Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM

16 posts, read 45,070 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Southport. We have a couple of questions.

Approximately how much does flood insurance cost?
Approximately how much does hurricane insurance cost?
Is their good medical facilities close?
How scary are the hurricanes and are new homes built to withstand them?

We have our trip planned for April and trying to get all info together, any tips or things to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Southport. We have a couple of questions.

It depends. Figure about $500 per year for $250,000 structure coverage and $100,000 contents coverage.

Technically, there is no such thing as "hurricane insurance". The cost of a homeowner's policy with wind and wind-blown water coverage will vary a great deal in cost. Mine is about $3,000 in Southport, I think.

Yes. Novant Brunswick Medical Center is very good, about 15 miles from Southport and 10 or so from SJP. Dosher Medical center is in Southport proper, but is a small independent hospital that don't particularly trust for anything major. Novant is building a new doctor's office/lab building very close to SJP and Dosher recently opened a wellness center inside SJP.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/01/prweb13153334.htm

Again, it depends. Hurricane Mathew wasn't a big deal at all here. Other hurricanes in the past have been pretty destructive. The good news is that hurricanes give lots of warning so you have plenty of time to leave.

Both new and old homes are built to withstand them. My house is almost 130 years old, so its made it through many destructive storms.

We have our trip planned for April and trying to get all info together, any tips or things to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Don't limit yourself to SJP, or any other "plantation". Southport itself is a beautiful, charming and safe community.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

It depends. Figure about $500 per year for $250,000 structure coverage and $100,000 contents coverage.

Technically, there is no such thing as "hurricane insurance". The cost of a homeowner's policy with wind and wind-blown water coverage will vary a great deal in cost. Mine is about $3,000 in Southport, I think.

Yes. Novant Brunswick Medical Center is very good, about 15 miles from Southport and 10 or so from SJP. Dosher Medical center is in Southport proper, but is a small independent hospital that don't particularly trust for anything major. Novant is building a new doctor's office/lab building very close to SJP and Dosher recently opened a wellness center inside SJP.

Dosher Wellness Center Breaks Ground Near St. James Plantation

Again, it depends. Hurricane Mathew wasn't a big deal at all here. Other hurricanes in the past have been pretty destructive. The good news is that hurricanes give lots of warning so you have plenty of time to leave.

Both new and old homes are built to withstand them. My house is almost 130 years old, so its made it through many destructive storms.

Don't limit yourself to SJP, or any other "plantation". Southport itself is a beautiful, charming and safe community.
So I can tell you the cost quoted above for flood insurance is spot on if you're in Flood Zone X which is the 500 year flood plain. The coverage levels and premiums match what we were quoted. Obviously if you purchase a home more susceptible to flooding, rates will be higher.

Regarding homeowners coverage, the cost of the wind and storm component is rather expensive relative to being in an area not prone to hurricanes. Roughly speaking we were quoted a premium for our homeowners that was about $2000 per year for a structure valued around $300K. The kicker, however, is that the deductible for wind/storm damage associated with a named storm is 2% of the coverage amount, so that equates to about $6000. So, one could potentially be out of pocket a significant sum. I am not certain if all policies are written under those same/similar terms....someone here is likely knowledgeable about that and should be able that address that.

Southport is a charming/quaint town. St James is a very nice community. I am sure that depending upon what you are seeking and want to pay, you could find a very satisfactory place to live in either place. There are also some nice communities closer to Wilmington that you may want to consider that have the advantage of being closer to a larger metropolitan area.

Best of luck!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Here's my advice.

Make a list of the things that are important to your everyday life. For us, that includes things like multiple big grocery stores, multiple movie theaters, multiple ethnic restaurants, a clean pool hall with good afternoon theaters, a choice of reasonably priced beauty salons, a library, movie theater that shows indie films, a Hispanic grocery, an Asian grocery.

Decide how far you are willing to drive to get these things on a regular basis. For us, this varied between 15 and 30 minutes.

Which explains why we moved to Raleigh instead of SJP.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM

213 posts, read 211,762 times
We are between Southport and Cary. I want to be near grocery etc but the traffic in Wake County can be bad, even thought about Wilmington but everyone said no traffic is horrible.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:35 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...st-before.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...c-looking.html

"Scary" is relative. Some people scare more easily than others. Best advice ... any storm larger than Cat 3 ... leave.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
We are thinking of purchasing a lot in and building a home in St. James Plantation. I would be interested in finding out
if anyone has suggestions for good/honest builders in the area who would be somewhat flexible and open to fairly careful monitoring by the buyers.

Also, how can I get a copy of a thorough NC sanctioned builder's contract that I can start reading to prepare for?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM

52 posts, read 79,074 times
In 2 weeks our Logan Home will be complete. The process with Logan Homes has been perfection from start to finish and I highly recommend them. Until recently we were doing this from afar, but their guidance and communication has been top notch. They have no problem with your careful monitoring as I am there every day for the past month. Please message me if you need any other info. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomelisa View Post
We are thinking of purchasing a lot in and building a home in St. James Plantation. I would be interested in finding out
if anyone has suggestions for good/honest builders in the area who would be somewhat flexible and open to fairly careful monitoring by the buyers.
Lots of existing threads you can search for and read on the topic, such as:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ck-county.html

Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 10,763 times
Default Do Due Diligence before retaining Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomelisa View Post

Also, how can I get a copy of a thorough NC sanctioned builder's contract that I can start reading to prepare for?

Make sure you are fully informed of Logan's methodology: they charge you for many, many, individual items which added together can easily make building with them more expensive than a more traditional builder. I have found them less than customer-oriented after our home was completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina