Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM

39 posts, read 102,487 times

Advertisements

Any comments about Waterberry Plantation in Leland? I realize it is not a Brunswick Forest or SJP type of development. My realtor just sent me some nice listings and I will be in the Wilmington area on Friday for a few days. I plan to do the Parade of Homes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple View Post
Any comments about Waterberry Plantation in Leland? I realize it is not a Brunswick Forest or SJP type of development. My realtor just sent me some nice listings and I will be in the Wilmington area on Friday for a few days.
Since I had never heard of it, I did a search on Zillow. It has the advantage of having large lots (almost an acre) and real mature trees. Personally, I would find it much more pleasant to live in a place like that than in Brunswick Forest (which has very few trees and the typical lot is 2/10 acre).

The prices are not bad, and the location is convenient to Southport, the beach and Wilmington. I think it could be a good choice.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-24-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Any comments about Waterberry Plantation in Leland? I realize it is not a Brunswick Forest or SJP type of development. My realtor just sent me some nice listings and I will be in the Wilmington area on Friday for a few days. I plan to do the Parade of Homes.
Mr Purple - What did you think of it? I just saw a gorgeous house (on Zillow) that is very reasonable.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Mr Purple - What did you think of it? I just saw a gorgeous house (on Zillow) that is very reasonable.

I thought it was a nice area and the homes were gorgeous, but Mrs Purple didn't like it. We follow the GPS from Leland and went through a "rough" area adjacent to the back entrance of the development which turned her off. Some of the empty lots were overgrown and had for sale signs in Waterberry which did concern us. She phoned the realtor and told her take the house off the list so we never tour the site. We found the main entrance off of 133, but she had made up her mind.

Some free advice from someone who has been looking since last August for their retirement home and closed on the house this month. Decide what is most important to you: location; amenities; closeness to the water or beach ect. Then concentrate on the area. We loved some of the older neighborhoods in Wilmington like Forest Hills and Oleander, but they were too far from the beach and taxes were a concern. We really like a couple of homes inside and outside the "gates" at Porter's Neck. We almost made offers on houses in Eagles Watch and Old Point in Hampstead. We liked Crown Point, but it was too far north. We toured all the "plantations" in Leland and in southern Brunswick County. Since we will be retiring, locations from shopping was not an issue. We currently live in Richmond, VA and Trader Joes; Whole Foods; Wegmans has announced a new store; major upscale shopping and Wal Mart and Target are 10 minutes away. I plan to buy a diesel VW and I will have time for road trips to Wilmington via the ferry for shopping.

You might "join" a real estate firm web site. We were referred to a realtor at Blue Coast who was wonderful to work with and she did a lot of the leg work for us. Most of the internet sites don't give an accurate view of the properties, but they can be a starting point. Check out the below link to Blue Coast and good luck!

Wilmington NC Homes & Houses for Sale

Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I thought it was a nice area and the homes were gorgeous, but Mrs Purple didn't like it. We follow the GPS from Leland and went through a "rough" area adjacent to the back entrance of the development which turned her off. Some of the empty lots were overgrown and had for sale signs in Waterberry which did concern us. She phoned the realtor and told her take the house off the list so we never tour the site. We found the main entrance off of 133, but she had made up her mind.

Some free advice from someone who has been looking since last August for their retirement home and closed on the house this month. Decide what is most important to you: location; amenities; closeness to the water or beach ect. Then concentrate on the area. We loved some of the older neighborhoods in Wilmington like Forest Hills and Oleander, but they were too far from the beach and taxes were a concern. We really like a couple of homes inside and outside the "gates" at Porter's Neck. We almost made offers on houses in Eagles Watch and Old Point in Hampstead. We liked Crown Point, but it was too far north. We toured all the "plantations" in Leland and in southern Brunswick County. Since we will be retiring, locations from shopping was not an issue. We currently live in Richmond, VA and Trader Joes; Whole Foods; Wegmans has announced a new store; major upscale shopping and Wal Mart and Target are 10 minutes away. I plan to buy a diesel VW and I will have time for road trips to Wilmington via the ferry for shopping.

You might "join" a real estate firm web site. We were referred to a realtor at Blue Coast who was wonderful to work with and she did a lot of the leg work for us. Most of the internet sites don't give an accurate view of the properties, but they can be a starting point. Check out the below link to Blue Coast and good luck!

Wilmington NC Homes & Houses for Sale
I like the sound of the ferry thing - one of the unique things I love about the area.

I have a realtor and when I ask about communities we didn't visit when I was there he says they are all "nice". I want to hear real opinions from people. I may not agree but I have

Old 07-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I like the sound of the ferry thing - one of the unique things I love about the area.

I have a realtor and when I ask about communities we didn't visit when I was there he says they are all "nice". I want to hear real opinions from people. I may not agree but I have
FWIW; We ended up buying in Winding River Plantation. We also looked at houses in Brunswick Forest; Waterford; Magnolia Green and St. James. We felt that WRP was the best "fit" for us. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM

99 posts, read 243,393 times
FWIW, we looked at a number of communities in both SC & NC, over a two year time span. The process of visiting various communities helped us develop our list of must have priorities. If Mrs. Coastal or I had a "not right" feeling about a community, it was off the list. We really liked Brunswick Forest and it looked like we were going to select BWF as our place to be, we both had a "good" feeling about BWF. It was only by chance we took a ride through Winding River Plantation last October and we both had the "WOW!" factor at the same time. We didn't get an opportunity to tour WRP until this March, which is when we bought our building lot, in WRP, but not until we went back to BWF for one last look.

To a great extent we went with "feel", made a decision based on "gut". All analytics and the spreadsheets
we had developed during our two year process helped us to make basically an emotional decision.

WRP is the community that best fit our list of needs/wants.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Winding River

What are the POA fees in WRP? What specifically did you both like about it - I know it's tough to describe a feel but try.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM

99 posts, read 243,393 times
The easy part first, the HOA fee at WRP is competitive with other communities just under $1000 annually. The amenities are significant and the maintenance is top shelf.

I need to run for now but I'll get back to you on the more complex piece.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 PM

I am not sure of all the amenities since I haven't move permanently to WRP. It does include the pool; fitness center; Community Clubhouse; River House; boat slips at the river and on the Inter-coastal Waterway; beach house and pool at Holden Beach; trash pickup and security at night; an area for boat and RV storage and a community garden. Also included is maintenance of the common areas and of the private roads.The monthly fee is $89 per month. I know that the golf course membership is not included, but you can use the restaurant at the country club.

I had a realtor at Carolina Plantations tell me you got more "bang for your money at WRP than any of the other plantations'. You don't hear of any advertising for WRP since it is completely sold out, but only 60% of the lots are completely built. After purchasing my resale, I found out that a couple of builders own some of the lots and private individuals will sell their undeveloped lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina