Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times

Advertisements

Consider this about Ogden...

The Military Cutoff extension will provide much better access to I-140. I believe Gordon Rd is supposed to be widened at some point as well.

The City just approved a commercial development in Ogden that is rumored to have a Publix, but that has not been announced yet...should be within a few months.

Porter's Neck suffers from the County's decision to build a huge middle school in Castle Hayne, when it should have been built near Porters Neck. But the new Elementary School in Porters Neck will be a good school...may be 2020. Also in terms of schools near Ogden, Blair is supposed to get replaced within the next 5 years, so if you are in that district, they will be sending the kids to a facility near Laney High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 AM

353 posts, read 605,673 times
Quote:
- a little south of Wilmington Municipal Golf course, there were some houses which were assigned to Holly Tree Elementary and Roland-Grise Middle. Great schools. The houses were very nice, brick houses and a little more on the pricier side. $1600-$1700 for 3 bedroom. Well worth I think compared to Ogden for the type of house, and the neighborhood looks more upscale and safer. Nice grocery stores nearby too. Only drawback was it would take about 30 mins to GE due to traffic in local roads.

One thing to keep in mind about this - when school starts back next week, morning traffic will more than double.
I live off Greenville Loop Rd and sometimes transport pets for a local rescue to the spay/neuter clinic just a bit north of GE, so I've made that drive more than once or twice in the morning hours. If there are no accidents or serious delays, it still may take me an hour to get from my house to there during school months.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the Castle Hayne and Ogden areas.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
One thing to keep in mind about this - when school starts back next week, morning traffic will more than double.
I live off Greenville Loop Rd and sometimes transport pets for a local rescue to the spay/neuter clinic just a bit north of GE, so I've made that drive more than once or twice in the morning hours. If there are no accidents or serious delays, it still may take me an hour to get from my house to there during school months.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the Castle Hayne and Ogden areas.
Well they are correct about the 30 minute drive. I know a number of folks that live in Pine Valley that commute to GE. One thing that is good about PV is it is on the West side of College Rd and has 4 lane roads surrounding it. Those 2 lane roads south of the Muni are frustrating nightmares to me.

My prediction would be that a commute to GE via 421 (Carolina Beach Rd) will be more doable once the I-140 bypass and 74 Causeway projects are done, loosening up the traffic volume on the 3 downtown bridges. But the further east you are, the more reliant you are on College Rd to go north...not a good thing when UNCW is back in session.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Consider this about Ogden...

The Military Cutoff extension will provide much better access to I-140. I believe Gordon Rd is supposed to be widened at some point as well.

The City just approved a commercial development in Ogden that is rumored to have a Publix, but that has not been announced yet...should be within a few months.

Porter's Neck suffers from the County's decision to build a huge middle school in Castle Hayne, when it should have been built near Porters Neck. But the new Elementary School in Porters Neck will be a good school...may be 2020. Also in terms of schools near Ogden, Blair is supposed to get replaced within the next 5 years, so if you are in that district, they will be sending the kids to a facility near Laney High School.

Is the Military Cutoff extension and other new road constructions expected to impact the current traffic around Ogden? My guess is it shouldn't since construction will not be on the existing roads.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,662 times
Default Hampstead 100 %

You'll get to GE just fine from Hampstead in 20 min without a bunch of traffic surprised daily. Been living in wilm 23 years besides a break in Topsail for a couple (surfing). In Wilmington now and it takes an average of 25 min to get to and from work and I'm 9 miles. Took 22 from Topsail at 17ish miles...traffic can get really nutty with the mix of college, tourist and "mature" people all together. And the school's are awesome in Topsail. Waaay better area for your Kids and you can pop in Wilmington for anything you need in about 20 or less min. Avoid Brunswick county if at all possible. ...the bridge is a nightmare and will eat up valuable hours every week that could be spent with your family. Welcome!

Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here_i_am View Post
You'll get to GE just fine from Hampstead in 20 min without a bunch of traffic surprised daily. Been living in wilm 23 years besides a break in Topsail for a couple (surfing). In Wilmington now and it takes an average of 25 min to get to and from work and I'm 9 miles. Took 22 from Topsail at 17ish miles...traffic can get really nutty with the mix of college, tourist and "mature" people all together. And the school's are awesome in Topsail. Waaay better area for your Kids and you can pop in Wilmington for anything you need in about 20 or less min. Avoid Brunswick county if at all possible. ...the bridge is a nightmare and will eat up valuable hours every week that could be spent with your family. Welcome!
Thank you for the suggestion. I do like Hampstead for the reasons you mentioned. And I see the main grocery shop there is Food Lion, which is not too small. So my next question is would it be better to rent or buy a house there? It is hard to say beyond 5 or 10 years if I will still be there, so would I find it difficult to sell a house if I bought one there?

Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globtrot View Post
So my next question is would it be better to rent or buy a house there? It is hard to say beyond 5 or 10 years if I will still be there, so would I find it difficult to sell a house if I bought one there?
Generally speaking the area is growing. There are retirees, folks from the north and military people looking to move in all the time. If you buy in a good neighborhood, don't spend too much and maintain the place well, I think it should not be hard to sell in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina