Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,609,320 times

Advertisements

I drove to Wilson on Thursday and did not see them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 AM

275 posts, read 332,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=6718

This is proposed Greenville circle loop, but I wish the southern part was a little bit smaller.

This map is outdated, so I'm not really caring about it.
I would be highly be in favor of this bypass (although I would like the southern part smaller, but it's cool). They way Greeenville is growing right now, they'll be over 100,000 people in Greenville alone by like 2025. It'll be a great way to get to one side of the town to another. It could also open up Washington more and actually be more of a commutable option.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,400,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=6718

This is proposed Greenville circle loop, but I wish the southern part was a little bit smaller.

This map is outdated, so I'm not really caring about it.
The map would be different now, but I like the way it shows Greenville with a working network of expressways and freeways.

North Carolina Highway 11 would need a new freeway location if it will connect with C.F. Harvey Parkway north of Kinston to reach the proposed Interstate 42.

I could see two new auxiliary interstate highways being created around Greenville. One interstate highway would be from the proposed Interstate 42 to the proposed Interstate 87. The other interstate highway will bypass Greenville on the east or on the west dependent on the interstate highway from the proposed Interstate 42 to the proposed Interstate 87 is routed.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,562,212 times
I think the idea is to eventually connect I-42 and I-87 through Bethel/Greenville/Kinston. What that number would be called is unknown at the point. However, I'd like to see that interstate connection connect not just from 87 to 42, but down to i-40 as well. This would connect Wilmington to Norfolk, which would be beneficial, IMO. I'd like the whole system to look like this...Pardon my paint skills!

Quote:
Dark Green - I-87
Light Blue - I-587
Brown - I-795 (drawn to its connection with I-40)
Dark Blue - I-42

Yellow - new interstate connecting I-40 with i-42 and I-87 (Let's call it I-142)

Light Green - 4-lane highways that connect to other parts of ENC.

Sure a bunch of it is mostly a dream, but even with a 795 connection to 40, a new interstate connection through Kenansville or Wallace north would still be a more direct route to Greenville and Norfolk. You could even swing 795 back down through Fayetteville and create a connection from Goldsboro to Fayetteville. Maybe by 2077?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 6,870,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
North Carolina Highway 11 would need a new freeway location if it will connect with C.F. Harvey Parkway north of Kinston to reach the proposed Interstate 42.
https://ncdot.gov/projects/CFharveyPkwyExt/default.html

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 AM

The existing section of C.F. Harvey Parkway would need to eliminate at-grade intersections and railroad crossings with grade separated interchanges and crossings.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think the idea is to eventually connect I-42 and I-87 through Bethel/Greenville/Kinston. However, I'd like to see that interstate connection connect not just from 87 to 42, but down to i-40 as well. This would connect Wilmington to Norfolk, which would be beneficial, IMO.
I would expect the Eastern NC Gateway Act to be re-introduced in Congress within the next few months, which would write the Bethel/Greenville/Kinston corridor into law as a future interstate if it passes. I would prefer it to become an I-x87, since the idea is to connect the Global TransPark and Greenville to the Port of Virginia.

Quote:
Sure a bunch of it is mostly a dream, but even with a 795 connection to 40, a new interstate connection through Kenansville or Wallace north would still be a more direct route to Greenville and Norfolk.
I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, but good luck getting Duplin County and the Eastern Carolina RPO to support a new freeway connecting Kinston to I-40. When the I-795 extension feasability study was done in 2015, one of the alternatives for connecting I-795 to I-40 was a new location interchange a few miles south of existing Exit 355, which meant a new freeway alignment. Duplin County and the ECRPO were opposed to it because they did not want farmland destroyed and were worried about impacts to agri-businesses. Upgrading the existing Exit 355 to interstate standards was recommended instead. If Duplin County and the ECRPO wouldn't tolerate a few miles of new freeway, I'm sure they would be even less thrilled about a much longer interstate going through the county.

Quote:
You could even swing 795 back down through Fayetteville and create a connection from Goldsboro to Fayetteville. Maybe by 2077?
Of all the pipe dreams, that's probably the one thing that won't ever happen. I doubt there would ever be any demand for it. Seymour Johnson AFB is already connected to I-95 via US-70 and I-795. Goldsboro seems satisfied with those connections and I don't think Fayetteville would have any interest in having a connection to Goldsboro other than US-13.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The existing section of C.F. Harvey Parkway would need to eliminate at-grade intersections and railroad crossings with grade separated interchanges and crossings.
The railroad crossing is probably going to be the biggest headache to deal with.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Of all the pipe dreams, that's probably the one thing that won't ever happen. I doubt there would ever be any demand for it. Seymour Johnson AFB is already connected to I-95 via US-70 and I-795. Goldsboro seems satisfied with those connections and I don't think Fayetteville would have any interest in having a connection to Goldsboro other than US-13.
If there are future interstate highway projects planned in Cumberland County, it should be an eastern beltway for Interstate 295. I doubt that is a need.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The railroad crossing is probably going to be the biggest headache to deal with.
Why was an at-grade crossing considered initially? It should have been built initially as a grade separated crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina