Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:30 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on Havelock High School? Does it have an arts program? How many students? Drug problem better or worse then other schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 103,749 times
I lived in down town New Bern for about 8 months. I'm a youngin', and I loved it for the most part. Plenty of good restaurants, a stellar down town area that is in a class of its own (and only getting better by the building). They are building a lot of condos, but honestly, they're attractive and add to the character of the city. Keep in mind, I am referring mostly to down town New Bern here.

You can go to the Sheraton deck party on Friday nights I believe - there's dancing and drinks and what not. Lots of people to socialize with. At the same place, every now and then they play live jazz music on Sunday afternoons. The jazz is great.

Homes are for sale like crazy in New Bern - why? Well, you know! There's a very decent library within walking distance of the downtown area with computers, and you guessed it...books! A well kept gas station... grocery stores and wal-mart are within 4 miles. At peak traffic it never takes more than 15 mins to get pretty much anywhere in the city.

Lot's of cool shops. Dancing classes, art classes, art gallerys, hand made decoritive items, not to mention the coolest church you'll ever see that also plays beautiful bells at certain times of the day. Pretty cool to hear on a cool quiet evening on the porch.

There's the tryon palace, which has amazing flower gardens - some of which are free of admission charge. The tryon palace also puts on some of the coolest events you'll ever see - such as last years July 4th, staged at tryon palace with a live renowned orchestra performance. That was cool to say the least. Not to mention the characters and what not of the 1700's.

There's a great hardware store on Middle St (?) called Mitchells that carries everything you may need for a minor repair. If not, Lowes is up the road next to Wal-Mart.

Ice cream shops, Cafes, Union Point Water Park, the list just goes on for New Bern. All within walking distance. Also, it's on the water...that just gives it an extra little edge I think.

Also, a new private school was just built by the best selling author [SIZE=3]Nicholas Sparks for exceptional children, and it's called Epiphany ( [/SIZE]http://www.epiphany-nb.org/ ) It also has an emphasis on religious values.

Don't know much about the other surrounding schools, however they can't be too bad.

I'm leaving out a lot about New Bern obviously, but I have yet to find a city that has the same vibe New Bern has going on. Very proud city and residents for the most part.

Now, I didn't read all of this thread before positing this, but I did read that you were hearing bad things about New Bern. Probably, you are hearing about the lower class parts of town where there is more crime and what not. Never had a problem with any crime personally, nor has a good friend of mine who lives right on the edge of one of these neighborhoods. Each part of the city tends to keep to themselves.

Well, opinions are like....brains Everyone has one...so there's mine. Hope I helped, PM me for any questions you might have.

Last edited by gjs4786; 06-19-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,868 times
Default gjs4786- What a refreshing review of New Bern.....

My wife and I are considering retirement to the NB area, and it was good you read your positive comments.

I sort of fell in liove with the area when I was stationed at Cherry Point in the early 70's. We have visited the area a few times since; latest visit was in 2006.

From what we've seen, and read here, the NB area in a really nice area.

Thank you,.....marc

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 25,522 times
Also curious where the "lower class" parts of town, such as streets or neighborhoods would be? Considering a move to either NB or Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina