Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horvathhh View Post

In coastal North Carolina and South Carolina, what would be the best area to live in terms of the job market if you two had to choose?
Depending on your industry, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. And even those have a rough to very rough employment outlook for most industries.

Not that I necessarily agree with the statistical methods used in any of these lists, but reading them might spark some ideas for you. And notice how few beach cities are included (and remember, job creation in those cities is probably heavily oriented to tourist traffic.)

The 10 Best Cities For Job Seekers - Forbes

The 10 Best Cities to Find Jobs - US News

The Best Cities to Find a Job | WalletHub®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Another important question is the future of the area. Is it improving or on the decline?
What "area" do you mean? NC is an entire state, not monolithic. You need to narrow down what "area" you are talking about, most importantly where you can find a job. NC's employment is fairly high and there are lot of applicants for every job because of everybody and their brother wanting to move here.

Best is to take a trip and scout out the area for yourself, find places you like, then find a job in one of those areas. There is no way to answer whether the whole state of NC is "on the decline". Some places are, some aren't, just like Ohio or any other entire state.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
I also look at it this way. I would rather regret moving south than regret staying in Ohio and not taking a risk.
This implies that the only possible options are Ohio and the Carolinas.

What about another state where the job prospects are better and the cost of living lower? Get a year or two of experience under your belt and your resume will attract a LOT more attention than someone just out of college, especially someone not from the area with no knowledge of it.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! I will be moving to North Carolina from Cleveland, Ohio at the end of June. I am looking to live somewhere along the water within walking distance. (10 minutes or less). A little info about myself to help you guys help me put myself in the best situation. I have always wanted to move North Carolina, I cannot stand Cleveland, Ohio's weather anymore HA. It is miserable. It is also a time for a change in scenery. I am a 27 year old male and will be graduating very shortly with a bachelors degree in Business Administration. I will be looking for a career in marketing or sales (B2B sales). I want to live in an area that is not too crowded, but also not a ghost town. There has to be some sort of nightlife/entertainment in the town (local bars, cover bands, nice restaurants). I would prefer a sleepy town over an overpopulated town as long as there are things to do in nearby cities. Wilmington has caught my attention but it may be too crowded. Below are questions that I have.

Job market? (within a 35-40 minute drive)

Is the area nice? (Parks, trails, clean city, scenery)

Crime rate?

Age demographic? (Are there young adults with good careers in the area)

Friendliness of people?

Are there nice apartments? (My price range is 700-900 per month)

Activities to do?

amenities? (grocery store, restaurants, shopping, recreation center, etc.)

Recreation leagues to join? (Basketball, football, volleyball, softball or soccer)

Anything else that you can add would be great. Thank you!!

I am a former Clevelander that moved to NC (Charlotte) 10 years ago, main reason I could not stand the crappy climate there. Customers tell me it was a horrendous winter and the spring has been all rain. My brother, an avid boater on a flood control lake hasn't been able to enjoy his favorite pastime due to the high water level. In fact I drove from NC today to CLE which was beautiful drive with my convertible top down until I hit rain in Canton. Ironically tonight I am staying at a Twinsburg hotel in a LOBBY as the staff recommended due to the current tornado warning,,. You will notice many more sunny days in the Carolinas.
At least you did not wait as long as I to make the move. My wife and I are in sales and if you are good at it you can always find a job in that industry just about anywhere. There are not many NC coastal towns that meet your criteria. Wilmington is probably the best option and I don't consider the population too big. It's a college town so you have more college age people and activities you would desire there than other coastal communities. I would think most of other coastal towns in NC are a little sleepy and would have more retired folks. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 11,039 times
Default Relocating to NC

Love reading all the advise. only wish someone would help my hubby & I. We are in OIB at this moment looking in the surrounding area, Calabash, Sunset Beach, Little river, North Myrtle Beach, Southport.
Any Help or Advise...

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpluchinoLINEast View Post
Love reading all the advise. only wish someone would help my hubby & I. We are in OIB at this moment looking in the surrounding area, Calabash, Sunset Beach, Little river, North Myrtle Beach, Southport.
You are the empty-nester jewelry designer, right? Frankly, I don't know the best place to market your jewelry. If it is an upscale product, then you might try the Cotton Exchange in Wilmington, or one of the shops in Market Commons in Myrtle Beach. Otherwise, the beach towns just sell seashell souveniers made in China.

Otherwise you might post a separate thread and tell us more about yourself, for example whether you need "real" jobs or are semi-retired. I would like to know why you think Calabash etc are suitable.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,128 times
Hi all, I am planning to move to North Carolina this August from NJ (I was born in NY). I visited the state a couple of times and it's a nice state however I am concerned about the people and if there are fun things to do there. I've been told it's boring. I am in my late 30s by the way and I am just asking for information. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceVitaGirl06 View Post
Hi all, I am planning to move to North Carolina this August from NJ (I was born in NY). I visited the state a couple of times and it's a nice state however I am concerned about the people and if there are fun things to do there. I've been told it's boring. I am in my late 30s by the way and I am just asking for information.
1. Where are you moving to?
2. What is boring about 300 miles of beautiful beaches?
3. What are you interested in doing?

By way of an answer about fun things to do, we have plenty of bars, restaurants and nightclubs. The beaches do not have the honky-tonk atmosphere of Myrtle Beach but you can go para-sailing, stand-up paddle-boarding, surfing, boating, fishing or soaking up the sun.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-20-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Charleston
Va Beach
Wilmington

Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
1. Where are you moving to?
2. What is boring about 300 miles of beautiful beaches?
3. What are you interested in doing?

By way of an answer about fun things to do, we have plenty of bars, restaurants and nightclubs. The beaches do not have the honky-tonk atmosphere of Myrtle Beach but you can go para-sailing, stand-up paddle-boarding, surfing, boating, fishing or soaking up the sun.
I am moving to Durham. I love to visit the beaches, go to the aquariums, the zoo, museums, baseball games. I want to go to Italian restaraunts and other places like TGIFridays.

I also like to go to the gym where I can get in shape. I want to meet a diverse group of people.

I am a live and let live person. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina