Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 03:37 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Why? Have we not learned what too many highways do from states like new jersey? Whats the benefit? More cookie cutter neighborhoods, less forests, more congestion, more pollution... higher prices...
To keep growth going. If Greenville got an interstate linked from Norfolk to Charleston, growth will become insane. Traffic congestion is only gonna get worse and make people wanna leave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Ask any person in eastern NC... they will say the same exact thing... unfortunately its always the big city folks who see the country side as nothing because it lacks huge mcmansions, golf courses, and strip malls... essentially it doesnt look like Florida or New Jersey... huhhhhh these folks are the ones making our decisions....
Just so you know, the poster you responded to is obviously unaware that much of the work to upgrade US-70 to I-42 involves upgrading the existing highway for over half of it's length. The only bypasses that will be needed is around Kinston, Havelock and a new alignment between Havelock and Morehead City (Northern Carteret Bypass). The new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro, contrary to popular belief, has not hurt the city. The city has been benefitting from it. The Clayton Bypass opened in 2008 and it hasn't killed Clayton yet.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Just so you know, the poster you responded to is obviously unaware that much of the work to upgrade US-70 to I-42 involves upgrading the existing highway for over half of it's length. The only bypasses that will be needed is around Kinston, Havelock and a new alignment between Havelock and Morehead City (Northern Carteret Bypass). The new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro, contrary to popular belief, has not hurt the city. The city has been benefitting from it. The Clayton Bypass opened in 2008 and it hasn't killed Clayton yet.
Look on google maps, one of the states most criss crossed by highways is NC. not florida, but NC. Why? I don't think we need all these highways. Not va, ga, or florida can compare.. only states like PA and NJ look like NC with all the damn highways.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
To keep growth going. If Greenville got an interstate linked from Norfolk to Charleston, growth will become insane. Traffic congestion is only gonna get worse and make people wanna leave...
Why do we want to continue the rapid growth I mentioned above? Just because a place isn't cutting down thousands of acres a day doesn't mean its sinking... Greenville has been growing at a fairly steady pace and it should stay that way... why do we need a massive city everywhere? There are much better options than ruining our countryside... how about some damn public transportation? How about a metro system with some rail? Humans are always looking for the quickest fix not the best. I think its our duty to protect our land from the disgusting types of development that many portions of America saw that displaced farmers and turned millions of acres of land into suburbs... PROTECT OUR LAND!!! I always see threads on here about massive development but never about conservation efforts...

Old 09-10-2017, 01:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I would not mind another interstate-standard highway parallel east of Interstate 95 not only to accommodate growth and alleviate interstate traffic, but to improve the network of roads necessary for evacuation if North Carolina had tropical depressions, tropical storms, and hurricanes coming. The highway would have to be planned and built wisely.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Look on google maps, one of the states most criss crossed by highways is NC. not florida, but NC. Why? I don't think we need all these highways. Not va, ga, or florida can compare.. only states like PA and NJ look like NC with all the damn highways.
I grew up in eastern NC and one of the things I miss most is the ease of getting from Point A to Point B. Here in southern VA, there's only about 3 somewhat decent 4-lane non-interstate highways, US-29, US-58 (which is a speed trap) and US-360. Unless you're planning a commute to Lynchburg, Martinsville or Richmond, you're screwed. Forget Roanoke.

Meanwhile from my stomping grounds in Wayne County, I have a clear and easy shot to Raleigh, Wilson, Rocky Mount, Wilmington, the Crystal Coast and nearly everywhere in between in the region.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
There's no way they can upgrade existing US-70 through Morehead City. That will create major impact.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
There's no way they can upgrade existing US-70 through Morehead City. That will create major impact.
The Northern Carteret Bypass is supposed to bypass Morehead City and end at Beaufort. There's a short new alignment of US-70 being built around Beaufort as part of the Gallants Channel Bridge project. I don't know if the alignment is being built to interstate standards, but I think the new bridge is. Assuming the Northern Carteret Bypass gets built, it's a safe bet the new Gallants Channel Bridge will be the ending point of I-42.

However, there's been no further action regarding the Northern Carteret Bypass other than a feasibility study in 2009. There's been no mention of it since and the bypass is gone from the US-70 Corridor map. Given that it would cut through much more of the Croatan National Forest than the Havelock Bypass (which is stalled due to a lawsuit), I'm not too surprised. NCDOT will probably have to go back to the drawing board.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
The Northern Carteret Bypass is supposed to bypass Morehead City and end at Beaufort. There's a short new alignment of US-70 being built around Beaufort as part of the Gallants Channel Bridge project. I don't know if the alignment is being built to interstate standards, but I think the new bridge is. Assuming the Northern Carteret Bypass gets built, it's a safe bet the new Gallants Channel Bridge will be the ending point of I-42.

However, there's been no further action regarding the Northern Carteret Bypass other than a feasibility study in 2009. There's been no mention of it since and the bypass is gone from the US-70 Corridor map. Given that it would cut through much more of the Croatan National Forest than the Havelock Bypass (which is stalled due to a lawsuit), I'm not too surprised. NCDOT will probably have to go back to the drawing board.
I have a feeling I-42 could just end at the end of the Havelock Bypass if they are not gonna build the Northern Carteret Bypass. Because at Morehead City, They have a railroad track between the roadway itself, and there's buildings and houses along there. Definitely can't upgrade there.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling I-42 could just end at the end of the Havelock Bypass if they are not gonna build the Northern Carteret Bypass. Because at Morehead City, They have a railroad track between the roadway itself, and there's buildings and houses along there. Definitely can't upgrade there.
I agree. The southeastern end of the Havelock Bypass will have to be the end of I-42 if the N.C. Bypass doesn't get built. Even US-70 in Newport would be impossible to upgrade.

Here's the 2009 feasibility study of the Northern Carteret Bypass.

(Warning: It's a huge file!)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2009.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina