Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times

Advertisements

You absolutely do not want to move to Wallace or anywhere in Duplin County. It is the scum of eastern North Carolina, if you ask me. Very, very, very backwoods, and not in a good way. There is also absolutely nothing to do. And I'm from Goldsboro, so I'm not exactly comparing it to the big city life.

River Landing is beautiful, but once you leave those walls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Thank you goldenage!! Been reading all your posts with great interest....I saw on Google Earth today, can you tell me, is the parameter of this development surrounded by chicken farms? I am concerned over the 'smell'. We pass chicken farms on route 13 in Delaware on our way to OBX for vacation, and the smell can be very prominent in the summer. your thoughts?? thank you kindly!!
And yes...the smell of turkey $hit is VERY, VERY strong all throughout Duplin county, including in Wallace.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
We recently bought a pond frontage lot in River Landing after living in Massachusetts our entire life. We traveled to south east NC six times before deciding.....each time viewing more gated communities. Although we do not play golf we plan to walk, ride our bikes, eat at the clubhouse, go boating and just plain stay at home and enjoy our yard once we build. We are retired and do not need daily entertainment. A few times a month or so we may visit the beaches or Wilmington plus travel the area looking for new sights. Our MA home is on the market and we cannot wait to leave this cold state and enjoy a more temperate climate yet still enjoy 4 seasons.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,114 times
Default Update

As a resident of RL for the past 3 years I have yet to smell anything resembling agriculture life (chicken, pigs, etc.). What I do smell are the jasmine vines and clean air

Old 11-09-2018, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,722 times
i do agree with all you said. RL is a very friendly and well planned community for those who love country living. We are standing strong since Hurricane Florence, so many homes flooded on one side of RL. But the Murphy's and my neighbors have been absolutely marvelous, above and beyond. I am honored to live here and do not plan to leave. All who are interested should experience it for themselves. PS: I am a New Yorker born and raised there. So I would suggest anyone who are interest should visit for themselves.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,722 times
MissNancy..Thank you kindly for all the information! Do you know anything about a 'chicken farm smell' that some people have been talking about in that area? I am concerned over that, too.

R L is a very friendly and well planned community for those who love country living. We are staRnding strong since Hurricane Florence, so many homes flooded on one side of RL. But the Murphy's and my neighbors have been absolutely marvelous, above and beyond. I am honored to live here and do not plan to leave. All who are interested should experience it for themselves. PS: I am a New Yorker born and raised there. So I would suggest anyone who are interest should visit for themselves. As for the taxes it beats NE. RL is also well kept, and I have not smelled any Turkney, etc at all. Everyone that visit me love RL. The People make the community, and the people here are beautiful.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 PM

202 posts, read 350,379 times
All these non-natives in this post claiming that place didn’t flood...

Approximately two-thirds of that place flooded.

At least prices are even cheaper now, I suppose.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 PM

202 posts, read 350,379 times
I had forgotten about all of these non-natives claiming that place had never been flooded (not true) and would not flood.

Approximately two-thirds of that place flooded during Florence.

At least prices are even cheaper now, I suppose. Never understood building those new houses right on the river.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:06 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
We’re not N.C. natives but in our 13 years in the coastal southeast, it seems if a hurricane or strong tropical storm comes, if you are near a river, you will have flooding whether inland or not.

I’m in Brunswick County, but we considered RL before buying in Brunswick. RL wasn’t very far along when we looked and we didn’t know if the amenities would really be built. Our county has some “zombie” developments where lots were sold but things promised never materialized.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Eww. River Landing. It was supposed to attract only the wealthy, but it turns out that the SWAMP LAND that River Landing is built on isn't worth too much, huh?

That's what disgusts me the most about Duplin County, I think. They have a mindset of "rich vs. poor." Those who are making an income that would barely be considered lower middle class in most places in the state think they are so much better than the "poor white trash" and the "black people." (and if you don't think most white, born-and-raised Duplin County residents don't use the N-word, then you are sadly mistaken). White women who work at the CONVENIENCE STORE in front of River Landing think they are tough s * * * and are better than everyone.

It is a weird, weird, weird dynamic in Duplin County. If you aren't from there, I would NOT suggest moving there. I'm from one county over (Wayne County), and I could not BELIEVE how different it was. I barely survived there for two years, and I had to come back "home" to civilization. It's seriously a place where people check out your last name first (Cavanaugh, etc.) to see if they know you, are related to you, etc. before they decide if you're even worth talking to.

I have never experienced such ridiculousness in my life, and I'm from ONE COUNTY OVER. It's a whole different world over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina