Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times

Advertisements

I have been on CD since 2008. I have seen countless folks, who moved south for weather and taxes, REGRET their decision to no end.

Move TO a place is so much better an idea than moving FROM a place.

You commented on benefits. NC Benefits are a pittance of what you experience in NY. That is why taxes are less. Many, many folks will start to miss the benefits they have grown used to, immediately. Then we start hearing the dreaded, "where I used to live, we ......." I would rather pay a lot more taxes and have more benefits, but I am in the minority.

Please be sure you wish to embrace a much different lifestyle before you move here, rather than you looking at a means to escape higher taxes and colder weather.

Oh, check the Raleigh and Charlotte forum for jobs. You will be shocked!

Finally, there are lots and lots of really smart people in NC. We are not all bumpkins. NC has arguably the best state university system going, certainly in the top two or three. There are lots of SMART people out of work down here. Just being smart and experienced is absolutely no guarantee of stepping right in to a decent job in NC.

Not trying to discourage you, but have seen too many posts, like yours, over the years, that end up in bitter diatribes against the Old North State and its hayseed people.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
Thanks, I didn't consider VA as I thought it also has a high cost of living...no? My brother-in-law lives in VA and I hear the beaches are nice....
The prices of real estate are probably a bit higher than North Carolina, but probably lower than where-ever you are in New York. Property taxes are a bit higher, but then North Carolina will nickel-and-dime you with sales taxes. I ran a sample COL comparison at my favorite site, and the COL in Wilmington is higher than Portsmouth, VA. A salary of $70K in Wilmington would be the equivalent of $64K in Portsmouth.

The more important criterion is the availability of jobs. The Hampton Roads area is a huge job market compared to anywhere in Coastal North Carolina.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 AM

277 posts, read 436,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have been on CD since 2008. I have seen countless folks, who moved south for weather and taxes, REGRET their decision to no end.

You commented on benefits. NC Benefits are a pittance of what you experience in NY. That is why taxes are less. Many, many folks will start to miss the benefits they have grown used to, immediately. Then we start hearing the dreaded, "where I used to live, we ......." I would rather pay a lot more taxes and have more benefits, but I am in the minority.

Please be sure you wish to embrace a much different lifestyle before you move here, rather than you looking at a means to escape higher taxes and colder weather.

Finally, there are lots and lots of really smart people in NC. We are not all bumpkins. NC has arguably the best state university system going, certainly in the top two or three. There are lots of SMART people out of work down here. Just being smart and experienced is absolutely no guarantee of stepping right in to a decent job in NC.

Not trying to discourage you, but have seen too many posts, like yours, over the years, that end up in bitter diatribes against the Old North State and its hayseed people.

Good Luck.
Spot on

Old 06-22-2014, 11:29 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
I'm interested in moving out of NY because of the long winters and very high cost of living. I'm an RN and my husband is a network administrator. I know we probably have better job prospects in the Raleigh area, but we want to live closer to the ocean. Anyone who lives on the coast and have jobs in nursing and IT, please give us some thoughts on living on the coast. We're homebodies and are simply interested in safe cities close enough to shopping, the beach, and Wilmington .

Thanks.
Why are you limiting your self to only Wilmington?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:35 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Good Luck.
"I have seen countless folks, who moved south for weather and taxes, REGRET their decision to no end."

I have experienced just the Opposite.

When I first bought my lot 14 years ago we came here at least twice a year until moving here 7 1/2 ago years and heard from then till now, "I wish I coulda' woulda' shoulda' moved her sooner!" And I totally AGREE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina