Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM

29 posts, read 34,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, but have been browsing the past week, or so. I have been looking for info on here for the Manns Harbor area and have not come across much. I am looking for a house and am not looking to spend more than $180k. I have recently been offered a position there and am trying to figure out the best place for my family and I to live. Does anyone have suggestions on towns/cities that may be close by? Safety and good schools are very important, as I will a 7-yr-old attending school. We currently live outside of Raleigh. We are used to having grocery stores, gas stations, etc. very close by. Though we are excited to be moving close to the coast, we are curious what other activities may be available to us. We're a middle age couple and are home bodies but we love the beach.

Any and all suggestions and info would be much appreciated.
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM

29 posts, read 40,045 times
I would look across the bridge on Roanoke Island. Manteo has a lot of the conveniences you mentioned and has decently priced homes in nice neighborhoods. You won't be on the water for $180k but you will only be a stones throw away. If I were you I would plan a weekend trip and check it out. Moving to that island has always sounded like a exciting thing to do. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,189 times
I would recommend Manteo as well...and the prices in the village are not that bad...if you buy a fixer upper you can actually get some deals. There is actually not bad shopping in that area because the outlets are right across the bridge in Nags Head.

Manteo schools are considered good as well...and have a real community feel to them. Manteo is really a year round place that gets really busy in the summer season.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
The reason you haven't heard about Mann's Harbor is that it only has 821 people. It has a gas station with some shopping. The real grocery store is in Manteo. I second the suggestion to look at Manteo if you need conveniences nearby.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Thanks for your responses! Since Manteo seemed to be the place that was recommended, we have been doing lots of research and even had a quick visit. We liked the area a lot and had time to briefly speak with a realtor. Since our meeting was brief, we were not able to discuss all of our questions. Can anyone here suggest an area in Manteo that is established, without having to worry about weekly renters in all surrounding houses? In your opinion, are outsiders accepted, because it is such a small area? Lastly, while meeting people at my new job in Manns Harbor, they discussed wildlife around the area (ex. alligators and bears.) Have you experienced any trouble with wildlife, or is it restricted to Manns Harbor and not so much the Manteo area?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 PM

I have only looked at Manteo on Google Earth. It seems that the area north and east of the airport is a normal neighborhood, not a tourist area. It would look at the houses and townhouses in your price range rather than the condos.

Regarding bears and alligators, they are all over coastal North Carolina, but they don't usually bother people. The alligators are attracted to place where people are throwing fish scraps in the water. Bears are also attracted to people's garbage, and perhaps they get hungrier in the off-season.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 PM

264 posts, read 909,662 times
Your concern about being an outsider in Manteo is valid. Takes a while. You have to be involved. No worries about alligators and such.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM

As fate would have it, my new employer has asked that I start my new job sooner than I had anticipated. Do any of you have ideas on the most economical way (cheapest route possible) for me to move out that way, while my family finishes up loose ends? It will probably be a few months, before everyone is ready to head out. I am thinking of renting a room, etc. I am curious if there are other thoughts out there. One more question! Are there neighborhoods with more kids, etc. that would be a good idea for us to focus on? Thank you so much, everyone.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqznby View Post
As fate would have it, my new employer has asked that I start my new job sooner than I had anticipated. Do any of you have ideas on the most economical way (cheapest route possible) for me to move out that way....
The only place in Manns Harbor is a motel at White's Shopping Center. It looks like cottages behind the gas station from the Google street view. Does your employer have any connection with them? I would think the employer is the best source of help for your housing.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM

After much thought, I had decided against moving out that way. It was just too far off the grid for my family and what we are used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina