Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 04:10 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times

Advertisements

One thing HB2 proved, was how weak NC was and currently is.

Florida and Texas have done HB2 equivalents and much more and gave corporations and “outside governments” a huge middle finger. And guess what? Those states are still booming, far greater than NC.

Good example of this is the NCAA, which threatened to not hold certain tournaments in states that limit transgender girls from playing male sports. A few months later, that’s nearly half the country with laws implemented like that. The truth is, the NCAA couldn’t care less, it’s just pandering to bring in a new audience.

I have an unstated opinion on HB2, and that opinion is irrelevant. What’s important is that no one should like it when corporations influence legislation.

McCrory is a very odd senate candidate, he’s way more moderate than y’all give him credit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:34 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
I actually used to participate in the NCGOP conventions, and I know first hand that the toll lanes were *NOT* popular with the actual delegates. They even passed a resolution from the floor stating their objection to them. Another amendment was close to passing to the party platform itself, and Thom Tillis told everyone "If you pass this you will tear the governor's plans in tatters" and he led a faction of delegates out of the hall to break quorum and stop the vote.

Schenanigans like this convinced me that the party poohbahs don't really give a zhit about the voice of the delegates. They just want money to spray propaganda all over the airwaves and stuff mailboxes, persuading few people but lining the pockets of political consultant buddies.

I'm unaffiliated now.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:01 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I actually used to participate in the NCGOP conventions, and I know first hand that the toll lanes were *NOT* popular with the actual delegates. They even passed a resolution from the floor stating their objection to them. Another amendment was close to passing to the party platform itself, and Thom Tillis told everyone "If you pass this you will tear the governor's plans in tatters" and he led a faction of delegates out of the hall to break quorum and stop the vote.
Between Tillis pushing for the toll lanes and the way he rammed the statewide ban on municipal-owned broadband services through the General Assembly, I have no idea how the hell he even got elected to the Senate in 2014 in the first place. In addition to everyone else, he screwed over his conservative base every chance he got when he was still in the General Assembly. He was practically screaming "Don't vote for me!" and he still won. Go figure.

I think Cal Cunningham would've won last year if the dumbass had kept it in his pants. He should've known the optics of cheating on his wife during an election year were gonna be anything but good. Tillis had an empty gun going into that election until Cunningham gave him the ammunition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina