Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times

Advertisements

Very nice Stoney, you got the whole program under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
That's it, I am in! Having both Grandparents from the County Mayo and as an AOH member for 20 years the one piece of the puzzle that was missing was that "heritage connection". Lost a bit with the move from NY/NJ to Eastern PA but it looks like it all comes back when I move to St James. As the poster before said it is "heaven on earth".

Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
OK caco.... IF she's in a good mood after a nice dinner.... and IF her digestion is good.... and IF the stars are aligned correctly..... and IF her bottom is positioned correctly on that pub stool at "Slaintes" and therefore allows me that 2nd Guiness...... that one will be in your honor !

They also have tables outside on a patio, equipped with heaters for cooler evenings.... passed by on our last trip and saw some lads and lassies imbibing a bit of the brown gold but we didn't go in..... this time we're goin' in !

Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 AM

So we woke up this morning to another inch or more of wet, gloppy snow covering evrything in sight.... with of the gloppy stuff coming down on top of it. We are so excited, just beside ourselves at the thought of all this snow, and on the 3rd day of Spring too...... we can only hope that the forecast of the same thing tomorrow morning comes true so we can experience it 1st hand on the way to the airport..... New Jersey is truly a winter wonderland. It's supposed to be sunny and low 70's today and tomorrow in Southport.... what to do.... what to do .... go or stay in NJ.... go or stay in NJ ..... mmmmmmm...... still wrestling with the concept.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Stoney, I am sure you will make the right decision in the am as you look out your window and see the slush, cold, and fog. My money is on you making the "Garden State Boogie" exodus!!!

Words of wisdom from Bill!!

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

HOME AGAIN -- BOTH OF US (ALMOST)

Yeah, we're here -- sort of. I arrived home yesterday after 12 days in Ann Arbor, MI. Judith will be home tomorrow after 32 days in Orlando, FL. Her mom is back in the nursing home -- she beat the double pneumonia and is back where she was a month ago. Judith spent almost every day caring for her Mom. O. K. we are back home again and will be here for two weeks and then off to DC for a 6 day visit. So what's going on in St. James? Haven't had a chance to find out much in the last 24 hours but I would like to mention a few things I have heard.

BLOOD AND A LADDER

Neighbors of the Mills on Members Club Blvd. report they witnessed Sue Mills at the top of a ladder cutting down branches last week. This is impressive. And where was Mr. Jack Mills while his wife was diligently disposing of dead branches? Most of you would say he was probably playing golf or sitting at the bar having a beer with his buddies. Uh,Uh. He was holding the ladder for Sue. This is what I call a devoted and caring husband. He just didn't leave her to do her chores, he pitched in and helped her -- Jack is my hero of the week. This should be a lesson to the rest of you guys. Don't leave "the wife" alone doing the yard work. Spend some time supervising her -- show her some love.
What about the blood? Tricked you didn't I? Sue Mills is heading up the St. James Blood Drive and we still need 50 more donors. Did you know that only 3 out of 100 people donate blood? We do much better than that at St. James. The blood drive will be in the Members ballroom this Monday, March 28th from 9:00 A. M. till 2:30 P. M. Call Sue and set up an appointment -- 253-8015. Walk-ins are welcome(but you might have to wait); it is so much better to have an appointment -- pickup the phone and call Sue -- 253-8015.

JIMBO AND RUTH

The Smiths. Aren't you just sick of these two? Everybody loves them -- "Oh yeah, Jimbo is a great guy" or "Ruth is one of the nicest people in St. James." Enough already. You know, I'm kind of tired of folks telling me how much they love the Smiths.
O.K. -- the Smiths make medical mission trips to the Dominican Republic where Jimbo serves as a General Surgeon and Ruth works in the operating room. So far they have made 12 trips to the island at their own expense. But they need money for medical equipment and Wayne Moody is running a golf tournament on May 4th to raise funds for the Smith's cause. BUT, on Monday, April 4 at 7:00 P. M. at Members Club you are invited to visit with Jimbo and Ruth and learn about what they do on their missions. If you want to spend some time with the Smiths on 4/4 please call 253-9254 and make a reservation. No charge of course. At this get together, Jimbo will do some exciting things like show you pictures of medical equipment and pictures of some of the folks he works with -- the lights are low so you can snooze. Actually it is an informative and entertaining evening and you can schmooze with two of the nicest folks in St. James. Hate to admit it, but it is true. See you on the 4th. Can't believe I just used the word snooze in one sentence and the word schmooze in the next. It's O.K. because old people love to schmooze and snooze. Aren't words great?

POTPOURRI

Phone Nazis -- you know who they are, we've all experienced them. You're in some kind of a waiting room and some dude or dudedess is on a cell phone and is talking so loudly that everyone in the waiting room can hear them -- like you are supposed to be interested in what they are saying. Last week, in Michigan, I was in a waiting room at a dealership waiting for a car to be serviced. There were seven of us in the waiting room, and sure enough, we had our phone Nazi. Instant hatred. This 65 year old diminutive twerp was talking so loudly that the six of us couldn't even think, much less read a paper. He had to be talking to his squeeze because he kept using the word "pumpkin" when addressing his phone mate, I wanted to throw up -- there is something about a 65 year old loser talking to his "pumpkin". Sizing this guy up, I was sure that the individual with whom he was speaking actually did look like a pumpkin. I had the greatest urge to go over to this Nazi, grab his phone and say into the mouth piece, "Listen, Pumpkin, this is the cell phone police and I regret to tell you that your call is complete -- go make a pie out of yourself." After saying this, I would just take the phone and drop it in the hot coffee pot in the waiting area. Justice.

Sign in a store in Douglas MI. Obviously, the owner of this store had had his fill of unsupervised children. The sign read, "Unattended Children will be given an Espresso and a Free Puppy." Love it.

Weather -- what a great time of the year, the flowers are bursting and the temperature is perfect. We even had a 66 degree day in Ann Arbor last week. BUT, this week the highs in Ann Arbor will be in the low 30's and this lows will be in the teens. Oy! It's great to be in St. James.

Talk to you all next week.

Bill McCormack

Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM

Sooooo ....... here we are waiting for the airport limo ...... hoping he can make it through all the icey rain, snow and generally bad weather and driving conditions ( of "NJ" I might add ) and then get up our driveway which has about an inch of icey, slushy "stuff" on it. If he doesn't get a hernia lifting all that shoe-laden luggage into his van ..... then we have to navigate down treacherous Rt 22 to Newark Airport and HOPE that the reports of no delays are accurate and we can actually get off the ground anywhere near on time as we do not want to be late for that romantical-type dinner we have planned for this evening at the Live Oak Cafe in Southport. What is keeping me going and upbeat this early AM is the forecast of sunny 73 degree weather when we land in Wilmington ...... will report back this evening on our progress...... peace.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM

71 posts, read 312,426 times
Stoney - Try the Alligater Bites app at Live Oak. Tastes a little like chicken.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 54,639 times
I stumbled on this blog last night while looking for information on the new Seaside Resort pool. I was trying to find out who can use it. There was a question posted on the St. James website but it was not answered so wondering if any of you know if this facility will be for all members, Signature Members or does it require its own membership?

I will also add to a few of the posts that I read and apologize if I am repeating anyone's info. I only read back a couple of months.

After comparing notes with neighbors, it seems that you are much better off going with outside firms. They show you more, are more forthcoming with information and they truly work for you. Remember that the agents in the office work for the developer so it is very difficult to get a true 'buyer's' agent. You will also sign an agency agreement with them that spells out their duties but most people have no idea what that document is. The only downside that neighbors have experienced is that their agents had difficulty getting information from SJP on membership and extra fees, etc. Plantation Properties, however, should be up to date on all of those things since they have agents who live in St. James. We went with SJP even though I knew better (I am in real estate in another state, shoe-maker's kids, you know). They pretty much told us whatever we wanted to hear to get us to purchase. Turns out several of us had the same experience and were told different things that were not true. Bottom line is that they don't know the product that much better than the outside firms. Most important -- READ ALL CONTRACTS - understand all fees and what is included - do not let anyone tell you to leave anything out of the contract - it all comes down to what is in writing!

Another restaurant that we love to visit when we are there is Loco Joes. It is a bar/restaurant and they have great food and the owner and staff are very friendly. They make you feel right at home.

We can't wait to move to St. James on a full-time basis. Our area is very active and very social. When we are there, it seems that there is a party every other day. We have a college-age daughter and she says they can party any college kid under the table!

Oh and, by the way, want to add to the 'Southern Sayings". My dad used to say, 'that belly is so full, you could crack a flea on it', 'tell that to a rubberman and he will bounce himself to death', 'its a fur piece up the road' - and many more but those were my favorites!

I will definitely be visiting this blog more. Really enjoyed reading.

Last edited by hulagirls; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: wanted to add more

Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Hullagirl

Hey Hulla!!! Welcome to the team.
I have heard the same thing about using outside Realtors as the better way to go. My take is every month when the SJP people call me they only want to talk "Lots" and hate to talk Resales!!

There are so many good deals down there on Resales thats the way I think my wife and I will go. Of course I am 3-4 years away but never too soon to plan. After the snow this week in "joisey" maybe i am only 2 years away!!!

Where are you guys living now?

Any negatives about living at St James from your perspective? All I have heard are positives!!

Stay tuned this week, our buddy Stoney does a great job of sharing his whereabouts and findings on his trips.

He's a lucky Lad!! This is his last winter in the Garden State (New Jersey), very lucky Lad!!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Default Update From Stoney

Well. I am in deep depression as my Duke Blue Devils took a whooping from the Arizona WildCats last night but I promised Stoney I would post his travels being he cannot access this site from Wilmington.

Sooo....................

From Stonecreek67:

OK, got out of Newark just fine, easy connection in Charlotte, beautiful, clean airport with nice food places, landed in Wilmington (ILM) another immaculate, very, easy to navigate airport. Had an exactly 35 minute, easy drive from ILM to the St James gate, we actually do not understand when people say St James / Southport is "so remote"...... we drive over 30 minutes just for dinner in NJ all the time, just a thought.

78 degrees this afternoon, just beautiful. Had dinner as planned at the Live Oak Cafe, outside on the screened in porch along with several other tables from NJ. Didn't have the Alligator bites, but shared an excellent Portobello mushroom appetizer stuffed with crabmeat and shrimp, the boss had a spinach salad and duck for dinner, I had a mixed salad with phenominal Gorgonzola dressing and a fork tender ribeye.... could not have had a better dinner in Manhattan. Then went over to "Slainte" as planned, very nice PUB to hang in, sat outside with a great bunch of locals and had a few Guinness draughts as promised, also had that Macanudo while watching the 12' X 12' screen "outside" on the patio and playing outdoor beanbag in the just gorgeous evening air.

The Loco Joe's bar / eatery mentioned earlier is right next to the Live Oak Cafe ( 25 ft away ) and it was fairly jumping as we watched from the porch next door..... also seemed like a nice crowd.

As we cruised through St James for a bit late this afternoon, lots of people playing golf of course and the place looked nicer than last trip, just beautiful if you ask me.

Long day, more tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina