Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM

261 posts, read 307,011 times

Advertisements

I am only working with a builder so far, not sure who he uses. I'll take any recommendations you have though, can't hurt! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Ok, it's a fairly complicated process... especially knowing exactly what work actually has to be done and then after the actual work is done he also inspects and then deals with the insurance association that "grants" the certificate / status..... the person I used twice with great success and had many recommendations behind him is Dennis 919-210-0100.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:51 AM

261 posts, read 307,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Ok, it's a fairly complicated process... especially knowing exactly what work actually has to be done and then after the actual work is done he also inspects and then deals with the insurance association that "grants" the certificate / status..... the person I used twice with great success and had many recommendations behind him is Dennis 919-210-0100.
Great! Thanks for the contact info!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 AM

140 posts, read 316,982 times
I'm curious about this Gold Standard what are the prerequisites? I have an elevated (piling) home with raised utilities and Miami/Dade county approved aluminum shutters on all windows and doors. Does this qualify for such a standard?

Ron W.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM

It is quite a list of building requirements.... they are all part of the structure from the start.... you can get a list from Dennis, but it IS quite a list of construction requirements from the beginning of construction.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 9,441 times
Question Impact resistant front and side doors...?

Quote:
Assuming it is just a spelling error and you meant "Viwinco"..... I just built two homes in St James Plantation with 100% Viwinco impact glass windows AND doors..... you are correct, they are the most cost effective custom impact glass windows that I could find, very happy with the product, delivery, service and after market service by the company.
According to their website (OceanView Styles and Features | Viwinco Windows ), Viwinco sells impact resistant windows and impact resistant patio doors. Do you know anyone who sells impact resistant front and side doors? (Assuming there are such things... ) Preferably someone reputable.

Thanks. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Yes, EVERY piece of exterior glass window or door in my house is high impact glass including the garage door windows..... you can get ANY type/style of high impact glass doors and/or windows....

I used Beach Window and Doors in Calabash.... Home | Beach Window and Door.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 9,441 times
Quote:
Yes, EVERY piece of exterior glass window or door in my house is high impact glass including the garage door windows..... you can get ANY type/style of high impact glass doors and/or windows....

I used Beach Window and Doors in Calabash.... Home | Beach Window and Door.
Thank you. That was very helpful.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:04 PM

141 posts, read 288,334 times
Impact windows are ok as long as they don't get hit because when they break you are stuck with the expense, mess and inconvenience of getting them replaced. I did a boat-load of research before I settled on my shutters.

Here in Florida pvc framed impact windows have a shorter lifespan than do aluminum ones. I also saw a few independent studies that showed the energy savings on a normal sized window was only about $12.00 per year for pvc over aluminum. The money saved over 25 years was only 300 per window. If I have to buy new windows after 25 years, I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than $300. The longer lasting aluminum frames are well worth the energy loss math.

I'll stick with good quality windows and clear, flat polycarbonate shutters so I don't have to worry about window breakage and replacement. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina