avoidable.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM

51 posts, read 101,768 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wow, first learn how to write, stop using ... to change the sentence, use paragraphs, and use proper English and then people may actually listen to what you are trying to say. Besides, you forgot to delete the [/font] which makes it seem like you copied and pasted this from somewhere else. If you truly ended up in the bad part of town, then that is your own fault since it is easily avoidable.
Bingo. Dead on.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
Jump rabbit...I'll refer you to my previous post on this thread...I mentioned that anyone relocating would be moving to the New Bern "area"...Trent Woods, Taberna, etc...

Did you go to Trent Woods? Drive around Taberna? How about take a trek to Oriental?

I must say, you did give a realistic viewpoint of downtown New Bern...I mentioned previously that it continues to make progress...and it does...you have no idea what it looked like 20 years ago. It is best described as a "work in progress", but as you said, the landscape is beautiful. Also keep in mind that downtown NB is in a period of transformation...that big bridge wasn't there not too long ago, it used to be a two lane drawbridge that came into downtown NB. There is a new bypass...its a work in progress. But along the waterfront, especially along the Trent River, you can find treasures. NB has a lot to build on and a lot to look forward to in my opinion. Interesting post though.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
I know I think different than most. Not better or worse, but different.

I just don't get why you would move to a historic town and not live in a historic area.

Taberna, Trent Woods, etc are very nice. But they could be West Des Moines, IA (which is a treasure, cold but a treasure) in a minute.

I don't think either relates to the New Bern heritage for for the water for that point, unless you and Nick Sparks are peeps and live in a Trent river mansion. Once off the water, welcome to Suburbia, USA.

Nothing wrong with Surburbia, USA, but I just don't get that is what New Bern is about.

Again, just my opinion and for the uncareful readers, or those with limited comprehension I am in no way dissing either Trent Woods or Taberna, or "Colours" or the place down on 17S..cant remember. All are very nice...but they could be anywhere.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I know I think different than most. Not better or worse, but different.

I just don't get why you would move to a historic town and not live in a historic area.

Taberna, Trent Woods, etc are very nice. But they could be West Des Moines, IA (which is a treasure, cold but a treasure) in a minute.

I don't think either relates to the New Bern heritage for for the water for that point, unless you and Nick Sparks are peeps and live in a Trent river mansion. Once off the water, welcome to Suburbia, USA.

Nothing wrong with Surburbia, USA, but I just don't get that is what New Bern is about.

Again, just my opinion and for the uncareful readers, or those with limited comprehension I am in no way dissing either Trent Woods or Taberna, or "Colours" or the place down on 17S..cant remember. All are very nice...but they could be anywhere.
Except...they are in the South where the weather is warmer...on the water where you can use it more often...or near a golf course, that you could use year round. Or less than an hour to two different beaches...most of NC is suburbia, at least NB offers some Historic Charm and some waterfront. NB is also surrounded by rural areas which are good for hunting, water areas that are good for fishing.

BTW, I think Trent Woods is historic in its own right.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM

12 posts, read 19,148 times
Default Oops...

Let's critique ones writing skills and try to point out flaws. This is a blog, not a book. As an aside, why don't you refrain from wasting blog space with rude comments and counter with something productive about my original post, which would be an educated gesture. Try that on for size. You know, I would assume you are in some capacity involved with local government there. A leading period case... is for someone's imagination to put in their impressions. take a look at this and learn how to read...Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(paragraph)
Anyway, as I stated earlier, I do think New Bern, N.C. is beautiful with its' nature and was pretty hyped up before actually going. I had imagined a nice little house, garden, family, friends (oh, here we go with the...) unfortunately, there are a lot of areas in blight or crime and I had gone all over the area indeed. When I was in the Marines, only 10 years ago, my buddies were always talking about moving there and got me excited as an ambitious young man b/c we all liked the area just not the military base (that is Jacksonville). Things change fast, hopefully you folks can clean that place up. It is sad when the court system and local employees make the profit through court and civil matters by banking it in from crime and such, I hope that is not the case here and I am not stating it is, however after many years, I left Youngstown, Ohio because I had got sick of all that. And anyone who knows about that area, knows what I am talking about. (/FONT) <--who cares...

Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 PM

40 posts, read 103,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_rabbit View Post
Let's critique ones writing skills and try to point out flaws. This is a blog, not a book. As an aside, why don't you refrain from wasting blog space with rude comments and counter with something productive about my original post, which would be an educated gesture. Try that on for size. You know, I would assume you are in some capacity involved with local government there. A leading period case... is for someone's imagination to put in their impressions. take a look at this and learn how to read...Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(paragraph)
Anyway, as I stated earlier, I do think New Bern, N.C. is beautiful with its' nature and was pretty hyped up before actually going. I had imagined a nice little house, garden, family, friends (oh, here we go with the...) unfortunately, there are a lot of areas in blight or crime and I had gone all over the area indeed. When I was in the Marines, only 10 years ago, my buddies were always talking about moving there and got me excited as an ambitious young man b/c we all liked the area just not the military base (that is Jacksonville). Things change fast, hopefully you folks can clean that place up. It is sad when the court system and local employees make the profit through court and civil matters by banking it in from crime and such, I hope that is not the case here and I am not stating it is, however after many years, I left Youngstown, Ohio because I had got sick of all that. And anyone who knows about that area, knows what I am talking about. (/FONT) <--who cares...
I applaud you good sir for your frank comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina