Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
All the potential northern bypass alternatives for US 70 in Kinston have been eliminated by NCDOT now. They're looking at possible southern bypass alternatives or possibly upgrading the existing roadway to a freeway.

NCDOT: Kinston Bypass Project

I'm curious to see how they're going to do US 70 in Selma since the current bypass does not have an interchange with I-95 and the mainline US 70 which does is riddled with stoplights and a major intersection with US 301.
This is why there needs to be regional collaboration for these projects. Such a short sighted decision based entirely on money.

Yes, it is cheaper to add a Kinston bypass on the southern route...thing is it isn't really a Kinston bypass, since most all of Kinston is north of the existing route.

Not only could a northern route utilize the existing CF Harvey Parkway at the Global Transpark, but it would also connect it to Highway 11...whats north of Kinston on Highway 11, but one of the largest plants in Eastern NC...giving that easy Interstate access.

AND if a Northern route was coming out of Dover towards Highway 11 North, it would be probably less than 10 miles from the Greenville SW bypass connection just south of Ayden. So, if you wanted to travel from New Bern to Greenville, you could get on an Interstate that would drop you off just south of Grifton in probably 20 minutes and in another 20 be at the 264 interchange at the Vidant Hospital and ECU Medical Campus. Taking what now would be an hour trip and making it about 40 minutes. It would also help with the North South traffic on 17 to and from Greenville, providing a high speed 4 lane connection to 17.

I guess that is all not worth the additional cost. A better link for Greenville to the beach, New Bern/Jacksonville, the Military facilities, Wilmington, etc...I guess its better to just use that 2 lane Highway 43 and take that traffic through Vanceboro...for likely ever. I can guarantee no DOT folks looked at the Greenville aspect of the Kinston bypass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 03:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
All the decision makers care about is getting to the beach from Raleigh as fast as possible.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:57 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
All the decision makers care about is getting to the beach from Raleigh as fast as possible.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. That's pretty much the whole purpose of US 70 being upgraded to freeway in the first place. Much like US 64 to the Outer Banks years ago.

For the Kinston Bypass I can kind of see their reasoning. A southern bypass would definitely be more costly due to the terrain it has to cross, but a northern bypass would be better for the region as a whole since Greenville lies to the north. However, the Northern route would probably take longer than the southern one to traverse and people wouldn't use it for going to the beach.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
I just thought of something. Assuming NCDOT chooses a number soon (I'll use I-42 as an example), they could apply to AASHTO and FHWA to have the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass (once it's finished) designated as I-42, since one of the requirements for a freeway to be signed as an interstate is that it has to connect to another interstate (I-40 near Garner, I-795 in Goldsboro). It could be signed in sections as US-70 gets upgraded, like the way NCDOT is doing with I-74 (Maxton to I-95 in Lumberton, Ellerbe to I-40 in Winston-Salem and Mount Airy to I-77). Also, according to NCDOT's progress report page, the listed completion date for the Goldsboro Bypass is listed as June 2016, but the Revised completion date is March 2, 2016. Assuming the winter remains mild and the bypass opens in March, NCDOT could send the application to AASHTO in time for their next meeting, which is scheduled for May 24-26.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:34 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I just thought of something. Assuming NCDOT chooses a number soon (I'll use I-42 as an example), they could apply to AASHTO and FHWA to have the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass (once it's finished) designated as I-42, since one of the requirements for a freeway to be signed as an interstate is that it has to connect to another interstate (I-40 near Garner, I-795 in Goldsboro). It could be signed in sections as US-70 gets upgraded, like the way NCDOT is doing with I-74 (Maxton to I-95 in Lumberton, Ellerbe to I-40 in Winston-Salem and Mount Airy to I-77). Also, according to NCDOT's progress report page, the listed completion date for the Goldsboro Bypass is listed as June 2016, but the Revised completion date is March 2, 2016. Assuming the winter remains mild and the bypass opens in March, NCDOT could send the application to AASHTO in time for their next meeting, which is scheduled for May 24-26.
Saw it the other day, no reason they can't meet that March deadline...may be even before if weather holds.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Good news. I just checked the US-70 Corridor Commission December 3rd draft minutes and according to NCDOT, they plan to post "future interstate corridor" signs along US-70, US-117, US-64 and US-17 beginning in May, which leads me to believe that NCDOT plans to apply to AASHTO (who happens to have their meeting in May) to go ahead and allow the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass to have Interstate shields posted on them since they already connect to existing interstates (I-40 and I-795) and already meets interstate standards. I anticipate NCDOT will also send their applications to FHWA at the same time. They still haven't mentioned what Interstate numbers they will use. I'm not sure how to directly link documents, but the minutes can easily be found on this page:
Meetings / Meetings

Old 03-30-2016, 08:03 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Sign for future U.S. 70 interstate to be unveiled in Goldsboro

Old 03-30-2016, 08:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I wonder if the announcement is live streaming, and if North Carolina will be getting another 2-digit or 3-digit interstate highway.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
The sign unveiling of the future United States Route 70 interstate highway was lackluster. The route has not been assigned an interstate highway number.

Further reading
:
"Sign for future U.S. 70 interstate unveiled in Goldsboro." Goldsboro, North Carolina: WNCT-TV. 2016-03-30.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
So is the plan to eventually have interstate all the way from Raleigh to Morehead or just a portion of 70 will be interstate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina