Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 07:28 AM

8 posts, read 7,904 times

Advertisements

Hello ,
While trying to decide between houses I have recently learned that there are currently NO seasonal lifeguards in Topsail / Surfcity beaches. I thought it was odd as they are very popular family beaches and riptides are frequent. Does anyone know if that will change or the reasoning for it ? I can’t find any information except that a bit ago a questionnaire was put out to the community if they wanted any. I have not seen any follow up. I have preteens that would spend all day in the ocean and I prefer beaches with lifeguards. I am currently bidding on a house in Hampstead now and undecided if I should stay with it. After reading so many complaints about traffic and lack of activity this may be another con factor for me before I go through with this.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 09:30 AM

980 posts, read 678,508 times
It’s more of a common sense area? Enter at your own risk. Lifeguards cost money/taxes.
But they may have beach patrols that go up and down the coast. They are very effective in other areas of NC.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,365,644 times
No, not gonna get lifeguards anytime soon I don't think. Many beaches in NC do not have lifeguards. https://www.visitnc.com/story/n4kt/n...feguard-stands

Old 05-31-2021, 04:24 PM

13,376 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, not gonna get lifeguards anytime soon I don't think. Many beaches in NC do not have lifeguards. https://www.visitnc.com/story/n4kt/n...feguard-stands
But the ones that do have seasonal lifeguards include Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher. They are convenient to Wilmington.

BTW, there are occasional shark bites on our coast, so all kids should be taught safety precautions. A lifeguard could warn bathers, but he could not move fast enough to prevent a shark attack.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 AM

249 posts, read 515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
But the ones that do have seasonal lifeguards include Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher. They are convenient to Wilmington.

BTW, there are occasional shark bites on our coast, so all kids should be taught safety precautions. A lifeguard could warn bathers, but he could not move fast enough to prevent a shark attack.

I think the OP is more concerned about drowning, as opposed to a possible encounter with a shark.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:50 AM

The local weather forecasts provide rip-current risks for the beaches. Watch them in the evening before deciding on whether to go to the beach the next day. If the OP does decide on the Hampstead place near Surf City, I suggest setting rules for the kids about how far out they can go, and teach them about the ways to handle rip currents.

BTW, I mentioned sharks, because even if they buy a house near a beach with lifeguards, they will still have to be vigilant with their kids at the beach. The lifeguards cannot protect people against every risk.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Is the water warming up?

Ours is @ 64F currently.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Is the water warming up?

Ours is @ 64F currently.
If ound a website for that, SeaTemperature: https://seatemperature.info/united-s...mperature.html

It says the June 2 temperature was 72.5 degrees F. There seemed to be many people out today based on the surf camera. Come on down!

Old 06-03-2021, 06:03 AM

8 posts, read 7,904 times
Thank you everyone for all the feedback and helpful input. We should be there by the end of the month ( if the inspection clears ) moved in and enjoying the beaches there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina