Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM

638 posts, read 994,203 times

Advertisements

Could you do Ocracoke from Wilmington as a day trip and really enjoy it?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Could you do Ocracoke from Wilmington as a day trip and really enjoy it?
If you went there by car and ferry (according to Google maps), you would spend 5 hours and 35 minutes just to get there, assuming you made good connections to the ferry. You could spend a couple hours on the ground and go back the same way. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and would stay overnight. You might look into private airline connections if you only have one day.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:07 AM

286 posts, read 569,887 times
Agree. It's a long ferry ride, and a longer drive from Wilmington to Cedar Island.
I love Ocracoke and all, but even from Greenville a day trip was a bit much on travel time.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you went there by car and ferry (according to Google maps), you would spend 5 hours and 35 minutes just to get there, assuming you made good connections to the ferry. You could spend a couple hours on the ground and go back the same way. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and would stay overnight. You might look into private airline connections if you only have one day.
The only problem with spending the night is we can't find a nice,reasonable place. Private airline connections? Is it worth that?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM

286 posts, read 569,887 times
If you're going after labor day you might be able to rent one of the houses for a single day.
Renting an airplane will cost more than any hotel.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
If you're going after labor day you might be able to rent one of the houses for a single day.
Renting an airplane will cost more than any hotel.
Isn't that the truth and we don't think it's worth it!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,728,520 times
You won't have to pay high rates for a motel. Basically just gas and some snacks. I left early this past Sunday morning and drove six hours one way and drove six hours back. I still had more than enough time to do everything I wanted and then some. If you plan right you'll be amazed at how much you can get done. Life is way too short not to enjoy it.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Only place Ocracoke is good for a day-trip is coming from Hatteras or the northern Outer Banks area. Five hours on a ferry, for a day trip, isn't my idea of fun.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
You won't have to pay high rates for a motel. Basically just gas and some snacks. I left early this past Sunday morning and drove six hours one way and drove six hours back. I still had more than enough time to do everything I wanted and then some. If you plan right you'll be amazed at how much you can get done. Life is way too short not to enjoy it.
I agree whole heartedly. However,you still have to be realistic and use your common sense. Unless you're staying in a dump,the rates are still high. Believe me,we've checked. Between that,the gas,the ferry expense and eating,it just doesn't seem worth it. There's much better ways to use that money to enjoy life.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:59 PM

278 posts, read 577,211 times
We stayed at the Pony Island Inn, it was reasonable and clean, we don't need anymore than that, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina