Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcef View Post
Hello
My family and I are starting to research places for possible retirement in NC. Not necessary looking for a large city. Our activities varies somewhat. We are into summer & winter sports. Looking for a place that maybe 1.5 hours driving to the beach, about the same maybe a bit longer to the mountains. We recently visited Asheville NC love it, bit of a drive to the beaches. There is 1 in-law who will need an elder care community. We are planning our search early not wanting to wait until the very end. Noting large, something that is manageable, with access ability to summer,winter activities.
Much Thanks in advance.

Lake Norman, beautiful, near Charlotte. 2 hrs. to Hendersonville from CLT.

Also, Lake James, near Morganton.

Smith Mountain Lake, just over the NC border in southern VA. Beautiful and not far from mtns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Lake Norman, beautiful, near Charlotte. 2 hrs. to Hendersonville from CLT.

Also, Lake James, near Morganton.

Smith Mountain Lake, just over the NC border in southern VA. Beautiful and not far from mtns.
Charlotte: 4 hours to the beach.

Lake James: 5 hours to the beach.

Smith Mt. Lake: 4.5 hours to the beach.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Well there is NO way to get mountains and the beach in the same package; and there is obviously no way to get to the mountains in 1.5 hrs. from the coast.

It is at least a 7.5 hr. drive to Wilmington from Asheville/Hendersonville areas, and another hour if folks want to go to the Outer Banks. I'm sure the OP can figure out time and distances on MapQuest.

From Hendersonville we can be in Charleston SC @ Isle of Palms e.g., in an easy 4 hrs., and it's a nice pleasant drive.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Flat Rock was settled by Charleston residents to avoid the Summer heat.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Flat Rock was settled by Charleston residents to avoid the Summer heat.
I thought it was Summerville SC?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM

439 posts, read 425,015 times
We are in a similar situation as the original poster. Thought about NC, but now are exploring VA (not northern) for retirement. Does anyone know the retirement benefits on NC vs VA. I think taxes might be more appealing in NC, but convenience might be better near Richmond - Hampton Roads area.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
We are in a similar situation as the original poster. Thought about NC, but now are exploring VA (not northern) for retirement. Does anyone know the retirement benefits on NC vs VA. I think taxes might be more appealing in NC, but convenience might be better near Richmond - Hampton Roads area.
What do you mean by "retirement benefits"? What might be more convenient in Richmond/Hampton Roads versus NC?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:55 PM

439 posts, read 425,015 times
Sorry. We are in the process of decision making and one factor is taxes on retirement income. We didn't know if VA or NC offers better incentives in that regard. Just beginning this journey so lots of questions.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Sorry. We are in the process of decision making and one factor is taxes on retirement income. We didn't know if VA or NC offers better incentives in that regard.
If your tax picture is complicated, I think you ought to purchase one of the books comparing the retirement taxes in the different state. It makes a difference if you have a federal pension versus private 401K income, whether you have capital gains, etc.

Although Social Security is not taxed, North Carolina is not particularly friendly to retirees. Our retirement pension income is taxed at the same flat rate as everyone else's income. However, we live primarily on our Social Security, and only paid $11 in state income tax last year.

I can't keep up with the taxes in Virginia either, but my gut feeling is that income tax is worse in Virginia than in North Carolina. Property taxes vary widely, but the Tidewater area was generally quite high on property taxes (almost as bad as Maryland).

Old 11-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Virginia has a partial exemption of pension income for state income taxes. As noted above, NC treats pensions as regular income. Neither taxes social security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina