Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,953 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! My husband and I are retiring at the end of this year. We are both in our late 40's and have no children. Our preferences are:

New construction between 300k to 350k
Close proximity to the beach
Gated community
Some amenities including walking trails/biking, fitness center ( neither of us golf )
Schools are not an issue since we have no children

We live in the suburbs of New York and are looking forward to retiring to a "milder climate".
A friend of ours mentioned Tidalwalk however when doing a search here I couldn't find anything.
She also mentioned Compass Point but it's pretty far from the beach.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM

169 posts, read 584,245 times
St. James comes to mind, over $100,000,000 in completed amenities.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM

158 posts, read 346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty4003 View Post
Hello everyone!! My husband and I are retiring at the end of this year. We are both in our late 40's and have no children. Our preferences are:

Gated community
Some amenities including walking trails/biking, fitness center ( neither of us golf )

We live in the suburbs of New York and are looking forward to retiring to a "milder climate".
A friend of ours mentioned Tidalwalk however when doing a search here I couldn't find anything.

Tidalwalk is a community that went under during the housing recession. It has been taken over by 2 investors, one from Raleigh and the other from Charlotte and roughly 40 homes have been constructed since the take over.
One issue to consider is that homeowners insurance on coastal properties will be increased in the near future to an average increase of some 19% pending the location of the property. Those not in a flood zone will be slightly less than this average increase, but will still increase. Those in a flood zone will increase at a percentage larger than the average 19%.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
Tidalwalk is a community that went under during the housing recession. It has been taken over by 2 investors, one from Raleigh and the other from Charlotte and roughly 40 homes have been constructed since the take over.
In the price range the OP is looking at, they could afford the DR Horton homes. Horton is a mass-production builder, but the OP could probably find something to suit them. There are other builders there, but they are doing custom homes up to $1.5 million.

The TidalWalk literature is carefully written to let you know the pool and other facilities are not built yet. The dock apparently *is* built. The site is gorgeous and has a sand beach on the river. I would keep the community on my short-list, but reserve judgement until I saw it. I don't think DR Horton would commit to a place they thought would fail.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Gated community
You might look a bit further away than Brunswick County. For example, Eagle's Watch in Hampstead has all you need. Mimosa Bay in Onslow County has a pool, fitness center, tennis court, a day dock and quiet roads to walk and bike on. We are 2.5 miles from North Topsail Beach. We also have noise courtesy of the Marine Corps, but the houses are cheap. You can get 3200-3400 SF for under $320K here.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM

3,089 posts, read 4,898,787 times
Quote:

Gated community

I'm not sure if The Bluffs are gated or not, but they are kind of out of the way....and this may not fit your time frame to wait, but the River Lights community will be moving forward in 2 years and will have a ton of available places...this will also be along the River and will not have golf (it is my understanding they are building a 26 acre lake right now).

So that may be two options...keep in mind most of the gated communities close to the water are going to be above 350K, but even if either of these are not gated, they are out of the way enough that they might as well be. I did see a nice house For Sale in Landfall the other day for 450K and I know of a couple of houses in Shipwatch (no pool, but has boat slips) for about that price.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,413,863 times
we take a drive thru tidalwalk once in awhile since we almost bought
in there, they are moving forward with building , slowly.

it is a most gorgeous piece of land with a beautiful intracoastal
beach . we hated seeing it being developed the land is that beautiful.
that said, it is not close to any beaches but is right on the intracoastal
water way and across from masoboro island which is a nature preserve.
you will have a 15 mintue drive to carolina beach for actual beach access.

with that in mind have you checked out Motts landing? it is located closer
to the river but same distance to the beach as tidal walk.
this is also an area we walk in a lot due to the beauti of the land.
they have been building full speed the last couple of years and build what
looks like very nice brick homes. the pool is already done.
Mott's landing is where we spot the fox squirrel , look them up, very confident bit squirrels.
i don't live at either places , just enjoy them.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,772,409 times
Golf is a noun or possibly an adjective, but never a verb. Especially in NC. Having said that...Welcome.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM

59 posts, read 137,636 times
Misty, my husband and I have similiar circumstances to yours, although we're not planning to relocate for another 3-5 years. We're both in our late 40s, no children, and looking in the price range up to $400k. We also have a boat so we wanted someplace with a marina or in close proximity to one. We checked out Tidalwalk last fall and though it was beautiful, it didn't meet what we were looking for. We then checked out Brunswick Forest in Leland (not gated), but it would have been about 20 minutes to a marina and 30 minutes to the beach. We finally went to St. James Plantation and that was it. It is a gated community, has a marina, a lot of walking/bike trails, tons of activities, 4 clubhouses, 5 swimming pools, fitness center (we were told a new, bigger state-of-the-art fitness center is to be built in one of the sections soon) and 81 holes of golf, and a private beach club, just to name a few of the amenities. Depending where you go to the beach and where your home is in St. James, you can be at the beach in less than 15 minutes. SJP has resale homes in the price range you're looking for and I believe they have areas of new homes being built that are maintenance free. We decided to buy a wooded lot where we can eventually build when we're ready to move. They also have a stay and play discovery package wherein you can stay at the plantation for a couple days and really see all that it has to offer which is what we took advantage of. I would suggest you at least check it out...good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,719,366 times
Mott's Landing is where I would have bought 3 years ago if I hadn't bought in Kure Beach. The houses are beautifully designed for long-term living with lots of upgraded features and though it is 'billed' as an active-retirement development there is no age restriction. It has a lovely clubhouse and pool and is backed by a conservation area with the Cape Fear River just beyond. Shopping is easy and near-by. It isn't gated but I don't believe there's a crime issue there.

You might also look at the Cottages at Seagrove in Carolina Beach. Charming coastal style homes within a short bike ride (3 - 5 minutes) to the ocean. I know because I bike through there quite often to check out the build. The houses are smaller than the original Seagrove houses, again due to developer changes during the downturn. But if it is just the two of you and the sometime guest, they wouldn't be too small. There's a pool but no gate. Construction is on-going and they seem to sell quickly.

About the only 'gated' community in the Wilmington area that I can think of that would fit your needs is Landfall, just over the bridge from Wrightsville Beach and close to Airlie Gardens. They have both older and new homes in a wide variety of sizes from cottages to mansions. There's a golf course -- that's NC for you -- and lots of amenities. It is very close to two major shopping centers (Mayfaire and Landfall Center) that have not only national shopping but excellent local shops, restaurants and services. You will need an agent to get in as they don't allow you to just drive idly around.

If you come soon, you'll get to enjoy our beautiful azaleas while they're in bloom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina