Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:07 AM

261 posts, read 307,278 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about the process of buying an empty lot in Topsail Beach (on the sound) and having to have the lot cleared and graded? Looking to get an idea on approximate cost to clear and grade a soundfront lot that has some decent elevation to it, about 25' above water level, about 1/2 acre.

Also, the lot as an area within it designated as "wetlands". It's a very small section but what are the implications of buying, clearing/grading, building and living on a lot with "wetlands".

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 PM

13,370 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Also, the lot as an area within it designated as "wetlands". It's a very small section but what are the implications of buying, clearing/grading, building and living on a lot with "wetlands".
I can't answer your main question, and suggest consulting a contractor. However, without seeing the lot, I would guess the impact of having wetlands is minimal. Many lots on the mainland have wetlands. As long as you can locate the footprint of the house far enough away, it sounds like your lot has decent height to be above any flooding.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:38 PM

goldenage1, thanks for the reply! there does indeed appear to be more than enough room for a house footprint and driveway, I'm not certain how far away from the area it would be though. From what I gather, this wetlands is really never wet so there must be some plants or something located there that they derive the classification from. It's good to know there are other places on mainland with wetlands. The overall height of the lot would pretty well keep it out of harms way in all but the most catastrophic of events.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The overall height of the lot would pretty well keep it out of harms way in all but the most catastrophic of events.
I think I know where you mean: there is an unusually high hilly area on the sound side. Good luck with getting an estimate for clearing.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Is it difficult to get estimates? Or for that matter getting the actual work done?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Is it difficult to get estimates? Or for that matter getting the actual work done?
I don't know about lot clearing, but we routinely have issue with contactors who don't show up or don't return calls. There certainly are good contractors, but most of them would rather do large jobs for developers versus a one-of-a-kind job for a homeowner.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM

I think that's pretty common everywhere and I expect it to be a bit more on the "slack" side down that way compared to here in the Triangle area. We'll see how it goes if we get that far. Heading back out this weekend to walk the lot with the realtor and a builder to get some questions answered, start trying to assess approximate costs of site work, septic, water and anything else we can in order to make a decision.

I appreciate the input very much!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think that's pretty common everywhere and I expect it to be a bit more on the "slack" side down that way compared to here in the Triangle area.
Life is more relaxed at the beach, and that includes contractors. There is also a lot of development going on in the mainland areas, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry and Surf City, so there is competing demand for skilled workers.

BTW, we have had about a 10% increase in home-owner insurance over the last 3-4 years. (We are 2.5 miles from the ocean and not in a flood zone.) So, build some escalation estimates into your cost of the ownership the house.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM

The relaxed atmosphere is the draw and factored in for sure. We have been studying the insurance and property tax increases and are working to factor these in as best anyone can. The elevation of the lot is what makes it so attractive. It should help some with insurance however may have additional up front costs. I know elevation isn't going to slash insurance rates, but there's also the piece of mind that the water needs to get that much higher to do its thing.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 AM

261 posts, read 380,371 times
Quote:
The relaxed atmosphere is the draw and factored in for sure. We have been studying the insurance and property tax increases and are working to factor these in as best anyone can. The elevation of the lot is what makes it so attractive. It should help some with insurance however may have additional up front costs. I know elevation isn't going to slash insurance rates, but there's also the piece of mind that the water needs to get that much higher to do its thing.
Just remember its the elevation of the house that will affect your flood insurance rates, not the elevation of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina