Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 AM

261 posts, read 307,220 times

Advertisements

Looking for owner reviews/suggestions of Impact Windows (hurricane windows) for a new construction project at the coast.

Anyone who's had a home built with impact windows or replaced existing ones with impact can you share the brand and your experience and costs?

Viwinco Ocean View seems to be the most widespread brand I have seen, anyone have experience with these?

Last edited by stopgo; 05-10-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,454 times
Assuming it is just a spelling error and you meant "Viwinco"..... I just built two homes in St James Plantation with 100% Viwinco impact glass windows AND doors..... you are correct, they are the most cost effective custom impact glass windows that I could find, very happy with the product, delivery, service and after market service by the company.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Assuming it is just a spelling error and you meant "Viwinco"..... I just built two homes in St James Plantation with 100% Viwinco impact glass windows AND doors..... you are correct, they are the most cost effective custom impact glass windows that I could find, very happy with the product, delivery, service and after market service by the company.
Yep, spelling error!

Glad to hear that you're satisfied with them. I certainly don't mind using the recommended product, but always like to do a little leg work to ensure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by doing so. Cost effective is great, the question always comes to mind though, what is the long term effectiveness of the product and would I be best off investing a marginal amount more now to save long term down the road on energy bills, replacement etc...

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Some of the best money you can spend... the reason mortgage companies require wind and hail insurance is for the "chance" of a projectile smashing a window in a hurricane is that when that window breaks, besides hundreds of gallons of water pouring in and ruining "everything" in the house, the house becomes depressurized and that creates "lift" when that 160 MPH wind moves across your roof and that is when the roof is liable to come off.... simple physics..... no broken windows... roof stays on.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 AM

We are actually going to go for a "fortified" structure with all the inspections and certifications associated with it. Two reasons: 1)Peace of mind 2)Insurance costs. The building site is already in the "X" Flood Zone which I'm told all but eliminates flood insurance which is a huge plus.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 AM

The last 2 homes I built were "Gold" fortified structures... qualified for the 20% discount on wind and hail.... a rare and complicated process but worth it if you ask me.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The last 2 homes I built were "Gold" fortified structures... qualified for the 20% discount on wind and hail.... a rare and complicated process but worth it if you ask me.
Yes! That's the certification we will be going for "Gold". As you say, more complex and rare but IMO should be worth the trouble and extra cost if it protects the house better from storm damage in the long run!

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Well, here is the long and short of having a Gold fortified structure, besides the discount.... when you have to evacuate for the category 4 / 5 and come back after a few days.... your neighbor had a brick go thru his window and thousands of gallons of water ( or the roof partially off ) followed and when you both drive up to the houses he will be sitting on his stoop waiting for the insurance adjuster and trying to find a place to live for a few months "minimum"... and you and your wife go in your house and make dinner..... THAT is the difference....I recall something about an ounce of prevention.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well, here is the long and short of having a Gold fortified structure, besides the discount.... when you have to evacuate for the category 4 / 5 and come back after a few days.... your neighbor had a brick go thru his window and thousands of gallons of water ( or the roof partially off ) followed and when you both drive up to the houses he will be sitting on his stoop waiting for the insurance adjuster and trying to find a place to live for a few months "minimum"... and you and your wife go in your house and make dinner..... THAT is the difference....I recall something about an ounce of prevention.
That sounds like the scenario I'd like! Hate it for the neighbor though, maybe we'll feed him dinner, lol!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Do you need / have the name / number of a good "fortified" guy ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina