Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 03:12 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
United States Route 264 should be designated as future Interstate 495. Why? Signage exists and can be easily relocated along the route. This is merely an idea and a suggestion. I wonder if United States Representative G.K. Butterfield could be proactive on the possible interstate spur route.
It's possible. However, my reason for believing that US-264 will become a spur of I-87 is that NCDOT wants traffic that's headed for the Northeast to use I-87 from Raleigh to connect to I-95 in Rocky Mount. That's why they signed I-495 as North/South rather than East/West. NCDOT might be concerned that if US-264 is a spur of I-95 rather than I-87, people that are not familiar with the area would use US-264 to get to I-95 from Raleigh because of it being a spur of I-95, which would add extra miles and be further out of the way. An I-87 spur would also signal that Greenville and Wilson are connected to the Triangle via the I-87 connection in Zebulon.

I don't think G.K. Butterfield will be as much of a factor with US-264 as he was with I-42, I-87 and I-795. NCDOT is choosing to use the administrative option by asking FHWA for interstate approval rather than getting the route designated by Congress. Future interstates that are not designated by Congress are required by FHWA to be brought up to interstate standards within 25 years or risk losing the designation. The only thing preventing US-264 from meeting interstate standards, that I'm aware of, is the lack of wide outside shoulders. Outside shoulders are required to be at least 10ft. wide. US-264 already meets interstate standards between I-95 and the Wilson/Greene county line. US-264 could easily be upgraded within 25 years.

However, I-42, I-87, and I-795's extension require much more work to meet interstate standards than US-264 and given the size and scope of the projects required, it will likely take more than 25 years to bring all of them to interstate standards, especially I-87. That's probably why NCDOT pushed for Congressional designation of those corridors. Future interstates that are written into law by Congress do not have a timetable requirement for bringing those corridors to interstate standards, so the state can take as much time as they want/need to upgrade those corridors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times

Old 09-23-2016, 07:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
If I am reading the release correctly, United States Route 13 and North Carolina Highway 11 from Greenville to the Virginia state line leading toward Suffolk are targeted for designation as an interstate highway.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If I am reading the release correctly, United States Route 13 and North Carolina Highway 11 from Greenville to the Virginia state line leading toward Suffolk are targeted for designation as an interstate highway.
No. It covers the NC-11 and US-13 corridors from US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel, essentially connecting Greenville and the GTP in Kinston to the Hampton Roads region in Virginia.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
No. It covers the NC-11 and US-13 corridors from US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel, essentially connecting Greenville and the GTP in Kinston to the Hampton Roads region in Virginia.
Its been discussed that 264 may become 287 as a spur of 87 but what about the 11/13 spur? 487? Admittedly I am unsure how Interstate numbers are created other than the odds being n/s and the evens being e/w.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Its been discussed that 264 may become 287 as a spur of 87 but what about the 11/13 spur? 487? Admittedly I am unsure how Interstate numbers are created other than the odds being n/s and the evens being e/w.
The "Odd--N/S, Even--E/W" rule only applies to 2-digit interstates. NC-11/US-13 can easily become I-487.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Odd 3 digits are spurs off an interstate and even 3 digits start and end at interstates.

540 now touches interstate on either end (40 and 495) but has a waiver to stay 540.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Odd 3 digits are spurs off an interstate and even 3 digits start and end at interstates.

540 now touches interstate on either end (40 and 495) but has a waiver to stay 540.
Yep. I-795 will also keep it's number once it reaches I-40.

It'll be interesting to see whether NCDOT applied for an odd or even 3-digit for US-264 since they sent their application to AASHTO before the ENC Gateway Act was introduced in Congress. AASHTO sometimes posts their list of applications online ahead of their meeting as part of their meeting agenda, so it's possible we'll know what US-264's possible I-number will be near the end of this month.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:14 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post

Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 AM

The Goldsboro News-Argus removed their paywall for this weekend only, so I went back to find any updated info on I-795's extension. Mount Olive awarded a contract to relocate a water line at the US-117/Country Club Road intersection in preparation for the interchange project.

From September 18: Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Water line relocation means road upgrade

Quote:
MOUNT OLIVE -- The pending relocation of a water line signals progress on plans to upgrade U.S. 117 South to Interstate status, Mount Olive Town Manager Charles Brown said last week.

The town board awarded a $113,196 contract to Cox-Edwards to relocate the water line south of its current location.

The approval is contingent on state Department of Transportation approval as well. The work could start as soon as October and be completed by the end of the year, depending on how quickly the Department of Transportation acts.

"We have a 6-inch water line that runs under Country Club Road which crosses the current (U.S.) 117 -- all four lanes," Brown said. "It also crosses the old (U.S.) 117 (Alternate)."

In order to facilitate the building of an overpass at Country Club Road, the water line has to be relocated south, Brown said.

"It is a sign of progress for the town of Mount Olive because it means I-795 is becoming a reality," he said.

Under state law the Department of Transportation will pay the non-betterment cost for the relocation of water and sewer lines located within the existing state transportation right-of-way project that are necessary to be relocated for a state transportation improvement and are owned by municipality with a population of 10,000 or less.

That means the town will not have to pay for the work, Brown said.

Upgrading U.S. 117 from north of Country Club Road to south of Genoa Road near the Wayne County Fairgrounds -- the future Interstate 795 South corridor -- is included in the state's next draft 10-year transportation plan.

It has yet to receive final approval or funding.

However, construction of interchanges on U.S. 117 South at Country Club Road and at O'Berry Road at Dudley have been approved.

The state has budgeted $1.38 million for right of way for each interchange. Construction cost is budgeted at $7.296 million at O'Berry Road and $10.26 million at Country Club Road.

Crews already have tested the subsurface conditions at the two locations for the overpass foundations, and construction is expected to start next summer.

Because of U.S. 117's proximity to U.S. 117 Alternate, the overpass will take U.S. 117 over Country Club Road. Two bridges will be built, one for each direction on 117. The project at O'Berry Road will take that road over U.S. 117.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina