Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 16,308 times

Advertisements

Please don't be offended. It's just my personal preference, most people have a preference, but don't say it out loud because it's not politically correct.

I live about 30 minutes from Downtown Cleveland (Ohio) right now in a mostly white community. I am thinking of relocating mostly because of the weather, like most people. From the research I've found so far, it seems like a decent area.

Any help? Without being harrassed about my personal preference about the color of my area.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
are you trying to live downtown or in a subdivision?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,308 times
Hi,
Let me give you a little background about myself, it will be easier to offer advice to me if you know it.

I'm a single mom with 2 girls ages 13 and 10.
I am a server (waitress for the older folk, lol) and a college student. I will have my Associates in Business before I move, and plan on going 2 more years to get my Bachelors (BBA) while still serving to support myself and my daughters.
I own a home right now and miss the condo life that we previously had. I am a suburb girl at heart but LOVE living close to a big city (if you want to call Cleveland big).
I live right by Lake Erie and love love love water, just not FROZEN water. My girls and I HATE HATE HATE winter and suffer from S.A.D (Season Affective Disorder) aka depression in the winter months.
Our reasoning for picking the Wilmington area is that it's far enough away from Cleveland that there's hardly any snow (50 degree winters are an amazing thought to me) but close enough that I can drive home to visit a few times a year (10 hours). Also, the beach is a non-negotiable. We MUST live close to water.

THis is what I'm looking for:
-A nice mostly white condo community where my girls can go to a mostly white school (A middle and a high) On city-data, Cleveland is about 50% black and Eastlake where I live is 97% white, abut when I go downtown I go to dance clubs that are mostly white (techno music) and to see my Cavs, Indians, and Brownies. I have no reasons to go to the ghettos unless I get in intense craving for crack lol.

-A nice higher class kind of expensive busy restaurant where I can serve for the next 2 years that has a nice clientele, and you know what I mean by that.

-A close (no more than 1/2 hour away)college where I can get my Bachelors.

-I love being close to freeways, malls, and restaurants. I don't want to live out in BFE where you can't even see your neighbors house.

-No more than 1/2 hour drive away from the beach.

-my mortgage right now is 800, I can't afford any more than that really. I bought my house for 106,000. It's not much but it's enough for my girls and I and in a nice neighborhood close to everything. I do not belive in renting!! It's a waste of money. I want my hard earned money to go towards my own investment, not someone elses.

I think I've pretty much covered everything. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some feedback. If there's something you want to say to me, but don't necessarily want to post it on here, email me at just_jennifer720@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by jmh720; 03-21-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,915 times
Default carolina coast

try carolina beach, almost all white. just about all the beach towns on the carolina coast are predominately white. dont blame you on either count.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:56 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
JMH~ I sure don't blame you for your views. I feel exactly the same. I am relocating too and I always look to see the race breakdown. I'm from Cleveland area too (Strongsville) and avoid black areas at all cost. I left my job of 15 yrs because of it. Look at the areas by the flats that are now over taken by hood rats. Gun fire in the streets in areas that used to be trendy and up and coming. Now even the police don't like to go into the areas.

When I leave Cleveland, I sure don't want to go into another area like that. I used to work at the Cleveland Clinic so you know I was exposed to that area a lot.

Have you looked at Sperlings? I can't post the link But you can compare cities, see demographics on each area.etc. Just google it.

Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
it might be a better idea to look at the crime breakdown than the race breakdown.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM

122 posts, read 482,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
JMH~ I sure don't blame you for your views. I feel exactly the same. I am relocating too and I always look to see the race breakdown. I'm from Cleveland area too (Strongsville) and avoid black areas at all cost. I left my job of 15 yrs because of it. Look at the areas by the flats that are now over taken by hood rats. Gun fire in the streets in areas that used to be trendy and up and coming. Now even the police don't like to go into the areas.

When I leave Cleveland, I sure don't want to go into another area like that. I used to work at the Cleveland Clinic so you know I was exposed to that area a lot.

Have you looked at Sperlings? I can't post the link But you can compare cities, see demographics on each area.etc. Just google it.

Good Luck!
It is so sad what has happened to the Flats! That used to be the place to hang back in the '90s.

Anyway, having relocated here from Akron back in '94, I can tell you that it is much more racially integrated here than in NE OH. Some areas are more white (or black) than others, but you don't have complete white or complete black cities and 'burbs like you do up there. IMHO, there is much less racial tension here in Wilm than in OH in general. We have an occasional shooting or murder now and then, but it is NOTHING like Cuyahoga or Summit counties.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,352 times
You're probably going to have a hard time finding a place in your price range.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFear View Post
In addition, here in Wilmington not only do we have a significant African-American population, but we also have a sizeable latino population, a smaller
asian population, and (GASP!) even an Indian and Middle Eastern population!!! Moderator cut: This post has been edited due to TOS violations

I must say I found your post very offensive. I do not feel that the op is being a racist, I have black friends, but I too feel safer living in a mainly white area. It is not always racial, it is just a preference. And by the way it would be helpful if you could define significant because everything I have heard about the coast is that it does have a high caucasion population.

Not everyone is looking for or attempts to find a culturally diverse environment, one which I might mention is not always positive.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-24-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina