Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 AM

18 posts, read 30,337 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in moving out of NY because of the long winters and very high cost of living. I'm an RN and my husband is a network administrator. I know we probably have better job prospects in the Raleigh area, but we want to live closer to the ocean. Anyone who lives on the coast and have jobs in nursing and IT, please give us some thoughts on living on the coast. We're homebodies and are simply interested in safe cities close enough to shopping, the beach, and Wilmington .

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 05:53 AM

13,385 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
Anyone who lives on the coast and have jobs in nursing and IT, please give us some thoughts on living on the coast.
You will probably get dead silence on this one. The reason is very few IT (or network administration) jobs anywhere near the coast, and lots of competition for nursing jobs. A nurse friend landed a part-time job at New Hanover Regional Hospital.

I worked in an IT specialty and considered commuting weekly for a contract in Raleigh, but I never got a nibble, and staying in Raleigh would have made it cost-prohibitive. (BTW, I saw a systems administrator job at Camp Lejeune on Indeed.com, but they will prob give preference to ex-military already there.)

If your husband is fortunate enough to have a skill he can work from home or he can start his own business, he might have a chance.

Otherwise, most of the people on this forum are retirees, or wannabee retirees.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,762,810 times
You might consider New Bern. Fairly big hospital, and there are certain public entities that need competent network admin desperately. Greenville is not really coast, but with ECU and the big hospital, you might be on to something there. Wilmington is another good, not great option.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 AM

13,385 posts, read 27,173,643 times
You might also consider the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach area for similar climate and more jobs. Perhaps also the Coast Guard facility in Elizabeth City, NC for an IT network job.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-15-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 AM

288 posts, read 416,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
I'm interested in moving out of NY because of the long winters and very high cost of living. I'm an RN and my husband is a network administrator. I know we probably have better job prospects in the Raleigh area, but we want to live closer to the ocean. Anyone who lives on the coast and have jobs in nursing and IT, please give us some thoughts on living on the coast. We're homebodies and are simply interested in safe cities close enough to shopping, the beach, and Wilmington .

Thanks.
Me and my girlfriend are in the same boat. We already moved though. Being where we wanted to be was what was most important.

I am not in IT, but I would think there is certainly IT work down here (Wilmington). There are several large companies (GE, Corning, etc.) that I'm sure employ large IT teams. Not to mention tons and tons of retail, medical, etc.
I would imagine there is a lot of remote IT work that can be done. I'm a graphic designer but none of my clients are even in this state.

As for the RN position, my girlfriend is in the mental health industry. Yes jobs are competitive, but going into healthcare down here is one of the best options you could have imo.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,041,303 times
Have you considered applying at Cherry Point (Havelock) or Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville). Also Carteret General Hospital (Morehead City) is in the midst of a $50 Million expansion. There could possibly be something for you there.
UNC, Duke and NC State all have facilities in Morehead City plus there is the Carteret Community College and the main offices for the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries and NC Ferry Division there too! Oh, and the NC Port is in Morehead. NC Coast Communications would be another place to look for a job in IT.
God Bless!
Bill

Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,436,192 times
You might also look at Charleston, SC.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,881,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You might also consider the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach area for similar climate and more jobs. Perhaps also the Coast Guard facility in Elizabeth City, NC for an IT network job.
Yes, I was going to suggest the Tidewater, VA area. Much bigger population needing both nurses and IT.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Thanks, I didn't consider VA as I thought it also has a high cost of living...no? My brother-in-law lives in VA and I hear the beaches are nice....

Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM

To goldenage1:

WOW. That's very interesting. Thanks for enlightening me on the employment issue. I thought living outside Raleigh-Durham would guarantee jobs for both of us; what with RTP and UNC there. It's a tough decision to consider moving out of NY while in our mid-50s I considered travel nursing to check out the area, but am chicken as I have excellent benefits at my current position in NYC. New Yorkers pine to leave the state for many reasons. Where to move to is the $64K question. Thanks for your honest advice.

Last edited by CCU RN; 06-20-2014 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: didn't address recipient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina