Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Per a post from a member on AARoads, I-87 shields are finally going up on the Knightdale Bypass.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/300176...87186911370974

His blog contains NCDOT's signage plans.

Goodbye Interstate 495; Hello Interstate 87
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

This article talking about the new I-87 signs being posted also gives the reason why AASHTO rejected NCDOT's request for I-89 last year in favor of I-87.

Interstate 87: NCDOT puts up new signs between Raleigh and Wendell | News & Observer

Quote:
AASHTO spokesman Tony Dorsey said the organization’s route numbering committee decided that the new North Carolina highway has a better chance of one day connecting to I-87 in New York than to I-89 in New England, and decided the road between Raleigh and Virginia should be I-87.
...which makes zero sense, because the interstate was not (and is not) intended to connect to New England or New York. The cost of upgrading the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13) between Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore of VA to interstate standards and the environmentally sensitive land of the Eastern Shore itself instantly kills any hope of such an extension.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
This article talking about the new I-87 signs being posted also gives the reason why AASHTO rejected NCDOT's request for I-89 last year in favor of I-87.

Interstate 87: NCDOT puts up new signs between Raleigh and Wendell | News & Observer

...which makes zero sense, because the interstate was not (and is not) intended to connect to New England or New York. The cost of upgrading the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13) between Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore of VA to interstate standards and the environmentally sensitive land of the Eastern Shore itself instantly kills any hope of such an extension.
I think i've had an idea on the AA boards...who says that it must follow the US 13 route? Why couldn't it follow I-64 from Chesapeake to Willamsburg to Richmond. From Richmond, it could follow other interstate routes to pair up to I-87 in New York, or follow an alternate path as a traffic reliever in the DMV area until it connects back to I-87 in NY (using US 301 route as a guide).

Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think i've had an idea on the AA boards...who says that it must follow the US 13 route? Why couldn't it follow I-64 from Chesapeake to Willamsburg to Richmond. From Richmond, it could follow other interstate routes to pair up to I-87 in New York, or follow an alternate path as a traffic reliever in the DMV area until it connects back to I-87 in NY (using US 301 route as a guide).
I'm hardly ever on the Fictional Highways section, so I guess that explains why I didn't see your idea before. Lol

Anyway, it's possible, but then you'd have to get the other states on board with it. VA is hardly interested in I-87 in it's current form as it is.

That said, your idea ain't bad. The overall routing in VA would be crooked as hell, but at least it avoids the Eastern Shore.

Last edited by LM117; 09-06-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I believe the reason they said that has to do with the numbering rules. They're not really supposed to reuse numbers unless there is a "plan" to one day connect the two separate highways together. It makes sense to say that there is a better chance that the NC I-87 will one day connect to the NY I-87 than a NC I-89 connecting to the I-89 in New England.

They're just complying with the exact wording of the rules and not the spirit behind the words. The idea is that in order to avoid any kind of confusion, there should only be one I-XX highway anywhere in the country. They never envisioned running out of numbers when the rules were made.

That's my guess.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I believe the reason they said that has to do with the numbering rules. They're not really supposed to reuse numbers unless there is a "plan" to one day connect the two separate highways together. It makes sense to say that there is a better chance that the NC I-87 will one day connect to the NY I-87 than a NC I-89 connecting to the I-89 in New England.

They're just complying with the exact wording of the rules and not the spirit behind the words. The idea is that in order to avoid any kind of confusion, there should only be one I-XX highway anywhere in the country. They never envisioned running out of numbers when the rules were made.

That's my guess.
Good point.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:53 PM

378 posts, read 419,262 times
I think I-87 will go on the Chesapeake bay bridge, (Where US-13 is located) onto the Salisbury bypass in Maryland, onto Delaware route 1, Go onto I-95 in Pennsylvania, and somewhere in New Jersey. (Don't think it's gonna be put on the turnpike, but it may be put with I-78 and I-287).

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I think I-87 will go on the Chesapeake bay bridge, (Where US-13 is located) onto the Salisbury bypass in Maryland, onto Delaware route 1, Go onto I-95 in Pennsylvania, and somewhere in New Jersey. (Don't think it's gonna be put on the turnpike, but it may be put with I-78 and I-287).
I do not think the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula is doable for an interstate. It'll fit if they really want it to (along with a new 2 lane adjacent road to replace Hwy 13 that the locals will still need, plus the railroad tracks), but the noise and width alone will drastically degrade the quality of life there, then there's the ecosystem issues. I also don't see a way to bypass the towns that 13 runs through - not without putting the interstate right on the beach anyway.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 PM

378 posts, read 419,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I do not think the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula is doable for an interstate. It'll fit if they really want it to (along with a new 2 lane adjacent road to replace Hwy 13 that the locals will still need, plus the railroad tracks), but the noise and width alone will drastically degrade the quality of life there, then there's the ecosystem issues. I also don't see a way to bypass the towns that 13 runs through - not without putting the interstate right on the beach anyway.
They can't make I-87 run with I-95 for too long though.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
VDOT studied it in 2006 and ruled it out due to lack of interest in other states along with the cost of upgrading the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and environmental impacts on the Eastern Shore. There's been no further talk of it since.

Here's the study:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/...OT_website.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina