Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times

Advertisements

I used to drive from Greenville to Norfolk weekly and because of the US-17 construction in Chesapeake I would hop over from 17 to 168 in Moyock and use it to get to I-464. It's a good road but 168 is owned and managed and tolled by the city of Chesapeake. It's a very expensive toll unless you join their discount program for frequent users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I used to drive from Greenville to Norfolk weekly and because of the US-17 construction in Chesapeake I would hop over from 17 to 168 in Moyock and use it to get to I-464. It's a good road but 168 is owned and managed and tolled by the city of Chesapeake. It's a very expensive toll unless you join their discount program for frequent users.
Part of US-17 in Chesapeake is tolled now too. They started tolling after the Dominion Blvd widening project wrapped up.

Apparently, the connector concept includes a loop ramp to southbound US-17, which would mean that I-87 would still follow US-17 into Virginia even in the very unlikely event the connector is built.

While I'm thinking about it, I-87 could (and should) take over I-464 and end at I-264 in Norfolk. VDOT could easily request replacing I-464 with I-87 if they wanted. It's already started in Raleigh. Might as well start it in Norfolk too and focus on connecting the ends.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Virginia loves their tolls. People in the Triangle whine about the toll road but at least the toll road is a convenience, unlike the Norfolk-Portsmouth tunnels.

When I stopped frequenting Norfolk I kept my VDOT E-ZPass and use it to take 147/540 whenever I-40 in Durham is backed up around Miami Blvd. Nobody's ever on it

Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
Will I-87 get thrown on US 17 or Highway 168? Because VDOT already upgraded US 17 and it will continue south. I would think upgrading US 17 would be better than throwing it on 168 because that part is more boring while US 17 looks nicer.

Can't wait to see the maps... (Especially upgrading that interchange at US 13 where it gets a flyover ramp from westbound US 64 to south US-13.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Will I-87 get thrown on US 17 or Highway 168? Because VDOT already upgraded US 17 and it will continue south. I would think upgrading US 17 would be better than throwing it on 168 because that part is more boring while US 17 looks nicer.

Can't wait to see the maps... (Especially upgrading that interchange at US 13 where it gets a flyover ramp from westbound US 64 to south US-13.
I-87 will stay on US-17. Here's NCDOT's presentation that was mentioned in the article:

http://www.dailyadvance.com/.media/2...16cdf09686.pdf

US-17 in VA does not meet interstate standards so VDOT will still need to do their part, though I wouldn't count it anytime soon, if ever.

While there's likely zero chance NCDOT would get approval from the Army Corps of Engineers to build the connector linking US-17 and VA-168, I think it's a good idea. That connector (combined with VA-168) could serve as a detour route for traffic on US-17 in NC heading to Chesapeake in case US-17 in VA is shut down for any reason (construction, accidents, etc.). That connector would also give residents living along VA-168 in southern Chesapeake easy access to US-17.

It's not like VA (or Chesapeake) would have a problem with it. VA-168 and US-17 in VA both have tolls, so either way drivers are gonna get reamed.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Virginia loves their tolls. People in the Triangle whine about the toll road but at least the toll road is a convenience, unlike the Norfolk-Portsmouth tunnels.
Portsmouth got screwed big time. From what I'm told, businesses there have taken a big hit after the tolls got slapped on the Downtown Tunnel. The toll contract there is about as rotten as the I-77 toll lane contract near Charlotte.

Quote:
When I stopped frequenting Norfolk I kept my VDOT E-ZPass and use it to take 147/540 whenever I-40 in Durham is backed up around Miami Blvd. Nobody's ever on it
I believe it. The last time I passed by NC-540, it was a ghost town. I'd probably get crucified on the Triangle forum for saying that. I heard it cost around $6.00 to travel the whole length of the Triangle Expressway. I paid roughly that much on the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90) to go from I-77 to I-280 near Toledo back in 2013 on my way to my cousin's high school graduation in Michigan.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 AM

To go from I-40 on NC147 down to where it meets NC540, then back up to join I-540 as it crosses I-40 is only like 80 cents. I can’t remember the exact amount but it’s not much. I’ve not been further south than that.

If I’m coming east from Durham and need to get to I-540, it’s worth the change if traffic on I-40 is at a standstill.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM

They need like I-287 going to greenville (In my opinion) Oh wait... They already got I-587! If they can make another interstate go with I-87 and go down to Myrtle Beach, I think I-92 maybe? Maybe I-97? Lol!!

I would love to see an interstate go through Greenville and go to Wilmington. I would love to see them build a s*** ton of highways on the east coast to increase growth.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
From what I've seen, I believe the Bethel to Greenville and Ayden to Kinston corridors will eventually become interstate standard highways.

Once that occurs, I could definitely see a spur of I-42 from Kinston to I-87 in Bethel being made. Since the numbers for I 87 would be odd to create a 187 or 387 Bethel to Kinston, I guess a 42 spur would work.

----------

Now all that's left would be connecting Kinston to I-40 in some way. I'd say build an interstate level road between either Kinston and Kenansville or Kinston and Wallace.

But with all of these new interstates in NC, that will just leave Jacksonville as the largest city in NC over 50k without interstate access. With the large military presence, it would probably a good idea to connect them too.

So I propose a spur of 42 running south of Kinston running parallel with 258, skirting the western edge of Jacksonville, before turning sharply W or SW and connecting with either 40 Wallace, or 40 in Burgaw.

It would look completely crazy and probably wouldn't ever get done, but I think at least having a 4 lane highway between kenansville & kinston would work .

Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Let's try to make NC-11, NC-241 and NC-41 a freeway between Greenville and Wilmington. Because if they are connecting US-117 with I-40 to Goldsboro, I think NC-11 should also get connected as well.

So that will require the Greenville Southwest Bypass, And the CF Harvey Parkway extension. They need to connect it to NC-11 or use the project that they planned in 2010.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2010.pdf

And I think they should extend that project to NC-11 because it will look weird if NC-11 gets thrown on the Kinston Bypass. The project looks good, but I want to see get extended further south and go with NC-11, not end at NC-58.

And now towards Deep Run, It might have to be put on a new alignment because it will be kinda hard to upgrade there. and make a bypass for Pink Hill.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2015.pdf

This project is great but I think they should also bypass Beulaville and not parellel with NC-24.

And for Chinquapin, They have to make a new alignment and I think the freeway should connect here:

http://prntscr.com/glyshw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina