Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:55 AM

17 posts, read 25,632 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are from the "shore" in NJ and moved to Texas. We love it here but miss that ocean breeze. So we are thinking of moving to NC in the very near future. We hear you can be close to the ocean and not to far from the mountains at the same time. All for a good price. Here are a list of things we are looking for, maybe someone can help?

1- We are 30 so looking for not to much of a dead town, we like the small town feel with small town bars as well ( just making sure their are more than 2 places to eat in town lol)

2- Houses on or VERY close to the Ocean for under 200k if poss?

3- Very little crime!

4- Walking distance to stores

5- Nice beaches

6- Beach bars/vibes

We are visiting in Sept and want to go to a place we may move to. We are thinking Wilmington, We like southport but hear its a bit slower than what we want,but not set on anything would love some advice on the Wilmington area and others that would fit what we are looking for.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey2286 View Post
1- We are 30 so looking for not to much of a dead town, we like the small town feel with small town bars as well ( just making sure their are more than 2 places to eat in town lol)

2- Houses on or VERY close to the Ocean for under 200k if poss?

3- Very little crime!

4- Walking distance to stores

5- Nice beaches

6- Beach bars/vibes

Your wish list is nearly impossible for your budget. However, you might look at townhouses off Eastwood Road. They are on the way to Wrightsville Beach.

Other options include Surf City and Topsail Beach where you would have settle for a condo. There are limited stores in walking distance. I live in a very safe area, Sneads Ferry, 2.5 miles to the ocean where you can easily find a SFH for under $200K. However, nothing is walkable from those houses. People like sprawl around here: "it's called room to breathe".

You might also look into Shallotte, Swansboro, Beaufort or Morehead City, but you are also unlikely to find a livable house in walking distance to stores.

You did not say anything about jobs, and that may drive your decision. You will also have to make some compromises.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 AM

I am willing to go up to 300k at most for home but rather live under my means.

I do not need a job at this point. I run an online business.

If there isnt anything walking distance to a house we would rather have beach area with cool little bars, restaurants and then downtown areas

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
I am willing to go up to 300k at most for home but rather live under my means.

I do not need a job at this point. I run an online business.

If there isnt anything walking distance to a house we would rather have beach area with cool little bars, restaurants and then downtown areas
That's a far more realistic price range. I'd still recommend the area near Wrightsville Beach, Beaufort or Morehead City, and maybe Carolina Beach.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Jut wondering why you would recommend that rather than Wilimgton?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,655 times
one reason might be wilmington isn't at the beach

Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 AM

I thought there was a beach right by there? Maybe not in Wilimgton, but arent the other place you are saying may be good a few hours away from Wilmington area?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I thought there was a beach right by there? Maybe not in Wilimgton, but arent the other place you are saying may be good a few hours away from Wilmington area?
wilmington is about 20 minutes from the beach on the end of the river and waterway

Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 AM

anyway i like wilmington it's not small morehead city and new bern are all good recs just decide if you want more or less developed

Old 06-07-2016, 01:25 PM

What are the big differences between Wilmington vs morehead vs new bern vs wrightsville beach

Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina