Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times

Advertisements

We bought properties there in 2004 and have visited 2-4 times a year. Never once smelled anything foul at all. not even the lakes or ponds smell. I kind of doubt the nay-sayers have ever been inside River Landing.

Since 2004 there has been a significant amount of growth outside the community...and all of it has been done in a nice way. Was also glad to see a few shops opening in the old part of town starting a regrowth of this old town. I was tempted when I saw the real estate prices of these buildings and wished I had an idea for a shop to open.

The community itself has nice amenities that are well maintained. The homes are nice... and there is a consistency in them. except for the Murphys' homes which are more elaborate. The common areas cannot compare to any other community...the landscaping of RL far exceeds any community we visited for our retirement. We have taken a canoe down the river several times and love the river house. The people are very friendly. We are owners -but only visit- and have been invited in to see people's homes when they see us riding through on the golf cart or sitting alone in the clubhouse.

There are development owned properties. They have been taken off the market to allow the homeowners -who bought and now find they will not be building there- a chance to sell their properties without the competition. They will list again when the market warrants it. I have a RL property available for sale having bought it for investment /to sell to close friend who choose to buy in Asheville /Black Mtn instead.

We drove up and down the coast of NC and decided that RL was a safer choice being inland and yet it is close enough to get to Wrightsville beach whenever we wanted. Again we liked the amenities more than all the others. And the fact that the developer (Murphy) had everything paid for and in place gave us a safe feeling that what we were promised would be delivered.

Last edited by ilmpp2much; 11-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalpert View Post
I have a lot in the cedar point section of river landing. It is a pond view 1/2 acre in a established section of RL

We purchased in 2006. Several children later out plans have changed. Pls email me at
Rick@legalinv.com if you would like some pictures.
Thanks for the input, Rsalpert - however we did purchase a lot with a gorgeous pond view over in Ocean Ridge Plantation - I would love to see you pictures, though. I have several other friends who want to move out of Jersey the Tax you till you Die State.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 AM

282 posts, read 382,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
When looking for retirement property in coastal NC, don't let the real estate taxes be the only parameter you look at regarding taxes. Yes, real estate taxes are much lower than most north eastern states. The problem is that NC has a lofty state income tax. When we compared the total NC tax structure to what we pay in our NE state, there was a very slight difference and our property taxes are high here, but our state income tax does not tax social security or pensions. Also, we are taxed on very few food items in our NE state and no clothing is taxed.

We verified the NC tax structure with a CPA in the state to be sure our figures were accurate and to our dismay, they were.
I am considering North Carolina for retirement for many reasons, and state income tax is one of them. Certain pension income vested 5 years prior to Aug 1989 is not taxed in NC. From the NC Bailey Decision:
http://www.dornc.com/taxes/individual/benefits.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyDecision
As a result of the North Carolina Supreme Court’s decision in Bailey v. State of North Carolina and the settlement subsequently reached in that case, North Carolina may not tax retirement benefits received by a retiree (or by a beneficiary of a retiree) from qualifying State, local, or federal retirement systems if the retiree was vested in the retirement system as of August 12, 1989. For most government retirement systems, a person is vested if the person had five or more years of creditable service in a qualifying State, local or federal retirement system as of August 12, 1989.
And the tax reform passed last year does not tax Social Security income any different than federal IRS. And other income is taxed, but reduced by tax reform:

Eliminates the current three-bracket rates of 6, 7 and 7.75 percent with one bracket with a 5.8 percent rate in 2014 and 5.75 percent in 2015.

Last edited by CSRSJim; 01-04-2014 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Added link to NC state web site for Bailey Decision

Old 01-05-2014, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 41,407 times
As someone who grew up down east it always surprises me when northerners want to move to the sticks, especially a place like Wallace, although River Landing is very nice. I think it must be mentioned again though that if you are looking for any kind of culture, you are going to have to hit the interstate and drive 40 - 45 minutes into Wilmington or over an hour to Raleigh. Same goes for shopping at anything other then a Belk's or a Food Lion. If that is your cup of tea then Wallace may be perfect but there's only so much golf you can play before you get bored. I would suggest that anyone who is serious about moving to this part of the state spend a week there. And I don't mean spend a week at Wilmington and drive there one day, I mean book yourself in that Holiday Inn Express for an entire week and get to know the town.

Regarding the smell there certainly can be a smell. We own a home in Topsail and stop at this particular Wallace exit to get gas about half the time we travel. It's what we down east call the "smell of money" and on the wrong day you can make out that something doesn't smell right, although if you don't know what you're smelling you'd probably never guess it's animal waste.

Here is an article that incapsulates what people in that region have been trying to fight in court:
Hundreds file complaints over hog-farm waste | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
Default Beware

From experience have a testing firm do soil testing a minimum 5 feet deep before buying. I have 2 foot of pig feces buried 3 foot down on my lot. Also look at all lawsuits filed on North Carolina and Federal Courts regarding the development before buying.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM

51 posts, read 115,578 times
I too have a small plot in River Village Square. I honestly am looking to sell it as my plans have changed. Honestly, whoever want's it would be getting a very good deal, I will take pretty much anything for it at this point. If anyone is interested please let me know, I can answer questions about the community and amenities as well. It is a great place but just not for me at this point.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
I have property at River Landing and trying to sell it now. I think the prices are too high for the area. Unless you enjoy golf, a lot of golf, don't move here. It is beautiful inside the gates but this subdivision has been around for 20 years and is still not built completely. Once you leave those gates, prices drop. The builders are the only people making money!

Old 01-04-2015, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
Default river landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been in Wallace and it is nice, small country town. It has a few good restaurants and shops. You are about 45 miles from downtown Wilmington. You can look up the profile on the main City-data page.

I have not actually been in River Landing, but we looked online at homes there. It is a well-planned community. If you would enjoy golf as your major recreation, you might consider it. It is much closer to Raleigh than Brunswick County is, and would have less problem with hurricanes and possible flooding.

For us, however, it was simply too far out in the boonies to consider seriously. There were also very little boating or fishing opportunities to interest my husband.
Why I don't I see any good report from this community? All I see is resale at a very low price.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:38 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer View Post
Why I don't I see any good report from this community? All I see is resale at a very low price.
Please read through the comments. River Landing is a long way from the coast, and it is surrounded by farm country including hog and chicken farms.

People looking for a place to retire will generally find Wallace too quiet for their tastes. EG, read the comments by DarthBryan. It is a 45 minute drive into Wilmington if you want good restaurants or culture, even further to the beaches.

I grant that RL is very attractively landscaped, but the surrounding community lacks the amenities most retirees from the north would want.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 PM

73 posts, read 160,510 times
I've owned in RL for years and am NOT looking to sell! LOL. It's a gorgeous community and the Murphy family (developers) did it right. Yes, it's 45 minutes from the ungodly traffic and congestion in Wilmington, but not everyone wants to traverse miles and miles of strip centers every time they leave their home. Some people prefer a more quiet, relaxed, country-style life, and those are the people that love River Landing! Please go look at it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina