Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 94,254 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Porter's Neck area and just found out that the garbage pick up companies don't recycle???? I'm shocked. I've never lived any where that the city/town didn't pick up your trash AND recycle. They don't do either. Any discussion of possibly changing or why they don't?? I'm going to continue to recycle- anyone know where I would take it?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 214,762 times
I dont know of any place around Wilmington that recycles. Its a shame.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM

116 posts, read 533,760 times
For folks in the city limits:
Recycling

Drop off locations for New Hanover County residents:
Drop Off Sites For New Hanover County (http://www.nhcgov.com/AgnAndDpt/ENVM/Pages/DropOffSitesForNewHanoverCounty.aspx - broken link)

Some background on the recycling issue and why the county doesn't offer pick up service:
New Hanover County recycling not easy for some | WWAY NewsChannel 3

Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 AM

217 posts, read 1,119,414 times
Default Green Coast Recycling

I live in Ogden and noticed the same thing. When I lived in the City limits, they did pick up recycling. I was walking in my neighborhood one day and saw a truck going to pick up some recycling. I asked the guys about it and they gave me their card (which I cannot find right now...I'll keep looking). I tried to google them but I don't think they have a website and I don't have a phone number unless I can find that card again. But...for $9.50/month, Green Coast Recycling will pick up bottles, paper and aluminum cans from your curbside on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. They will also provide the container and take care of sorting. A portion of their proceeds goes to the Surfrider Foundation. Sounds like a great service. Hopefully someone else will respond with the contact info.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,489,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmad View Post
I've never lived any where that the city/town didn't pick up your trash AND recycle. They don't do either.
This is because Porters Neck is not in a city or a town. You get county services; and the people who live in the county don't want to pay for services like curbside recycling.

Last edited by anonymous; 02-21-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM

I hardly think requiring people to recycle and having it part of your trash pick up cost is a fancy, sophisticated service but more of being responsible. It's really unbelieavable that it's not required.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I hardly think requiring people to recycle and having it part of your trash pick up cost is a fancy, sophisticated service but more of being responsible. It's really unbelieavable that it's not required.
I don't understand. If you want recycling, then it doesn't make sense to move into an unincorporated part of the county. The people who live outside the city limits usually do so for a reason; they don't want to pay city taxes, for city services. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

I didn't know that recycling wasn't required in Wilmington (or every where) as I am not from there. I'm not going to change my move based on recycling. Obviously, I will just take care of it myself. I just find it shocking and wanted to know more about it.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that recycling wasn't required in Wilmington (or every where) as I am not from there.
Well, it isn't required in Wilmington, but it is offered. However, Porters Neck isn't in Wilmington.

Quote:
I'm not going to change my move based on recycling. Obviously, I will just take care of it myself. I just find it shocking and wanted to know more about it.
Yeah, I understand. The whole "County vs. City Taxation" is a hot political issue in this area, and recycling is closely related to taxation. I'm not from here either, but I've found that the people who live in the unincorporated county are very adamant about the fact that they chose to live outside the city limits, and if they'd wanted city services, they would've moved there to begin with.. you get the idea. It is all very political, and related to annexation.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,569 times
Default Green Coast Recycling to the rescue!

You can contact Green Coast Recycling at (910) 471-7747. Green Coast is run by my brother, Cliff, and his friend, James. They do a great job and service customers whose homes are located outside the city limits (as well as well bars and restaurants). Ogden, Porter's Neck, Wrightsville. You'll see their trucks all over town! They do a lot of service work as well, and a portion of their proceeds go to the Surf Rider Foundation. They're affordable, responsible, and dedicated. Give them a call at (910) 471-7747.

Quote:
I'm moving to the Porter's Neck area and just found out that the garbage pick up companies don't recycle???? I'm shocked. I've never lived any where that the city/town didn't pick up your trash AND recycle. They don't do either. Any discussion of possibly changing or why they don't?? I'm going to continue to recycle- anyone know where I would take it?

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina