Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,268 times

Advertisements

Hello: We might move to Greenville from Miami; we've got a bi-racial seven year old. Miami is pretty diverse, and our family composition isn't even noticeable here. But I'm apprehensive about moving to NC, not knowing what the social environment and attitudes might be; can any of you give me an idea? Don't be shy, I know it's a touchy thing to ask about, but it's important for us to know before moving if we'll have any difficulties fitting in on that level. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,874,694 times
I am not too familiar with greenville. certain areas of NC are certainly traditional southern places if you know what I mean. greenville might be more open though. it is a large college town and probably very diverse.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 PM

22 posts, read 141,262 times
Hi- I went to college in Greenville - and honestly there its not that big of an issue. Some of the older adults there might give you stares, but honestly by now I think they have pretty much seen it all there with the college kids. So they are used to pretty much everything. Its a pretty nice area - but its more of a college town than anything!!! But as far as bi racial and interracial its not as big of an issue there - simply because the college students. Trust me there is a pretty diverse bunch of people there in town!!!

Kelly

Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM

584 posts, read 2,426,000 times
I don't want to assume, but I'm guessing you mean one of you is black and the other is white? (You mentioned Miami so I wasn't sure if maybe you meant Hispanic.) Greenville is a college town, but it's still a small town in the south so you might as well expect to get looked at. No one's gonna say anything to you, but people will do a double take. For example, I have no issue with it - but I do notice it. Not out of dis-approval, but just cause you don't see it every day. So you'll get people noticing because it's not that common and I'm afraid, some will look out of their own issues with it.

However, like many things, the more people see it the more people get over it.

Last edited by Grawburg; 03-04-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: :)

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM

795 posts, read 4,543,550 times
Mangifera --

I typed this post about six different times and found I wasn't comfortable sharing my friends' experiences online.

But I wanted to answer you because I think you are asking an important question and you are getting glossy answers.

North Carolina is a complicated state in terms of attitudes toward race and biracial couples/children, partly because of the influx of people from other states, especially in college towns (like Greenville) and large cities (like Charlotte).

We have some very open, accepting folks, but we also have some very close-minded, shockingly hateful people.

I could tell you some stories that you probably wouldn't believe about some of my friends, but those are really their stories. And, by the same token, I could tell you about how my mixed-race couple friends (and their children) have enriched my life.

So, with that in mind, my suggestion would be that you and your family visit Greenville and the places you might want to live, shop, and eat and just see how you feel.

(Btw, I'm a native North Carolinian, I went to college in Boone and in Greenville, and I lived in Charlotte for years, so I'm telling you what I know based on experience of this state from end to end.)

Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,258,669 times
We live in Winterville just outside of Greenville. We have a very diverse community with mixed races. Last month there was a shooting outside of Walmart, a white girl and black male holding hands. A white Supremest shot at them, and missed thank god, now he is in jail. Things like this are rare. It happens everywhere. Last year when I was visiting the kids in So. Jersey, a convict running from Florida killed a black woman in a parking lot in the mall.
We love Winterville, Greenville everything is centrally located. I suggest as the former poster said come here and look around it is a nice place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina