Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

This thread caught my eye.
I am a single retired lady that would love to move from Raleigh to the coast.
Love the Southport area.

I would love to know updates on some of you that were making the move years ago.
Where did you settle and how is it working out.

The suggestion for a single retired beach bound ladies is a great idea.
We should do that !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This thread caught my eye.
I am a single retired lady that would love to move from Raleigh to the coast.
Love the Southport area.

I would love to know updates on some of you that were making the move years ago.
Where did you settle and how is it working out.

The suggestion for a single retired beach bound ladies is a great idea.
We should do that !!!
Thought a followup to this post may help others.
Last summer I sold in Raleigh and moved to Oak Island.

Absolutely loving the beach life & small town community I have found here.
Feel free to PM me with questions about the move or area...

Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Kelly, my husband and I moved from Raleigh to Southport last August. We are very happy we made the move. We love being just a few minutes to the beach and have everything we need close by. I have 2 good friends who live on Oak Island and absolutely love it.

Thanks for your follow up and so glad you are happy!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Kelly, my husband and I moved from Raleigh to Southport last August. We are very happy we made the move. We love being just a few minutes to the beach and have everything we need close by. I have 2 good friends who live on Oak Island and absolutely love it.

Thanks for your follow up and so glad you are happy!
Isn't this area wonderful. So glad I moved !!!
My friends love to visit too !!!

Old 07-21-2021, 04:39 PM

56 posts, read 112,860 times
Hi, someone sent me your post when I submitted mine. Did you move to Wilmington, NC? If so, how do you like it?

Old 07-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Glad to hear there are other single people out there looking to retire in the coastal NC area. I was beginning to wonder~~~~ I have a feeling there are many more, we just have to find them.

There were several ladies from IL staying at my hotel that were thinking of moving to the area when they retire.

I drove there (stayed at Ocean Isle Beach) the end of March and looked around at many different areas: Brunswick Forest, Wilmington (various spots), Ocean Ridge (I really liked this), Porters Neck, Sunset Ridge, Southport (so cute), Calabash (great seafood), Shallot (cute town).

I missed Compass Point - I will have to check this out at my next visit.

I was thinking I would look more into Wilmington because I'm single and I feel the social aspects would be better. There are many meet up groups there - good way to start meeting people. I felt there would be more to do for a single person in Wilmington.

My realtor seemed to be pushing Brunswick Forest but I was there 2 days and it seemed like a ghost town - there are no people out and about. There were a few in the exercise rooms but none just out.

I plan to move this summer and will most likely rent until I'm sure where I want to end up.
Hi, someone sent me your post when I submitted mine. Did you move to Wilmington, NC? If so, how do you like it?

Old 07-21-2021, 10:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Hi Gali - Not yet - working now on getting everything ready - I swear it will be this fall. No hurricanes, covid, friends/family problems - perfect time to sell this house. Are you going? Hope to meet other singles there.

I have friends in CO that are moving to SC - tried to talk me into it but again it was a small town - just not for me.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:00 AM

Hi, great to hear back from you! I am checking on things in Wilmington and plan to visit in a couple months to check out if it feels like a place I would like to live. My previous visits were just day trips there (from my friend's house in SC) but I would like to see if I feel a good vibe about moving there. I was glad to see some nice groups in Wilmington listed on Meetup.com. If you feel like it, message me your e-mail address & we can stay in touch.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,899 times
Like others, I came across this post. I'm searching too. I'm a 63 year old not yet retired single lady looking for both a social life and senior low income housing for myself and elderly dog. I tutor part-time online and elected to get early Social Security last year due to Covid hitting and harder and harder tines. I'm originally from South Florida but have been living in the Raleigh-Durham area but I am longing for the coast. Does anyone know of any apartments for someone like me? I learned about Brunswick County here reading your posts. Even a manufactured home is a possibility. I like the New Bern area and possibly Wilmington also.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
..........senior low income housing for myself and elderly dog.......Does anyone know of any apartments for someone like me? ....... Even a manufactured home is a possibility. I like the New Bern area and possibly Wilmington also.
There are some low income housing units run by this corporation: https://www.ahepahousing.org/ They are at 109 N Kerr Avenue in Wilmington. I can't speak to their availability of safety. There is a Wilmington Housing Authority, which indicates their waiting lists are close, but you can check here: Wilmington Housing Authority Home - WHA

There is probably a similar situatuation with New Bern regarding "government run" low-income housing.

Frankly, I think that renting a manufactured home is a better option, as you would be further away from potentially dangerous neighbors. If you can afford to buy a manufactured home, there is also a Jensen's Park in Hampstead called Coastal Plantation. This is a sample unit for sale: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M68368-25684

Also check the small towns of Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge. I know of numerous manufactured units rented on the open market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina