Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: homosexuality, homes for sale in nc, Wilmington new home, back yard.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,848 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone

This coming August me and my boyfriend was considering about moving to North Carolina. Somewhere in the Wilmington area. Were going down the last week of April to look around and check stuff out and spend a week there to see how it is. My question for you is, and Im not trying to make anyone mad, we just really need to know if NC is a safe place for homosexuals. I know there is no safe place but you have to admit, north is safer, but We'd love to live down south near an ocean. We've been together for 8 years and 5 months, so I highly doubt we'd pose a threat LOL.

We're just tired of the winters, nothing to do. Our cats need a back yard cause they can only go out and smell the flowers 4 months out of the year. They love chasing the squrrials and the rabbits, but they'll never catch one LOL. Thanks for the imput!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,657,948 times
Just like anywhere in the USA avoid small towns since they are usually close knit communities. Wilmington has a sizeable gay population due to its weather and film industry. A good source on specific info is to contact the community centers of each city such as one in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Wilmington. You can find that info on the left side of this state wide Gay and Lesbian newspaper. Q-Notes Online

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,474,398 times
Wilmington might suit you. There is a population of gays (couples) in the downtown Wilmington area who seem to be accepted by the general population. Many of them own antique shops, small restaurants, and businesses.

When you are in Wilmington, be sure to have lunch at Jester's Java (Cafe) on Castle Street, and check-out the shops close to the cafe. You will need to get to Jester's either just ahead of the lunch crowd, or closer to 2:00 p.m., but keep in mind they close at 3:00. I think they also offer breakfast now. Great coffee, and wonderful sandwiches.

Nice mix of Wilmington usually having lunch in the little place.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 AM

40 posts, read 230,536 times
Hi Soul6ess, my husband and I just moved here from South Beach, Miami which I'm sure you know has a huge gay population. So far we've seen several gay couples, mostly around the downtown area, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Wilmington is pretty diverse for a small city.

Here's a couple of pics we took on our first trip here before the move. Enjoy your vacation.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,905,896 times
Default Wilmington

I visit Wilmington often and I find it a charming place. The downtown area seems very "Gay friendly". Lots of upscale restaurants, nightlife and interesting people. Remember you are in North Carolina where you have few if no civil rights as a gay person. If you keep that in mind and try to blend in with the locals, I think you will be o.k. Good Luck!!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I visit Wilmington often and I find it a charming place. The downtown area seems very "Gay friendly". Lots of upscale restaurants, nightlife and interesting people. Remember you are in North Carolina where you have few if no civil rights as a gay person. If you keep that in mind and try to blend in with the locals, I think you will be o.k. Good Luck!!

I hope we love it down there. Cause -20 degrees is really getting on my nerves. It stayed that cold for a month and it's still kinda cold, even though it shouldnt be. People keep saying in the NC forum that its hot and misrable in the summer, id rather deal with hot and misrable then so cold you have to turn into an agoraphobic for 4 months.

Everything closes to early in Dayton, Oh. Lol Soooo Boring, it makes you want to pull you're hair out of your head.

In my opinion I think southern homosexuals are more friendly then the northern homosexuals only because of the exceptence, and population in Ohio. But I was raised in Kentucky so I know how awful it can be. As soon as I turned 18 I said "bye mom and dad im moving to OHIO". Everyday in Ky at least one person called me something as a teenager. Once they find out, their on you like DONKEY KONG! LOL LOL Never had any problems in Ohio. Wierd huh, that one state is so interested in you're lifestyle, but the state below it is so against it. I understand what freedom is, but no one should have the freedom to hate. Because we all know where that came from LOL

Last edited by Soul6ess; 03-29-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Those are pretty pictures, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
Hi Soul6ess, my husband and I just moved here from South Beach, Miami which I'm sure you know has a huge gay population. So far we've seen several gay couples, mostly around the downtown area, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Wilmington is pretty diverse for a small city.

Here's a couple of pics we took on our first trip here before the move. Enjoy your vacation.

Last edited by Soul6ess; 03-29-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina