Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,269 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I know for sure that I'm going to be moving to North Carolina, but what I don't know as of now is where to. I was looking inthe Greensboro area, and even went as far as almost purchasing a house (the inspection revealed too many problems). Walking away from that house, and having to start all over in my search again, being that I'm on a limited timeline, woke me up to the fact that I don't want to be as far from the water as Greensboro is.
I'm looking into every place that I can get information on, but that isn't so close to the water that it's a place that can be easily affected by natural disasters involving the water. My top prospect as of now is wintervile, but I really would like more options( most of the other towns like winterville lacked diversity, and no diversity is a deal breaker for me.
What I need information on though, in addition to other towns that might suit me( must have for schools as well as diversity and not "dangerously" close to the water, is why when I looked up a map of Craven and Jones county, I can't find detailed info on the following towns:
Elm Grove, Comfort, Oliver's, Wilmar, fort barnwell, askin, jasper, Tuscarora, forest, Thurman, ricerdale, and Croatian. information on any of these places, as far as if they would be good places for me to live are highly appreciated, and thanks for any and all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,165,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjectlives View Post
What I need information on though, in addition to other towns that might suit me( must have for schools as well as diversity and not "dangerously" close to the water, is why when I looked up a map of Craven and Jones county, I can't find detailed info on the following towns:
Elm Grove, Comfort, Oliver's, Wilmar, fort barnwell, askin, jasper, Tuscarora, forest, Thurman, ricerdale, and Croatian. information on any of these places, as far as if they would be good places for me to live are highly appreciated, and thanks for any and all answers.
Most of these places are merely cross-roads in farm country, rather than towns. The residents are mostly people who have lived there for generations. I am not sure how well an outsider would fit in.

One place I would recommend is Richlands in Onslow County. It is growing and has many military families. Because military families come from all over the country, you will find more diversity than in the farm towns. Another place I suggest is Washington, which has become popular with retirees looking for river-front.

Have you ever considered New Bern? It has a charming historic area and many amenities. It also has a racially diverse population.

It would help to know why you are moving. Is this a planned retirement, an expected job, family in the area, etc.?

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-01-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

It would help to know why you are moving. Is this a planned retirement, an expected job, family in the area, etc.?
I've vacationed there, and have stayed with family in Charlotte and it made me really like North Carolina as a whole. Plus I'm getting tired of New York, and thought North Carolina would be a nice place to live.
I have considered New Bern, but it showed that new been had a D in crime, which led me to finding a lot of different crime cases. Do you know if it's true that New Bern has a " high"crime rate, or is it a kind of set up that you can avoid by moving to a certain part?

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:30 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,951 times
New Bern has a very high crime rate in one or two very concentrated areas. I have lived here seven years and I stopped counting at about 15 murders/dead bodies within 1,000 yards of my home. However all were in specific areas.

I would not let the "crime rate" in New Bern influence your decision.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
New Bern has a very high crime rate in one or two very concentrated areas. I have lived here seven years and I stopped counting at about 15 murders/dead bodies within 1,000 yards of my home. However all were in specific areas.

I would not let the "crime rate" in New Bern influence your decision.
Okay, so I'll look into New Bern again as a possibility. Do you know of any places that are a decent drive away to the water? Any thoughts on greensville?

Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,165,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjectlives View Post
Okay, so I'll look into New Bern again as a possibility. Do you know of any places that are a decent drive away to the water? Any thoughts on greensville?
Greenville is about 80 miles from the ocean at Atlantic Beach, or 1 hour and three quarters driving time. It is a decent sized city of 85,000 with a lot of positive qualities. Greenville has some crime problems, but most people can avoid the problem areas.

You had already mentioned Winterville, which is a suburb of Greenville. There have been many questions on living in Greenville in this forum, and there is even a dedicated thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...elopments.html

Another pleasant small town near Greenville is Washington. You can get population statistics for most communities at their main City-data.com profile.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-01-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina