Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks Coastal & Purple.

Whatever did we do before CD????????????????

I emailed my realtor (also Carolina Plantations Realty) and he said we just ran out of time but I intend to check it out on my next visit.

And can you describe why WRP attracted you? Again, I understand that "feeling" concept that is hard to describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM

39 posts, read 102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Thanks Coastal & Purple.

Whatever did we do before CD????????????????

I emailed my realtor (also Carolina Plantations Realty) and he said we just ran out of time but I intend to check it out on my next visit.

And can you describe why WRP attracted you? Again, I understand that "feeling" concept that is hard to describe.

For us, it was the natural setting with the mature trees. The plantations in Leland (no offense to those homeowners) looked like someone decided to build a development in a corn field. St. James was beautiful, but we didn't like the "feel" of it. We drove past the entrances several times and saw traffic backed up at the gatehouses. I also thought SLP was overpriced and is too golf oriented for us like the other plantations nearer South Carolina. WRP has a lot of retirees, but also has a lot of younger people with school age and younger children. We liked the idea of having younger families in the area.

I would suggest you make a list of the items you want the most. Take your time and you will find the right area. I don't think there is a "perfect" area, just a lot of choices.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM

99 posts, read 243,393 times
On the second and more challenging question regarding the feeling, I'll start with a little story our real estate person told us and that is; when the mother was asked by her young daughter how she would know when she was in love, the mother replied, "You'll just know". We found this to be true, in our case, both in selecting the community and while on the same trip, the building lot.

We had never heard of WRP, last October, while driving from Oak Island to Raleigh. We had time and Mrs. Coastal said "let's pull in here" as we were about to drive past WRP. We had zero familiarity with the community. Just by chance, we took the third right and drove to the end where the boathouse and marina are on the Lockwood Folly River, over looking the marshes. Almost as if we had rehearsed our line and like an involuntary motor response we both exclaimed "OH WOW!!. We just knew.

After a two year journey, multiple trips to the area and looking at a number of really nice communities we continued to scrutinize our needs/wants/priorities list. We did not have opportunity to tour WRP until our return trip this past March. Having had the WOW!! feeling in October we were armed with a spreadsheet of lots and re-sales in WRP on our March Trip. We took another look at BWF and a tour of WRP the next day, again, the WOW feeling. Over two days we looked at 9 re-sales & 24 building lots, our building permit was recently posted on our lot.

After having done the due-diligence, based on our experience, you'll get the feeling, you'll just know.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Thank you Coastal & Mr Purple. I totally understand what you're both saying as this very thing has happened to me in the past.

I also like the communities with mixed ages. The neighborhood I live in now was mostly older/retired age and slowly, bit by bit, younger people are moving in and it has become so much more interesting and vibrant.

Good luck with your moves.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 PM

We are not golfers so the 27 holes at WRP were not a draw for us. However, I did like the fact that the course was an Audubon approved course. We like the trees, the squirrels and the different types of birds at WRP. WRP will be a smaller community when built out, we liked that. The scenery from the boathouse is magnificent. As a kayaker I like having the little marina right in the community' I like the idea of at times being able to watch the dolphins chase fish up the Lockwood Folly River, from the boathouse.

We really like the beach house with pool, on the ocean.

We also "feel" more comfortable being closer to 17, just in case.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
We are not golfers so the 27 holes at WRP were not a draw for us. However, I did like the fact that the course was an Audubon approved course. We like the trees, the squirrels and the different types of birds at WRP. WRP will be a smaller community when built out, we liked that. The scenery from the boathouse is magnificent. As a kayaker I like having the little marina right in the community' I like the idea of at times being able to watch the dolphins chase fish up the Lockwood Folly River, from the boathouse.

We really like the beach house with pool, on the ocean.

We also "feel" more comfortable being closer to 17, just in case.
OK - you just hit the magic button - I would love this

I found their By laws online and is it correct that no fences are allowed? I have 2 dogs and really would like a fence. This helps to keep unwanted critters out of the yard.

Also, I plan to be a kayaker - I got a new car last Oct and out on a kayak carrier.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 AM

39 posts, read 102,487 times
Quote:

I found their By laws online and is it correct that no fences are allowed? I have 2 dogs and really would like a fence. This helps to keep unwanted critters out of the yard.

Also, I plan to be a kayaker - I got a new car last Oct and out on a kayak carrier.

I looked at one home and it had a small fence in the back yard, the couple had preschool age twins. The fence was not visible from the street which might be a factor? I believe another house near me has a small fenced which is not visible from the street. I have seen a lot of people walking dogs, but I haven't seen many dogs in the yards. Remember, we are using our house as a vacation home until we move to WRP early next year. I believe our house has an electric fence, but we are on the fairway so I doubt a dog barking at the golfers would be acceptable.

You might submit a request to the HOA web sit for more information.

HOME

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
Quote:

You can have fencing out of approved material and height. You can, however, only fence the backyard with no fencing visible from the street or common areas. So the fencing would be only the length of the house not encompassing the side yards.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
You can have fencing out of approved material and height. You can, however, only fence the backyard with no fencing visible from the street or common areas. So the fencing would be only the length of the house not encompassing the side yards.
Thanks for the info - this would be sufficient.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM

When you visit WRP I suggest the first thing you want to do is drive to the end of Boathouse Rd. Sit in one of the chairs in back of the boathouse. Visualize the setting sun and the dolphins playing in the river. Don't overlook the kayak launch cradle next to the boat ramp......you will be on your way to WOW!!

The site Mr. Purple suggested is excellent for answering specific questions. When we were considering WRP I had certain key criteria I wanted to speak to; Kayaking, Boating, Gardening, I called CAMS, the management group and was provided a name and contact info of a person to speak with, each was very helpful.

BTW there is a Kayaking group at WRP. Also SJP has an active Kayaking club that is open to non-SJP residents.

Save your visit to the beach house for last, you will arrive at WOW!!

Hope to see you in Winding River Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina